A Galaxy S3 Windows Phone will dominate...

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
As much as some of you would like to trash Samsung, I'm more than certain when they release this rumored device, A GS3 like WP8 device, this phone will completely outsell any other windows phone 8 device. It will dominate any other WP8 device without question. Nokia may "feel" better to a lot the Sammy haters, but make no mistake, Sammy's handsets are built extremely well and with the same materials (polycarbonate). But with removable battery and storage. A huge PLUS! The problem with Nokia is that their phones are super thick and heavy. Those are two things a MOBILE DEVICE should not be. The lumia 900 looks nice from the front, but as soon as you see how thick and heavy the darn thing is, it's totally disgusting. Then you put a case on the damn thing, and the issue becomes amplified. The GS3 is the bigger device, but feels much smaller thanks to it's thinness and lightness compared to the brick of a device that is the lumia 900. So as much as you want to love your Nokia, you can't deny that the GS3 is one helluva device, and with it running WP8, it will be even better. Which means more WP8 phones on the market, more market share, and more apps, and then more manufactures. Sammy will be key in WP8 being a success. And hopefully this will also give Nokia a kick in the butt to make thinner and lighter phones. We are not in the early 2000s anymore.

And to those who were saying specs are not important, well how do you like your legacy device running window 7.8 now?
Sammy put 2 GB of RAM in the US GS3 for reasons that it would run future OS upgrades smoothly. You see why specs are important now? Stop kissing butt to your manufacturer of choice and making excuses for them when they release a high end device with specs that are mediocre. Demand better.

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
agreed. it will dominate in popularity
samsung = wp popularity in US
Nokia = specs with pureview tech. more popular worldwide. the nexus-like OEM

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
agreed. it will dominate in popularity
samsung = wp popularity in US
Nokia = specs with pureview tech. more popular worldwide. the nexus-like OEM

Actually Sammy is running the Table in world sales, so world popularity goes to them. The Pureview 808 is a niche product. It won't do the sales number Nokia and WP need. The lumia 800/900 will sell better. The Pureview 808 is a Camera with cellphone capabilities. People want a cellphone with camera capabilities. Again, thick heavy phones are not what the masses will run to. Good thing it's the last Symbian device.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually Sammy is running the Table in world sales, so world popularity goes to them. The Pureview 808 is a niche product. It won't do the sales number Nokia and WP need. The lumia 800/900 will sell better. The Pureview 808 is a Camera with cellphone capabilities. People want a cellphone with camera capabilities. Again, thick heavy phones are not what the masses will run to. Good thing it's the last Symbian device.
Yea. I can see why want to compete with nokia with wp. while i agree it's going to be the most popular windows phone. I do not think it's the flagship phone though

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
And to those who were saying specs are not important, well how do you like your legacy device running window 7.8 now?
Sammy put 2 GB of RAM in the US GS3 for reasons that it would run future OS upgrades smoothly. You see why specs are important now? Stop kissing butt to your manufacturer of choice and making excuses for them when they release a high end device with specs that are mediocre. Demand better.

The reason phones are stuck with 7.8 has nothing to do with how much power they have. In addition, Microsoft has made it impossible to make a phone with non-mediocre specs because they have very strict requirements

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
So the Lumia is disgusting now. Good to know.

Sorry, didn't mean it to come across as harsh, It's just the opposite way of talk to how people call their phones "sexy" when they like the form factor. The Lumia 900 is just too heavy and thick as a mobile device. And on top of that it's now a phone that will no longer get updates or any new apps made for Windows Phone 8. So anyone buying one now or who bought one when it came out has a right to be very disappointed. Especially if they left Android for the lack of updates and expected not to run into the same lack of updates with their new WP.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree. Why? Because Samsung isn't going to advertise it

MS should do some of the aggressive advertising for WP8. They have the biggest stake in WP8 succeeding. For televised and youtube commercials, talk about how great the features of WP8 is; all the while showing images of people using those features on high end phones from Nokia, Samsung, and HTC. And make sure people get a good look at those displays. But the commercial would be more focused on WP8. A commercial like that will do them some good exposure. And will let people know of what's out there. Of course the Manufacturers would do their own commercials at the same time strictly showcasing their very own devices.

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, didn't mean it to come across as harsh, It's just the opposite way of talk to how people call their phones "sexy" when they like the form factor. The Lumia 900 is just too heavy and thick as a mobile device. And on top of that it's now a phone that will no longer get updates or any new apps made for Windows Phone 8. So anyone buying one now or who bought one when it came out has a right to be very disappointed. Especially if they left Android for the lack of updates and expected not to run into the same lack of updates with their new WP.

The Lumia 900, especially in cyan, is a much more attractive device than the GS3 for me. If Samsung can put all the neat stuff from the GS3 into a WP it will certainly be a winner, but I wouldn't rule Nokia out.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
First of all, second gen Nokia devices will have removable storage.

Second, rumors point to thinner devices.

That being said, the Lumia 710 was extremely light weight, had removable battery, and had decent display and the same processor as the Lumia 900.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
With the big lawsuit win by Apple, Samsung might only be making WP and BB10 phones in the future. I also read that Apple is going to demand that Samsung take the GS3 off the market in the U.S.

I've seen the GS3 and it's a beautiful phone.

One thing I don't like about all the newer phones from any manufacturer, is they are all becoming too thin and fragile. Look at all the thread we have here where people say they dropped their phone from 2ft getting out of the car and the screen shattered. I work construction and I see it happen all the time with newer phones.

If you dropped a GS3, that didn't have a heavy duty Otterbox case, kiss it goodbye.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
With the big lawsuit win by Apple, Samsung might only be making WP and BB10 phones in the future. I also read that Apple is going to demand that Samsung take the GS3 off the market in the U.S.

I've seen the GS3 and it's a beautiful phone.

One thing I don't like about all the newer phones from any manufacturer, is they are all becoming too thin and fragile. Look at all the thread we have here where people say they dropped their phone from 2ft getting out of the car and the screen shattered. I work construction and I see it happen all the time with newer phones.

If you dropped a GS3, that didn't have a heavy duty Otterbox case, kiss it goodbye.
Not BB10. they stated they will not be involved in RIM's stuff. more like more focus on windows phone than on android :)

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Not totally true, but all the reason why you want a phone that is thin and light to begin with. So that when you do put on a case it doesn't become thicker and heavier where it feels like too much. If you put on a simple TPU case on a GS3 it more than protects it from simple drops from waist high drops. All the while still feeling comfortable to hold. And most of us do put a case on our devices.

I also read that Apple is going to demand that Samsung take the GS3 off the market in the U.S.

Won't happen, the phone physically looks nothing like an idevice. If it requires any software patches, it can be done OTA. That's how they got rid of the Google Search bar on the home screen. The GS3 was not even in the lawsuit.

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Not totally true, but all the reason why you want a phone that is thin and light to begin with. So that when you do put on a case it doesn't become thicker and heavier where it feels like too much. If you put on a simple TPU case on a GS3 it more than protects it from simple drops from waist high drops. All the while still feeling comfortable to hold. And most of us do put a case on our devices.

Won't happen, the phone physically looks nothing like an idevice. If it requires any software patches, it can be done OTA. That's how they got rid of the Google Search bar on the home screen. The GS3 was not even in the lawsuit.

LOL! I like the feel of a thicker phone. I don't want a thin/fragile/light phone Taking nothing away from the GS3. It's a beautiful phone.

I know the GS3 was not part of lawsuit, it wasn't out yet. The GS2 was. I just read that Apple might try to get it pulled, but the Judge would have to rule on that. Plus Samsung has started the appeal process, so it could quite a while before anything happens.

...and don't think that i don't like Samsung. I have a GS2 :D

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While the Galaxy S III may be an extremely powerful device, it wouldn't be my first choice of a WP8 phone. I'm not a fan of how slippery it is and the fact that it is a fingerprint magnet. I also prefer capacitive buttons over the physical home button. Having a phone with a little heft to it also allows you to get a more secure grip on the device and makes it much less likely that you will drop it. How about we all just admit that we have different tastes and that there will probably be a device to suit each of us?

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
...and don't think that I don't like Samsung. I have a GS2 :D
I don't like Samsung but Samsung doesn't like me either, tried a few. :D

A670>Blackjack>Captivate>Focus Flash>GSM Galaxy Nexus.

I kept the Blackjack for 6 months but all the others less than a week.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Last edited:

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
While the Galaxy S III may be an extremely powerful device, it wouldn't be my first choice of a WP8 phone. I'm not a fan of how slippery it is and the fact that it is a fingerprint magnet. I also prefer capacitive buttons over the physical home button. Having a phone with a little heft to it also allows you to get a more secure grip on the device and makes it much less likely that you will drop it. How about we all just admit that we have different tastes and that there will probably be a device to suit each of us?

I like "a little heft" as well. I like to use the term "Maglite quality" to describe items that feel solid and genuine when handled, and it's something that is often lacking in phones. The two top Lumias have it, and HTC usually manages to get it as well, even with their low-end plastic droids. And, I have to say, it's probably likely that many have bought a mobile Apple device because of it. Even the MacBook Air, as thin and light as it is, still has something that makes it feel more solid than it should.

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The s3 has great specs, but the only thing I want is the 16bit dac, which provides superior audio quality.

I much prefer the looks of Nokia phones, and we all know Nokia will provide the best software support.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs