The dust has settled, what's your assessment of the 920/820?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Because is heavy does not mean the phone isn't light? The things people will say to defend a phone they haven't held in their arms.

The proof is there, the Lumia 920 is heavier than the new standard. The ATIV is actually lighter than the GS3.

Point Samsung.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Because is heavy does not mean the phone isn't light? The things people will say to defend a phone they haven't held in their arms.

The proof is there, the Lumia 920 is heavier than the new standard. The ATIV is actually lighter than the GS3.

Point Samsung.

EXACTLY

Am I denying that its heavier than some current phones? No. It means that unless you are a phone reviewer or you wield more than one phone a day, you won't notice the SUBTLE weight. The over exaggeration these past 48 hrs is beyond ridiculous and once again, common sense flies over your head

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So lets be clear. Samsung takes their top android phone and changes the body and loads WP8 on it. No tech changes or improvements, its just thin, light and has a big screen. Nokia takes their older flagship WP devices, adds the first hardware image stabilization tech, adds faster responsive tech to the screen, adds automatic color intensity adjustment for better outside visibility, adds Synaptic tech to enable the screen to be used with gloves or practically any other surface, refines the design with curved glass and ceramic camera surround BUT- its heavier and thicker than the Samsung.

Yes, I agree, none of that matters, EPIC FAIL!!!!! /s

Sorry, forgot the wireless charging. Doesn't matter cos its a BRICK!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
So lets be clear. Samsung takes their top android phone and changes the body and loads WP8 on it. No tech changes or improvements, its just thin, light and has a big screen. Nokia takes their older flagship WP devices, adds the first hardware image stabilization tech, adds faster responsive tech to the screen, adds automatic color intensity adjustment for better outside visibility, adds Synaptic tech to enable the screen to be used with gloves or practically any other surface, refines the design with curved glass and ceramic camera surround BUT- its heavier and thicker than the Samsung.

Yes, I agree, none of that matters, EPIC FAIL!!!!! /s

Sorry, forgot the wireless charging. Doesn't matter cos its a BRICK!

Seen this on another forum:

"I'm an Android guy, but all these posts about the Lumia 920 being a disappointment confuse the heck out of me.

I just looked up a list of all Windows Phone devices, and here's what I gather about the 920 (compared to previous WP devices):

1 GB RAM, so far WP devices have had only 512 MB RAM tops
S4 SoC, a HUGE improvement over WP SoCs because after running through the entire list of WP devices the most advanced SoC so far has been the S2 Scorpion. I cannot even begin to explain how much of a gigantic leap the S4 is over the S2.
32 GB storage. Only ONE previous WP device has had 32 GB of storage.
EVERYTHING about the display. First 4.5" display on a WP device (not to say that it is the largest, as there have been 4.7" displays, but there has never been a 4.5" display on a WP device). 1280 x 768 resolution, a HUGE leap over the 480 x 800 resolution we have seen so far on WP devices. IPS display, so far the most advanced LCD display on a WP device has been SLCD. The display is just like the SoC: an absolutely gigantic leap over what we've seen so far in WP devices.
LTE support. So far it looks like only 3 WP devices have had LTE.
2000mAh battery. Previous record was 1830mAh.
Camera: let's get down to what's important and talk about something other than MP. Yes, it's 8.7 MP is nothing new, as the Titan II had a 16 MP rear camera. But anyone who knows anything about cameras knows it's about much more than just MP count. So: F/2.0 aperture, the lowest of any smartphone (to my knowledge the only other phone with such an f-stop is the One X), a 1/3 inch sensor (which is larger than the 1/3.2 inch sensor the iPhone 4S, One X, and GS3 all have, so effectively the largest sensor other than outliers like the 808 Pureview), backside illumination, and floating lens mechanical stabilization. BSI isn't new, but few WP phones have had it, and mechanical stabilization isn't new, but based on the video of it in action on a 920 (the actual footage Nokia released, not the ad), no company has ever developed such effective mechanical stabilization. Lastly, very high megapixel counts can actually decrease image quality for small sensor sizes, so it doesn't make much sense to stuff a 16+MP camera into smartphones when they have very small sensor sizes. Higher MP counts are important only when the sensor size correspondingly increases, and the increase from 8-8.7 MP seems like a good increase for a sensor size increase from 1/3.2 inches to 1/3 inches.

I'm not going to avoid the truth: the Lumia 920 represents a huge leap in WP hardware. I see almost nothing to complain about other than the lack of expandable storage. Previous WP phones ran damn smoothly with POS single-core S2 SoCs on earlier versions of WP, and now the Lumia 920 packs a dual-core S4 SoC running WP8. Goodness, if a GS3 runs smoothly with the S4 on ICS, how much of a performance beast will the 920 be given it has the S4 and runs the much faster WP8? The display is in every way a huge improvement over what WP devices have had. HUGE. Nokia claims it's the brightest smartphone display, to go along with all the other details about it that impress me. The camera should be downright impressive. Look up actual pictures the 920 has been demonstrated to take and it is very impressive, especially in low light."

May be this would change your perspective a bit.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Who has actually said this phone is light? It's one of the heaviest phones out there.

Lumia 920 - 185g and 10.7 mm thick

You have people who have moved on to the GS3 or the One X from and iPhone 4S and have raved about how much more lighter they are than their 4S. And that's from a 7g-10g difference. Trust me it's quite noticeable. Can you imagine what a 52g difference would feel like? :shocked:

So let's be clear, the Lumia 920 is one heavy phone.
Yeah, I know what 52g feels like. About the same weight as a pack (100 count) 3 x 3 Post-It notes. So all you (we) would be 920 owners out there, time to get in shape. Pick up that Post-It pad and start working out. Up, down, up, down. Three sets of ten reps a day should do it. And for those with lightweight phones, just hold a Post-It pad in the same hand to see if you have the strength to handle such a beast. Maybe its time for some Wheaties.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Please keep emotions out of this discussion as it leads nowhere.

Ok, so emotions are off limits, but subjective jabbering is just fine. Got it. Here is some more then. Regardless of all the things that makes Nokia's WP8 offerings undesirable devices, they will outsell their WP8 competitors by at least 3-1. And that's good for Windows Phone.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I just don’t understand the negative attitudes that are being displayed here. From what I saw Wednesday this is what Nokia did:

They improved the ram.
They improved the memory.
They improved the screen.
They improved the processor.
They improved the camera.
They improved the battery.
They added NFC.
They added wireless charging.
They improved the display.
They increased the color choices.
They improved Nokia drive, maps and city lens.

And even with all these improvements people are still complaining? As far as I am concerned Nokia has done their job. To me the only question left is did MS do their job with WP8?

People preferences are subjective. We like what we like for whatever reason. If someone likes Samsung or HTC better that’s great, get what you want. Trying to call Nokia out for failing to do enough with the 920 is pure non-sense.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I just don?t understand the negative attitudes that are being displayed here. From what I saw Wednesday this is what Nokia did:

They improved the ram.
They improved the memory.
They improved the screen.
They improved the processor.
They improved the camera.
They improved the battery.
They added NFC.
They added wireless charging.
They improved the display.
They increased the color choices.
They improved Nokia drive, maps and city lens.

And even with all these improvements people are still complaining? As far as I am concerned Nokia has done their job. To me the only question left is did MS do their job with WP8?

People preferences are subjective. We like what we like for whatever reason. If someone likes Samsung or HTC better that?s great, get what you want. Trying to call Nokia out for failing to do enough with the 920 is pure non-sense.

some people just refuse to be satisfied I guess... oh well, their loss...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Point Samsung.

Point Samsung... if you want a lighter phone.

Point Nokia if you want a solid feeling phone.

It's downright silly to try to state that one is better than the other in terms of weight. It's completely a matter of personal preference.

It's like trying to argue that blue is better than orange. It's completely irrational.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Point Samsung... if you want a lighter phone.

Point Nokia if you want a solid feeling phone.

It's downright silly to try to state that one is better than the other in terms of weight. It's completely a matter of personal preference.

It's like trying to argue that blue is better than orange. It's completely irrational.

Blue is better if you were painting a picture of a sky on a sunny clear mid morning day. See what I mean? It all depends on the situation. It's logical to think that most would want their MOBILE device to be lighter (not saying lightest) rather than heavier. Now if you were building an anchor then heavy would be better. Again, it's all about the purpose. It would not be unreasonable to say that in general, people want a lighter and thinner (not saying lightest and thinnest) mobile device. That is what the sales number would indicate as well. People don't care to have their phone built like a tank to last 10 years. Most people upgrade every 2 to 4 years max.
Most of us put cases on our phones, there's no disputing that. So if you bring a phone to market that is already thick and heavy, you have an even thicker and heavier phone when you put on the case.
When I discuss any of the new WP8 phones, I give my opinion on what I think the GENERAL BUYING PUBLIC would think based off current sales numbers of existing devices. Some here seem to think just because they like a heavy phone, the general public will like one. You just can't do that. Best thing is to look at what the market is doing. Then assess from there. Another example, people here go on about pureview, but guess what? The general buying public doesn't care about pureview because they don't even know what it is. They can't feel it or see it when they are looking at the phone on display. All they know is what they are holding in their hand and how it looks and feels.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Blue is better if you were painting a picture of a sky on a sunny clear mid morning day. See what I mean? It all depends on the situation. It's logical to think that most would want their MOBILE device to be lighter (not saying lightest) rather than heavier. Now if you were building an anchor then heavy would be better.

You can't be serious. Unless your arms are smaller than spaghetti noodles, or your legs and hips can't take the weight of something lighter than a belt, there should be no issue rather than just personal preference.

Again, it's all about the purpose.

It is PREFERENCE, not purpose. Unless your purpose is to win a Lighter Phone Contest. Or if you have the spaghetti arms mentioned above.

My nephew is 1 yr old. He plays with Fisher Price toy phones that are probably 3 or 4 times as heavy as the 920. But maybe he's just unusually strong? :lol:

It would not be unreasonable to say that in general, people want a lighter and thinner (not saying lightest and thinnest) mobile device. That is what the sales number would indicate as well. People don't care to have their phone built like a tank to last 10 years. Most people upgrade every 2 to 4 years max.

You said a key word there. WANT. That's preference.

Why the heck does anyone have a problem with a lot of us liking sturdier phones? Why do you feel it's necessary to have to convince us that we're wrong for having a different opinion?

I mean, really? REALLY?

Also, if you look at Windows Phone sales, Nokia has clearly dominated. It's not even close. This despite the fact that the 900 is a sturdy phone.

Most of us put cases on our phones, there's no disputing that. So if you bring a phone to market that is already thick and heavy, you have an even thicker and heavier phone when you put on the case.

And that's up the the preference of that individual. Why do you care what their preference is.

With a sturdy phone, I'd put a light case, or no case at all.

With a flimsy phone, I'd put a sturdier case.

It's great that we have choices.

When I discuss any of the new WP8 phones, I give my opinion on what I think the GENERAL BUYING PUBLIC would think based off current sales numbers of existing devices.

Then get an iPhone. That single phone is what the general buying public is getting in droves.

Some here seem to think just because they like a heavy phone, the general public will like one.

No. They think that there are a lot of people that like sturdy phones.

Most will also agree that there are a lot of people that like light phones.

It's one of the strengths of the ecosystem. People can choose the phone that suits them best.

And guess what? Up to this point, in this ecosystem, it's been Nokia.

Does that mean you have to choose Nokia? Of course not.

But geez. Stop hating.

If Samsung is successful, I'll be one of the people cheering them. If HTC is successful, I'll cheer them too even though I personally will not buy an HTC device ever again.

You just can't do that. Best thing is to look at what the market is doing. Then assess from there.

But you guys aren't "assessing." You're making emphatic statements that one preference is "better" than another. It doesn't work that way.

My preference is my preference. Your preference is your preference.

It's perfectly legitimate for you to say you hate the weight of the 920. More power to you.

But you don't speak for everybody. And I haven't heard of an election where you were chosen to represent the "majority".

Another example, people here go on about pureview, but guess what? The general buying public doesn't care about pureview because they don't even know what it is. They can't feel it or see it when they are looking at the phone on display. All they know is what they are holding in their hand and how it looks and feels.

So? That means we can't like PureView? That means that it's not a real benefit?

It's up to Nokia to market the **** out of it.

But if they don't... so? Then people will automatically flee to lighter phones because nobody wants a solid feeling phone?

I guess the Lumia 900 outsold the Focus S and HTC Titan II combined because of PureView, right?

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
You can't be serious. Unless your arms are smaller than spaghetti noodles, or your legs and hips can't take the weight of something lighter than a belt, there should be no issue rather than just personal preference.

It is PREFERENCE, not purpose. Unless your purpose is to win a Lighter Phone Contest. Or if you have the spaghetti arms mentioned above.

My nephew is 1 yr old. He plays with Fisher Price toy phones that are probably 3 or 4 times as heavy as the 920. But maybe he's just unusually strong? :lol:

You said a key word there. WANT. That's preference.

Why the heck does anyone have a problem with a lot of us liking sturdier phones? Why do you feel it's necessary to have to convince us that we're wrong for having a different opinion?

I mean, really? REALLY?

Also, if you look at Windows Phone sales, Nokia has clearly dominated. It's not even close. This despite the fact that the 900 is a sturdy phone.

And that's up the the preference of that individual. Why do you care what their preference is.

With a sturdy phone, I'd put a light case, or no case at all.

With a flimsy phone, I'd put a sturdier case.

It's great that we have choices.

Then get an iPhone. That single phone is what the general buying public is getting in droves.

No. They think that there are a lot of people that like sturdy phones.

Most will also agree that there are a lot of people that like light phones.

It's one of the strengths of the ecosystem. People can choose the phone that suits them best.

And guess what? Up to this point, in this ecosystem, it's been Nokia.

Does that mean you have to choose Nokia? Of course not.

But geez. Stop hating.

If Samsung is successful, I'll be one of the people cheering them. If HTC is successful, I'll cheer them too even though I personally will not buy an HTC device ever again.

But you guys aren't "assessing." You're making emphatic statements that one preference is "better" than another. It doesn't work that way.

My preference is my preference. Your preference is your preference.

It's perfectly legitimate for you to say you hate the weight of the 920. More power to you.

But you don't speak for everybody. And I haven't heard of an election where you were chosen to represent the "majority".

So? That means we can't like PureView? That means that it's not a real benefit?

It's up to Nokia to market the **** out of it.

But if they don't... so? Then people will automatically flee to lighter phones because nobody wants a solid feeling phone?

I guess the Lumia 900 outsold the Focus S and HTC Titan II combined because of PureView, right?

Wow, so much anger. For some reason you're having a problem with reading comprehension. Please show me in my post where I said YOU must by what I say. Show me where I say YOU can't like heavy a phone. Show me where I say YOU can't like purview. Show me where I say YOU can't have YOUR PREFERENCE.

Explain to me how it's wrong to look at Sales trends to determine what sells.
And please stop using Apple as an example. They don't fit in the typical model. They have a fan base that is a breed of their own. They sell a phone that has a 3.5 inch screen with inferior hardware and recycled a design that was EXACTLY the same looking phone (4 to 4S). No other OEM can do this right now and get away with that. Do you seriously think Samsung, HTC, Nokia or any other OEM can do this and get away with it. Not a chance.

As the OP said, keep emotions out of it, it gets you nowhere. Please use logic in your discussion. Take your time reading other people's post and stop putting words in their mouths they never said. Again, nowhere in my post did I tell YOU what to buy and prefer. I'm assessing the general buying public based off current phone sales. Again, don't look at Apple, they don't fit. Nobody is saying that the Lumia is so heavy you can't pick it up. I'm sure you can pick up 10lbs, but how do you think a 10lb ultrabook would sell and how do you think it would stand up to the competition that it's sitting on the shelf with. Starting to get the picture now? Stop building your strawman, it's a waste of time.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Wow, so much anger. For some reason you're having a problem with reading comprehension. Please show me in my post where I said YOU must by what I say. Show me where I say YOU can't like heavy a phone. Show me where I say YOU can't like purview. Show me where I say YOU can't have YOUR PREFERENCE.

I'm not angry, and I can read just fine.

But since you were responding to my comment on someone else's quote, defending his statement, then it is a logical assumption that you agree with the statement he made.

And that statement was rather broad based.

Also, the fact that you are arguing that this is NOT a matter of preference is a statement that you're saying what is or is not "better."

Explain to me how it's wrong to look at Sales trends to determine what sells.
And please stop using Apple as an example. They don't fit in the typical model.

lol.

Look at sales trends!

I mean, don't look at sales trends!

Like WP is typical.

:lol:

They have a fan base that is a breed of their own. They sell a phone that has a 3.5 inch screen with inferior hardware and recycled a design that was EXACTLY the same looking phone (4 to 4S). No other OEM can do this right now and get away with that. Do you seriously think Samsung, HTC, Nokia or any other OEM can do this and get away with it. Not a chance.

They have a compelling ecosystem. They started that ecosystem when others were only thinking about individual phones and operating systems.

They have stellar marketing.

Their success isn't an accident.

As the OP said, keep emotions out of it, it gets you nowhere. Please use logic in your discussion

And it's illogical to tell someone what is "better" as a definitive statement, as Winterfang regularly does and you jumped in to back up.

Take your time reading other people's post and stop putting words in their mouths they never said. Again, nowhere in my post did I tell YOU what to buy and prefer. I'm assessing the general buying public based off current phone sales.

No you're not. You are piling on Nokia and nit picking why you think their phone sucks. And then saying that most people will feel that way.

Again, don't look at Apple, they don't fit.

Sure they do.

Nobody is saying that the Lumia is so heavy you can't pick it up. I'm sure you can pick up 10lbs, but how do you think a 10lb ultrabook would sell and how do you think it would stand up to the competition that it's sitting on the shelf with. Starting to get the picture now? Stop building your strawman, it's a waste of time.

What straw man? The weight argument didn't make sense based on Lumia sales, plain and simple. Making stuff up and calling it truth doesn't change that.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
What straw man? The weight argument didn't make sense based on Lumia sales, plain and simple. Making stuff up and calling it truth doesn't change that.

Ok what strawman you ask? Here you go:

My nephew is 1 yr old. He plays with Fisher Price toy phones that are probably 3 or 4 times as heavy as the 920. But maybe he's just unusually strong?

So again, let me ask, please show me where I said the Lumia 920 would be too heavy to pick up and that you would require unusual streangth to carry around?
Also please answer my question regarding Ultrabooks. I asked you:
How do you think an Ultrabook that weighs as much as 10lbs fair against other Ultrabooks currently on the market. We both know any child in elementary school can pick up 10lbs, but how do you think it would do on a shelf where it's sitting next to other Ultrabooks currently on market that weigh well under 4lbs. Ultrabooks are MOBILE devices like smartphones. So I guess we should keep them heavy as 10 lbs so that people think they FEEL SOLID, as people have no problem picking up 10lbs.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
820 is a non-starter for me due to its screen. 920 still looks good but I still want to see a few things:
  • Pure image quality in a well lit environment
  • How good the FFC is, Nokia highlighted it on the 900 but not on the 920
  • How manageable the device is, being as large as the One X and considerably heavier

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok what strawman you ask? Here you go:

That was called light hearted sarcastic humor.

I really didnt think you would take it literally.

Are you telling me that you took it as a literal argument?

So again, let me ask, please show me where I said the Lumia 920 would be too heavy to pick up and that you would require unusual streangth to carry around?

LoL

I guess you did.

Also please answer my question regarding Ultrabooks. I asked you:
How do you think an Ultrabook that weighs as much as 10lbs fair against other Ultrabooks currently on the market. We both know any child in elementary school can pick up 10lbs, but how do you think it would do on a shelf where it's sitting next to other Ultrabooks currently on market that weigh well under 4lbs. Ultrabooks are MOBILE devices like smartphones. So I guess we should keep them heavy as 10 lbs so that people think they FEEL SOLID, as people have no problem picking up 10lbs.

Are you literally comparing something that's several pounds and can really make someone tired, with a few grams?

See, I actually thought you weren't being serious.

I'm still not completely sure.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
That was called light hearted sarcastic humor.

I really didnt think you would take it literally.

Are you telling me that you took it as a literal argument?

LoL

I guess you did.

Are you literally comparing something that's several pounds and can really make someone tired, with a few grams?

See, I actually thought you weren't being serious.

I'm still not completely sure.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I was very excited for the 800, I expected a lower resolution but a great amoled screen and the same camera.

I don't know much about the camera but is supposed to be a 5mega pixel one (probably just a tad better than the 710). I'm sad by this because I don't like how the 920 looks, I prefer the rounder edges of the 820 and taking covers out is cool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss