Is this Nokia's best after all the Smack Talk?

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Well after looking at the new leaked images in the News section today, I'm really leaning in the direction of the Ativ S. The 820 looks worse than the 800 in my opinion, and the 920 looks just like a 900. The thing that sticks out the most for me is the size of the bezels on these phones. Especially the 900, if it's got a 4.5 inch screen, then how big is the overall phone if the bezels look that big? Wow, thought after all the smack talk Nokia have been delivering, they would have brought something more to the game than just a rehash of last year's form factor with new kindergarten color scheme. Bold colors are not attractive to the masses. I'm concerned that a Nokia display with such bold colored phones will turn away more people than attract them. Hopefully they only use the black, white and silver ones for their displays. And I really hope the phones are not as shiny as they show in these leaked pics as well. Let's hope HTC bring out something as nice and professional looking as the Ativ S. Very disappointing, but hope they look better in person.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Huh? Why black and white only, like everybody else? What's wrong with bright colours? I personally like them, and about the people who think I'm childish because of the colour if my phone: so what, as Pink used to sing! Furthermore, there IS black and white for those who prefer it, so I don't really see the problem.

BTW: I spend my hard-earned money on things I like and not based on what the general public (whoever that is) might or might not think about it. Why should I care? And: the trend is non-colours still. Trends change. Do you wanna be a trendsetter or a follower?:p

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Well after looking at the new leaked images in the News section today, I'm really leaning in the direction of the Ativ S. The 820 looks worse than the 800 in my opinion, and the 920 looks just like a 900. The thing that sticks out the most for me is the size of the bezels on these phones. Especially the 900, if it's got a 4.5 inch screen, then how big is the overall phone if the bezels look that big? Wow, thought after all the smack talk Nokia have been delivering, they would have brought something more to the game than just a rehash of last year's form factor with new kindergarten color scheme. Bold colors are not attractive to the masses. I'm concerned that a Nokia display with such bold colored phones will turn away more people than attract them. Hopefully they only use the black, white and silver ones for their displays. And I really hope the phones are not as shiny as they show in these leaked pics as well. Let's hope HTC bring out something as nice and professional looking as the Ativ S. Very disappointing, but hope they look better in person.
Exactly what I've been sayin! :straight:

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Let's wait 24 hrs before Nokia bashing, eh? Let them officially announce what's in store for us. Then you can judge.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with the 920 or the Ativ S. They both look like solid phones. I think I'm leaning toward the 920 though... I miss my wireless charging that I had with my Franken Pre 2 :'(

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure I like the button location on the Lumia 920. Does anyone have a problem with it on their 900?
I typically use my left hand for holding my phone and in just about every left handed picture I see the fingers are resting on that center button.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Let's wait 24 hrs before Nokia bashing, eh? Let them officially announce what's in store for us. Then you can judge.

The OP has been on a Nokia bashing/Samsung loving blitz lately, no surprise he's talking down the Nokia phones and tomorrows event. Which is actually an event, and not just 2 minutes within a whole presentation about other stuff, like Samsung did in their Ativ announcement.

And lets not say the Ativ isnt a good looking phone, it is. But Nokia as always is going to do much more than just produce a phone and nothing else, which it seems Samsung is doing. They are not talking about it in any way so already its being overshadowed. With Nokia already we've seen leaks of different colours, accessories and there is probably still much more to be revealed tomorrow.

And all these reasons are why Nokia WP devices are regarded as the best of all the WP OEM's. The design may be recycled, and that I too do not like. But overall the experience of owning a Nokia WP is just so far above any other WP OEM that ultimately that will not matter. Some people just cant handle that fact. :cool:

I am not sure I like the button location on the Lumia 920. Does anyone have a problem with it on their 900?
I typically use my left hand for holding my phone and in just about every left handed picture I see the fingers are resting on that center button.

No problems for me, even though my fingers may rest on it the buttons dont activate accidentally. And with the size having the buttons right beneath your fingers means no stretching to turn it on.

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
From what is known so far, the ATIV is the bare minimum commitment from Samsung. It's a nice handset, no doubt, but they couldn't do much less with a view to producing a high-end WP8 handset. On the other hand, I find myself a little concerned with the heft of the Nokia (so in a roundabout way, thank god there's no camera bump on top!).

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Because Apple had no success with their multicolor iPods.

The ATIV is cheap... I don't want fake metal painted on plastic. The Nokia polycarbonate is durable and colored all the way thru.

Samsung makes a lot of nice things, especially TVs but I never understood why people like their phones.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
From what is known so far, the ATIV is the bare minimum commitment from Samsung. It's a nice handset, no doubt, but they couldn't do much less with a view to producing a high-end WP8 handset. On the other hand, I find myself a little concerned with the heft of the Nokia (so in a roundabout way, thank god there's no camera bump on top!).

Huh? It matches their best phone ( and the best Android phone yet ) in specs 1:1 and on top of that adds some cool new design features and a bigger battery.

Is a great showing by them, that's not bare minimum at all.

