What will WP8 hardware look like

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually think this one is pretty easy. The big OEMs (Samsung and HTC) have spent large amounts of money on their current designs (HTC One Series, Samsung GS3) so I think that all they will do is make WP8 versions of their current designs:

HTC will have WP8 versions of the One X (720P 4.7"), One S (was qHD but could be 720P or drop down to WVGA) and One V (3.7" WVGA).

Samsung will just make a WP8 version of the GS3 (4.8" 720P, 2GB ram, 16GB/32GB versions with microSD, NFC).

Nokia may just upgrade the hardware on the 800/900 for their new lines.

Open to other ideas???

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I actually think this one is pretty easy. The big OEMs (Samsung and HTC) have spent large amounts of money on their current designs (HTC One Series, Samsung GS3) so I think that all they will do is make WP8 versions of their current designs:

HTC will have WP8 versions of the One X (720P 4.7"), One S (was qHD but could be 720P or drop down to WVGA) and One V (3.7" WVGA).

Samsung will just make a WP8 version of the GS3 (4.8" 720P, 2GB ram, 16GB/32GB versions with microSD, NFC).

Open to other ideas???
Nokia on pureview :D

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
L900 with a decrease in bezel size add In nfc, hd screen, and A ti omap 5xxx processor would have me sold. I the HTC one s with a hd screen along with a bigger battery running wp8 would be great. As far as samsung sgs3 design but slightly smaller 4.65 inch screen would make me double take

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
L900 with a decrease in bezel size add In nfc, hd screen, and A ti omap 5xxx processor would have me sold. I the HTC one s with a hd screen along with a bigger battery running wp8 would be great. As far as samsung sgs3 design but slightly smaller 4.65 inch screen would make me double take

Verizon still doesn't have a good enough selection of WP phones and I just pre-ordered a SGS3 as my last opportunity to get a subsidized high end device. While I will await the arrival of the phone my initial thought is it is too big and I wish they had gone with a 4.5-4.6" screen with the smaller bezel. I may have to adjust to the larger phone or just return and pay full retail going forward (the only way to keep my current calling plan and data plan). I would love to wait for WP8 (currently on Android) but right now it's not in the cards. WP8 looks great but MS has lost a lot of time by not having competitive phones on Verizon (the Trophy just didn't look future proof enough for me) and Sprint. It will be interesting to see where the market share goes in the first year of release. Apple is selling a 100 million plus iPhones, Android is activating 1 MILLION DEVICES (mostly phones since the tablets aren't selling) a DAY and Samsung just got 10 Million pre-orders for the GS3. The longer someone is in an ecosystem (Apple/Android) the less likely they are to switch because of inertia/cost (even on Android I have a significant investment of money, time and energy in the OS and my apps). While I know WP is supposed to be easier once you get used to anything (I go way back to the non graphical DOS days (circa 1984)) it becomes hard to use something else (I hated Macs in the late 80s when I tried them). WP8 is going to be fighting the same conversion inertia - Also, Android to me is very much like the Win 3.1/Win 95 era - it is getting better and better with every iteration and the dissatisfaction level of Android users is no where near as high as some would make it out to be and whenever I meet an iPhone user (I usually ask people about their tech - I'm always interested) the satisfaction rate is 100% (granted this is an unscientific poll - I am talking about 100s of people) and I have yet to meet someone looking to switch from an iPhone. While I hope WP8 succeeds there is no market imperative that states there must be three successful mobile platforms - I believe competition is great and you can even look at Apple lowering the cost of entry to their platform as a victory for competition (iPad 2 is only $399, and iPhone 3GS is free on contract). That is another HUGE barrier for WP8 - iPhone 5 may lower iPhone 4S to $99 and iPhone 4 to free/$49.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I know most of us don't want refurbished android stuff, but I'm using an HTC rezound right know and I have to say if a WP was running this hardware it would be awe inspiring! Can't wait for WP8!

Sent from my Rezound

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Verizon still doesn't have a good enough selection of WP phones and I just pre-ordered a SGS3 as my last opportunity to get a subsidized high end device. While I will await the arrival of the phone my initial thought is it is too big and I wish they had gone with a 4.5-4.6" screen with the smaller bezel. I may have to adjust to the larger phone or just return and pay full retail going forward (the only way to keep my current calling plan and data plan). I would love to wait for WP8 (currently on Android) but right now it's not in the cards. WP8 looks great but MS has lost a lot of time by not having competitive phones on Verizon (the Trophy just didn't look future proof enough for me) and Sprint. It will be interesting to see where the market share goes in the first year of release. Apple is selling a 100 million plus iPhones, Android is activating 1 MILLION DEVICES (mostly phones since the tablets aren't selling) a DAY and Samsung just got 10 Million pre-orders for the GS3. The longer someone is in an ecosystem (Apple/Android) the less likely they are to switch because of inertia/cost (even on Android I have a significant investment of money, time and energy in the OS and my apps). While I know WP is supposed to be easier once you get used to anything (I go way back to the non graphical DOS days (circa 1984)) it becomes hard to use something else (I hated Macs in the late 80s when I tried them). WP8 is going to be fighting the same conversion inertia - Also, Android to me is very much like the Win 3.1/Win 95 era - it is getting better and better with every iteration and the dissatisfaction level of Android users is no where near as high as some would make it out to be and whenever I meet an iPhone user (I usually ask people about their tech - I'm always interested) the satisfaction rate is 100% (granted this is an unscientific poll - I am talking about 100s of people) and I have yet to meet someone looking to switch from an iPhone. While I hope WP8 succeeds there is no market imperative that states there must be three successful mobile platforms - I believe competition is great and you can even look at Apple lowering the cost of entry to their platform as a victory for competition (iPad 2 is only $399, and iPhone 3GS is free on contract). That is another HUGE barrier for WP8 - iPhone 5 may lower iPhone 4S to $99 and iPhone 4 to free/$49.

You can expect a lot of cheap wp8 phones. It not just high End you know right?. Fot someone sayin wp8 Is not
Good enough is just dumb and we haven't even heard all of the features yet.

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It sure seems like the Pure View tech is too big for a mainstream device.

I don't buy that. We had 7mm devices back in 2007 with ultraseries, but 17 million people bought Nokia N95 because of all the features back then. If people see the feature worth it, they wont mind nicely designed phone that has 13mm bulge.

Also the sensor size is flexible as PureView doesn't mean 41MP, the tech makes just as much sense on 20MP sensor, though going below that probably makes no sense as lossless zoom and oversampling take too much of a hit.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't buy that. We had 7mm devices back in 2007 with ultraseries, but 17 million people bought Nokia N95 because of all the features back then. If people see the feature worth it, they wont mind nicely designed phone that has 13mm bulge.

Also the sensor size is flexible as PureView doesn't mean 41MP, the tech makes just as much sense on 20MP sensor, though going below that probably makes no sense as lossless zoom and oversampling take too much of a hit.

Agreed, Besides, look at a phone like the 4s. It's thin, but then people throw on cases that make it the thickest phone out there. I don't think a little girth for a PureView phone is such a bad thing.

lol, I can see a commercial airing, in Europe, where some ladies are checking out some guys package. They start to flirt with him. You hear a Nokia ring tone, he pulls a PureView out of his pocket, mentos style, and a Nokia logo pops up.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia will bring new designs. The 610 and 710 aren't carbon copies of other Nokia devices, and their line-up is pretty visually diverse. Personally hope they'll pursue at least one design in the vein of the N8 / E7.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
We also need successors to the Lumia 710, Focus 2 and Radar - basically, solid WP8 devices for the mid-level market. I'd like to see a device with dual core, FFC and LTE offered at $250-300 without contract.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Open to other ideas???

I think there's more for Samsung it's not just one phone. Maybe they do a phone with the ace plus design maybe. Or a larger omnia w or a wp note. Who knows :)

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
All OEMs are going to release a dual or quad core phone, also with an HD screen and lots of tech "candy" like NFC, enough RAM and superb cameras. Top notch everything, although we're gonna see also some low end devices of course like the Lumia 610, which in my opinion are gonna to have at least 1GHz CPU for WP8. Just mt opinion.. :p

Oh yes, and maybe they will just adjust the phones and release a WP8 edition of current phones.. Hardware the same, only the OS different :)

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
and release a WP8 edition of current phones.. Hardware the same, only the OS different :)

they better frickin not. If they tell us oh sorry, your phone can't run windows phone 8 and then release devices with the same specs as our current phones but running windows phone 8, people will be seriously and justifiably pissed off

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
they better frickin not. If they tell us oh sorry, your phone can't run windows phone 8 and then release devices with the same specs as our current phones but running windows phone 8, people will be seriously and justifiably pissed off

No no, I think you misunderstood me. I meant like this, the current flagship phones of all OEMs are having top notch hardware, but the operating system is Android, for example the Galaxy S3, One X, and others. I thought that they just put WP8 onto these devices, and voila, there you go, 1st gen devices inbound with top hardware for a looong time on WP8. And with that I'm aiming on the success of WP7, which runs buttery smooth on today already average hardware. Imagine that system, with such performance on that hardware like WP7 has now, which is lets say at least twice as strong as the current.. It would be more or less simple to adjust the phones, a few tweaks and it's done.

Addon: that hardware which is now in these phones, will "hold on" for a nice amount of time.. Come on, look on the other side, what are people using quad or dual core phones for? Not really much of hard work, nor they're fully taking advantage of all the cores in te phone, I think..

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung and HTC's hardware will be rehashed (like everyone else said), but I have no idea what Nokia will do. All I know is that it will be hot

Markyyy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
(Keep in mind my expieriences are based on me owning a Lumia 800)

I hope Nokia keep the same designs as their current lumia handsets, the larger 900 device and the smaller, more discreet 800 device size.

I'd like to see the curved glass display of the L800 make it's way to the larger device. The lumia 900 just looks like a bulky plain boring block to me. I think with the curved glass screen, it would appear slimmer, sexier.

The display MUST cover a larger area of the face of the devices ("edge-to-edge" displays). This is where the iPhone will be going come october with their new iPhone 5 launch, and it's already a feature of many android phones; thin bezels. Nokia'd 800 has too much 'frame' around the display. Keep the curved polycabonate sides, but stretch the display to cover more of the glass front. This is a MUST. The lumia 800 display feels small when using the browser (this might be because of the low res display though. I'm used to using my iPad :p)

Better speakers. The speaker in my L800 just isnt pleasant. I want a good quality speaker so I can actually enjoy playing music through it. It just sounds noisy.

The vibrator isnt agressive enough. When my phone's volume is down, I rarely feel the phone vibrating in my pocket. The phone is noisy when it vibrates (I've heard this might be something to do with the camera lens being loose?)

The door for connecting the handset to USB needs to go. It's too awkward. You feel scared to use the device while it's plugged in because of how flimsy the little plastic door is. Just go with an open port, but make it look as nice and sleek as the headphone jack port. The door is just silly. It puts me off charging my phone.

Better camera. The camera on my L800 is just not good. The camera needs to rival the quality of the iPhone's camera.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
No no, I think you misunderstood me. I meant like this, the current flagship phones of all OEMs are having top notch hardware, but the operating system is Android, for example the Galaxy S3, One X, and others. I thought that they just put WP8 onto these devices, and voila, there you go, 1st gen devices inbound with top hardware for a looong time on WP8. And with that I'm aiming on the success of WP7, which runs buttery smooth on today already average hardware. Imagine that system, with such performance on that hardware like WP7 has now, which is lets say at least twice as strong as the current.. It would be more or less simple to adjust the phones, a few tweaks and it's done.

Addon: that hardware which is now in these phones, will "hold on" for a nice amount of time.. Come on, look on the other side, what are people using quad or dual core phones for? Not really much of hard work, nor they're fully taking advantage of all the cores in te phone, I think..

yes I misunderstood. I thought you meant the same as current windows phones.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Open to other ideas???
I don't like when Samsung and HTC just rebrand the same Android device for WP. Give us something new and exciting. I like the 900 and hope Nokia makes it a little thinner and adds pureview.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077