Any chance Verizon gets the 920?

lee.eubanks

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
The 820 is U-G-L-Y (imo, though I know preference is different for each). I'm a big proponent of WP, but as a Verizon customer, I have the 4s and SIII for work and personal. I was really hoping Verizon could snag a flagship device, as I've been wanting to switch since the original 900 announcement.

It seems like Nokia may be going with the iPhone-AT&T exclusivity model, which really sucks for consumers. Which is even more bizarre considering the pent-up demand for a high-end WP was already met on AT&T with the 900. Verizon might have better luck on the marketing/selling side. See the original Droid campaign.

I'm holding out hope that Verizon will get the 920 after an exclusive AT&T launch -OR- Verizon gets their own flagship device.

What do you guys think?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
First "flagship" device that Verizon gets I'm all over. I can't wait any longer. 920, Ativ or whatever HTC comes up with. Slow and stead will not win the race for my money, though I will be hoping Nokia wins...

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
All this talking about carriers exclusivity is confusing for me as an European guy :p
Why don't you guys just switch carriers according to the phones that you want?

lee.eubanks

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
All this talking about carriers exclusivity is confusing for me as an European guy :p
For me it's twofold:

1. Verizon has better coverage in my area
  2. I have unlimited data with Verizon but wouldn't with AT&T

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Some might be locked into contracts and can't switch yet. Some might be on a family plan with Verizon and it's too much of a hassle to switch.

Also, Verizon generally has the best coverage out of all the US carriers, both in voice and 3G/LTE. Quite a few people report that Verizon is the only carrier that provides reliable coverage in their area.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Some might be locked into contracts and can't switch yet. Some might be on a family plan with Verizon and it's too much of a hassle to switch.

Sounds like you let carriers control too much of your lifes :p

Also, Verizon generally has the best coverage out of all the US carriers, both in voice and 3G/LTE. Quite a few people report that Verizon is the only carrier that provides reliable coverage in their area.

Ok, this reason is valid and understandable as you are in a big country.
Fortunatly I don't have to live with that. In my country (Portugal), I would say that 95% of our territory is well enough covered by all the 3 main carriers. They compete with prices, not with phones, services or coverage.

lee.eubanks

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site

Fortunatly I don't have to live with that. In my country (Portugal), I would say that 95% of our territory is well enough covered by all the 3 main carriers. They compete with prices, not with phones, services or coverage.

Must be nice! Price is not a competitive point in the U.S. Verizon and AT&T basically mimic the other's prices. And while Sprint and T-Mobile compete on price, they're coverage is spotty at best.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I can't argue with that. But it's not like people really have a choice here. People enter contracts because it doesn't make sense not to. You don't get a discount if you bring your own phone, so you might as well sign a contract and get a discount that way.

If I had the option to buy my own phone outright and get a discount on my monthly bill, I would do it. But nobody offers that option. It's basically collusion but they get away with it. Sadly, until we get a more consumer-friendly environment I'll keep signing up for contracts.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't argue with that. But it's not like people really have a choice here. People enter contracts because it doesn't make sense not to. You don't get a discount if you bring your own phone, so you might as well sign a contract and get a discount that way.

If I had the option to buy my own phone outright and get a discount on my monthly bill, I would do it. But nobody offers that option. It's basically collusion but they get away with it. Sadly, until we get a more consumer-friendly environment I'll keep signing up for contracts.

I understand. While you can buy a phone on contract here too most people don't do it.

The majority buy phones on carriers full price. Those phones are locked to that carrier but you can have it unlocked legally for a cheap price). You can also have a discount on the phone if you use your carrier points (which you earn according to the ammount of money you charge your phone with. It's like €1 = 1 point, but that deppends on the carrier). You can purchase a phone for a half of its price if you have about 2000 points to use.

So most people don't have monthly bills, they just charge their phones with money whenever they want to and use that amount for calls, sms and data (€20/$25 for 1GB, varies a bit from carrier to carrier), etc...

Maybe it's a model with its pros and cons.

Last edited:

lee.eubanks

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site

I usually never get excited about rumors, but I'm gonna let myself buy into this one for now. :)

Ditto.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)