Nokia however, had an amazing camera that they won't put on their WP8 phones and just told fans to "Get over it" on Twitter!!!!!!. They will get over it alright, by buying the ATIV.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I kinda agree in the sense that they waiting a year for this? I mean the phone are nice but let need to think out of the box less bezel more screen maybe one with a keyboard idk I just feel these phone will be outshined and not cared about within a month... Just my 2 cents tho. The ativ isnt all the better tho I mean it's like a downgraded sgs3 or something... And fake metal? That's not commitment.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
@Winterfang
1) Design is a matter of taste. I prefer the Lumia 920 one (considered the leak is real). Some prefer the Ativ design. There is no right or wrong here, there is only personal opinion.
2) It would have been quite unrealistic to believe the Nokia 808 sensor could be copied over to WP8 so quickly. I mean, why should Nokia have started selling the Nokia 808 symbian phone in Summer 2012 if they had planned to sell a WP8 41 mp device in the same year? Doesn't make sense to me. A WP with a knock-out camera is desireable, I must admit, but just not realistic at this time (Unless I'll be surprised ... after all, I don't own a crystal ball and I can't read the future :lol:)

Regarding specs: So the Ativ has a big battery. The Lumia 920 has (if the leak is real) a wireless charger. We have a draw here - so far (Until all specs are known) IMHO.

BTW, is anything known regarding screen resolutions?

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I kinda agree in the sense that they waited a year for this? I mean the phones are nice but they need to think out of the box less bezel more screen maybe one with a keyboard not to mention no pureview... idk I just feel these phone will be outshined and not cared about within a month... Just my 2 cents tho. The ativ isnt all the better tho I mean it's like a downgraded sgs3 or something... And fake metal? That's not commitment.

Sparkyscrum

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Huh? It matches their best phone ( and the best Android phone yet ) in specs 1:1 and on top of that adds some cool new design features and a bigger battery.

Is a great showing by them, that's not bare minimum at all.

Nokia however, had an amazing camera that they won't put on their WP8 phones and just told fans to "Get over it" on Twitter!!!!!!. They will get over it alright, by buying the ATIV.

Bare commitment because its a rehash of a phone. If Samsung was serious about WP8 they'd had more than one device and they'd invest money in developing handsets.

Instead they offer a single phone at a time where they are under attack from Apple. Looks more like an attempt to get their opitions open as they're own OS is delayed.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The phone still matches the best they have to offer. They didn't cut anything, they put their latest technology on the phone.

Samsung Phone isn't some hand me down like the Focus 2. It's Samsung taking WP8 serious.

Samsung may had the best first, second and third gen Windows Phone.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Regarding specs: So the Ativ has a big battery. The Lumia 920 has (if the leak is real) a wireless charger. We have a draw here - so far (Until all specs are known) IMHO.

But a wireless charger isn't actually any more useful than a micro-USB charger. You still need to have your device sitting still next to a wall outlet while it charges, and plugging it in isn't really any harder than setting it on a special plate. A larger onboard battery is far more useful than a wireless charging pad.

BTW, is anything known regarding screen resolutions?

The Galaxy S3 has 1280x720. The Ativ S appears to have the exact same screen, so probably the same resolution. No word on the Lumia 920.

Yeah I kinda agree in the sense that they waited a year for this? I mean the phones are nice but they need to think out of the box less bezel more screen maybe one with a keyboard not to mention no pureview... idk I just feel these phone will be outshined and not cared about within a month... Just my 2 cents tho. The ativ isnt all the better tho I mean it's like a downgraded sgs3 or something... And fake metal? That's not commitment.

They "waited a year for this" because WP7 couldn't handle the specs of a Galaxy flagship phone. No support for high-res screens or multi-core processors. The minute WP8 is released, Samsung will be selling their best hardware running it. How is that not commitment?

A plastic case IS commitment. It's commitment to class-leading lightness (which the Galaxy S3 delivers and this likely will too) and to non-interference with the phone's signal. A real metal case would be durable and stylish, but it would be heavy and it would impair the phone's functioning.

The only question here is flexible plastic that looks like plastic (Galaxy S3) or flexible plastic that looks like metal (Ativ S)...and that's a subjective one. I think the Ativ S looks better.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung's phone looks nice. Nokia's possible phones look nice.

But when you take your own personal preferences and somehow declare a failure on Nokia's part because they didn't meet what you wanted, well, that's not being very fair.

I especially never understood the argument of, "Nokia isn't putting THIS on their phone, so they messed up. Now everyone will get BRAND B." Conveniently forgetting that Brand B doesnt carry this supposedly necessary feature either. :lol: Really?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Ah, wonderful, so another thread about how much better one brand and one phone is compared to another.

I like Samsung... I think that ATIV line is pretty slick looking, and no doubt they are gonna sell some. Heck, they may even sell a LOT of them. But there's nothing special about them either. They're just "me too" devices, and that's fine, if that's your style, because it's just like what everyone else has that's popular... a GS3.

I would suggest, however, that this viewpoint is very Apple-like. It's black or white, and you can decide which you want, but it's gonna look alike, act alike, and we're all gonna BE alike.

Nokia's strategy is a cry out to be different. It screams, "I will be different. I will be unique, and to **** with your opinion." It's a good strategy, and for those of us that don't want to be "just another slab" or just another dollar for Apple, it works.

Anyway, I could happily recommend the ATIV to someone who wants that style of device, and I can recommend the Lumia lineup. You know what I won't support? Anything with a fruit on it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb