Is HP Thinking About A WP8 Device?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Came across this at precentral. HP might be joining the Windows Phone gang as well | Windows Phone Sauce

What about it? Would you give HP a try if they came back to the smartphone arena? I, for one, would seriously consider it. My fave phones/PDA's from the past have been HP units. In fact I keep a Glisten in my bag for emergency use. They always had solidly built iPaq phones and the HX4700 was the absolute best during the PDA days.

Before replying, remember this is a yes or no question and we don't need another hate-fest. If you hate HP, for whatever reason, keep it to yourself.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
could be interesting to see. I would welcome it the more people on board the better. just hope they promote the phone if they release one

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
HP has solid designs solid brand but they need a new CEO who can refresh the brands image from a dull business like brand to a fresh new brand that really represents a fresh brand new ecosystem.

I find that Windows OEM's are always missing 1 or 2 key features from making the product from good to great

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I would be surprised if HP decided to attempt a Windows Phone over Android. Android still has a significantly larger marketshare.

I can see HP's reasoning, though, given computer manufacturers' failure selling Android devices. HP may also not necessarily be looking for a smartphone that sells the most units. It may choose to manufacture Windows Phones just to complete an HP-Windows 8 ecosystem for businesses. This way, a business can order Windows 8 computers, tablets, and smartphones all in one neat, little package.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
HP burned a LOT of people with Web OS. Unless they offered some sort of compensation for former Web OS/Palm owners - I doubt I'll shuck out any money in their direction. I really don't have much faith in them, and haven' really been impressed with their devices - printers are horrible, buggy, drink ink ( and then there's that whole issue where he printers were reporting low ink, but in fact were not), their laptops are flimsy and don't hold up well to actual mobile use. Just because they saturate a market doesn't equate to a good product.

I think Acer is better than HP product wise. HP does have the money though and a long standing relationship with Microsoft products - so it wouldn't be surprising for them to jump on the W8 band wagon for tablets. Whether that will carry over to the smartphone device venue - I doubt it - they pretty much said they wouldn't when they nixxed Web OS phones.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Whether I end up liking what they put out or not, choice is good and competition breeds improvement. In all for having as many OEMs on board as possible.

LowRentTechGuy

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes I would and I would hope HP leverages correctly to get in an exclusive deal to produce WP 8 and Windows 8 hardware for the sake of effortless integration.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The chance of HP turning out anything except solid but unmemorable hardware is low.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I would be surprised if HP decided to attempt a Windows Phone over Android. Android still has a significantly larger marketshare.

I can see HP's reasoning, though, given computer manufacturers' failure selling Android devices. HP may also not necessarily be looking for a smartphone that sells the most units. It may choose to manufacture Windows Phones just to complete an HP-Windows 8 ecosystem for businesses. This way, a business can order Windows 8 computers, tablets, and smartphones all in one neat, little package.
HP was never about marketshare. If memory serves me correct, only a few devices ever made it to carriers. The innovative (for its time) but horrible H6300's on T-Mob, the Cingular HW6900 series and the AT&T Glisten. They have always been enterprise-centric with their mobile devices so your logic is solid. Maybe with WP8 they can finally accomplish what they meant to do with the Pre3 and Touchpad combo.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It would make more sense than entering the already oversaturated Android market where they would have to compete head on with the Samsung leviathan. Its a damn shame they bungled WebOS, it had such potential. :( I would consider an HP phone, I had an iPaq PDA years ago and it was very well made. It would take an incredible phone to get me to leave Nokia though. Another boring unimaginative gray plastic Windows Phone wouldn't do it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It would make more sense than entering the already oversaturated Android market where they would have to compete head on with the Samsung leviathan. Its a damn shame they bungled WebOS, it had such potential. :( I would consider an HP phone, I had an iPaq PDA years ago and it was very well made. It would take an incredible phone to get me to leave Nokia though. Another boring unimaginative gray plastic Windows Phone wouldn't do it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
Can HP interest you in a boring unimaginative black plastic Windows Phone?

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It really kinda depends for me. My first PDA's were the later H and hx iPAQ's. They were all great devices and had lots of options and benefits that no other PDA at the time offered. They were all also HTC built devices, back before HTC built branded devices. I never had the 4700, most of mine were the 2000 series. Then I moved on to the Dell x51v and still use it to some degree. Even it was a HTC built device. That's why I've been pretty much an HTC user, they always made a quality device, so I've thought.

I guess it really just all depends on the device they introduce. I wouldn't be overt to another HP device. Om not really a Die Hard HTC guy either. I'll pretty much go with what my cell provider provides me, so long as it does what I need it to do.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It really kinda depends for me. My first PDA's were the later H and hx iPAQ's. They were all great devices and had lots of options and benefits that no other PDA at the time offered. They were all also HTC built devices, back before HTC built branded devices. I never had the 4700, most of mine were the 2000 series. Then I moved on to the Dell x51v and still use it to some degree. Even it was a HTC built device. That's why I've been pretty much an HTC user, they always made a quality device, so I've thought.

I guess it really just all depends on the device they introduce. I wouldn't be overt to another HP device. Om not really a Die Hard HTC guy either. I'll pretty much go with what my cell provider provides me, so long as it does what I need it to do.
What didn't HTC build? They also made the godfather of all smartphones - the original Palm Treos.

Jeff Kibuule

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't see HP coming to the table until there is some serious synergy between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. I can however see OEMs getting a discount on Windows 8 licenses if they make and market Windows Phone 8 devices though. And since no one really knows how much the individual cost of a license is, other OEMs can't get angry about their deal.

Rocky IV

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Biggest advantage would be easy compatibility between phone, tablet, and PC, if they do it right. Imagine perfect touch to share from every device you have and your printer. :D

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Biggest advantage would be easy compatibility between phone, tablet, and PC, if they do it right. Imagine perfect touch to share from every device you have and your printer. :D
Touch to share? That would involve another bluetooth profile and we can't even get file sharing or PAN. It'd be nice to have and make me miss webOS even less, but I doubt it.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't long ago that HP was going to sell their whole mobile division (tablets, laptops, etc) and now they are thinking about smartphones? I wouldn't mind having an HP windows phone on the market, but right now I don't see myself buying anything but a Nokia as my next phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb