Okay, HTC, you have next....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone excited for the official HTC announcements? I am really liking the glimpse of what Nokia and Samsung have to offer so far. There have been enough rumors to make me step up and keep an eye open for what HTC has coming. I WANT to believe they will begin to turn around their fortunes by launching great devices for WP 8. I WANT to believe thy can match Nokia in the camera department, have solid devices that still feel great. I WANT to believe their relationship with Microsoft from Windows Mobile days will pay off. I have said they are the third dawg in this race right now, but they are still in it. I WANT to believe they will support their WP 8's and work hard for our money.

What do you think? Is the minute and a half glimpse of the Samsung ATIV and the hour long Nokia 920/820 (Whatever happened to 910/810? Did they not sound advanced enough so they skipped them?) introduction get anyone excited to see what HTC has?

I am curious. I hope they get serious and prove me wrong and blow us away.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Like Samsung, I guess they'll take their top of the line phone, and make a wp8 version.

That said their kit isn't getting that much love on android, so I doubt it will blow anyone away on wp

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
There was that purplish device leaked, which looks interesting. I doubt it's going to pack as much as the Lumia, but I don't mind being surprised.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
"Princess Leia: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope"

HTC is my last hope as

NOKIA: no external storage support
SAMSUNG: meh design

I think if HTC stumbles I will just ride this wave out until June...and be content with 7.8 until then

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Do you really need external storage support when you have 32gb of storage on the phone? Genuine question, I had 64gb in total on my N97 and never used more than 20...

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My brain likes the Ativ S, but it just can't elicit an ounce of excitement in me.

I feel really underwhelmed by the Lumia 920...I was expecting much more than software gimmicks from the "Pureview" name.

HTC, the ball is in your court. Give us a WP8 version of the HTC One X, and make it available with every carrier (not just AT&T...I'm on US Cellular, for the record) and you've got a customer.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
"Do you really need external storage support when you have 32gb of storage on the phone?"

yep, I know I am in the minority with this need, yet it is a requirement for me

I currently have about 30gb of music and I used to have an iPod Classic 120gb that was stolen from my desk @ work. So I was faced with buying a new iPod or just using my phone.

I know that on the android side they have micro SD support and I was thinking that if WP8 could support microSD cards I could put all of my music on a 64GB card and that would replace my stolen iPod.

( My job doesn't allow employees to user USB drives at work so that option cant work)

So my options are to buy another iPod and carry two devices to work / home or get a phone that can do both.

Now I know that some would suggest to stream the music but with the data plan police always lurking around I would get locked up.

So...yes for us 3%'ters additional storage is important and must have feature.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Im impressed with Lumia. Yes...really. I like it. But now it will be HTC. If HTC screws up..well, we I have Nokia...

Ohhh..the good old days. Who would have thought the computer OS in front and the phone in hand will one day be merged together like this...

Nostalgia at its best. :)

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you really need external storage support when you have 32gb of storage on the phone? Genuine question, I had 64gb in total on my N97 and never used more than 20...

yeah, I don't NEED it... (heck, I've been managing to function more or less with the 8gb on my DVP for the past yr+ now) but, I sure would LIKE to have it there should I find myself looking for some more space. And yes, I know that it would up the price, and I acknowledge that 32gb is more than enough for the vast majority of users...

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Very fair response from everyone to my question. From my perspective I agree streaming music doesn't work as well no matter what any company wants to believe, but I find that I don't want my entire collection on my phone, I carry around about my favourite 33% of it plus new stuff I get from Zune.

On a separate note, I'm surprised that an employer not allowing USB drives would allow removable storage/usb enabled devices at all...

Last edited:

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
If you need external storage, get the 820, which does have a microsd slot.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Which is a necessity, considering it only has 8 gb (!!!) of onboard storage, a good chunk of which will be used up by the OS.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
On a separate note, I'm surprised that an employer not allowing USB drives would allow removable storage/usb enabled devices at all...

my mistake! no they don't allow any removable storage including CD/DVD. The memory card option would allow me to add additional storage to my phone. With most phone having 8/16/32gb of storage I would run out quickly.

With my last 2 phone I rarely downloaded any apps but I want to get into the apps and games so that would mean I would need even more storage than the OEM default.

I sort of like having all of my music b/c I can switch genre and styles whenever my mood changes.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
"Do you really need external storage support when you have 32gb of storage on the phone?"

yep, I know I am in the minority with this need, yet it is a requirement for me

I currently have about 30gb of music and I used to have an iPod Classic 120gb that was stolen from my desk @ work. So I was faced with buying a new iPod or just using my phone.

I know that on the android side they have micro SD support and I was thinking that if WP8 could support microSD cards I could put all of my music on a 64GB card and that would replace my stolen iPod.

( My job doesn't allow employees to user USB drives at work so that option cant work)

So my options are to buy another iPod and carry two devices to work / home or get a phone that can do both.

Now I know that some would suggest to stream the music but with the data plan police always lurking around I would get locked up.

So...yes for us 3%'ters additional storage is important and must have feature.

the 820 has micro sd card support

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
No

They aren't going to bring in new apps, new accessories, or a great camera. It's going to be average

I think you're right, just not in the pejorative way you meant that. I think that the HTC flagship will basically be a One X running WP8. Its case will be lighter and more ergonomic than the Lumia 920, but more solid and stylish than the Ativ S. In terms of screen, it'll be bigger than the Lumia 920, but higher-quality than the Ativ S. In just about every way, I expect it to fall somewhere between the two extremesof the Ativ S and the Lumia 920.

And middle-of-the-road ain't a bad thing.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I think it is when the platform could use a lot of programs which is what Nokia is offering. But I digress

Nokia hasn't offered any exclusive software that personally interests me. It may be a selling point for others, but not for me. Just like some people really care about the Ativ S's low weight and others are indifferent.

Given the HTC One X, I suspect that the HTC 8X will be very, very good. And I still think it will be somewhere between the two extremes of the Ativ S and the 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss