Will Nokia finally be aggressive with US carriers?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
What leverage does Nokia have to get 'aggressive' with carriers? None as far as I can see.

About as any other WP8 vendor as far as I can see. As usual, Nokia will probably have to heavily subsidize their products to make them appealing to vendors-especially considering they are on a new relatively unknown platform.

Up here (Canada) I have seen four different WP7.5 devices on three different carriers. Nokia 900, 800, 710 and 610. The problem isn't Nokia, Samsung or HTC - it's the lack of popularity with the o/s. If WP8 gains steam, I suspect more devices will be made available.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
WP has not been very popular at all so far, and thus i doubt any carriers are actually that fussed about WP8 (regardless of which phone).

The carriers (in the US at least) have acknowledged the importance that a non-iOS and non-Android ecosystem exists and will all (with the exception of Sprint) have multiple WP8 devices.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Depends how you look at it.

WP has not been very popular at all so far, and thus i doubt any carriers are actually that fussed about WP8 (regardless of which phone).

I would wager Microsoft and Nokia are throwing money around to get carriers excited by their phones. Do Microsoft just throw money at every carrier, and none bother to promote WP8, or do they target specfic carriers, so the carrier promotes WP8.

Don't count on carriers not being fussed about it.

Android costs them a lot of extra money annually due to support issues. Google updates the OS, but the carriers have to work on deployment. They also have to do tech support issues, most of them stemming from interface differences between the manufacturers. There's now also concern about the platform due to the Samsung lawsuit.

iPhone is also expensive due to Apple's demands on the carriers.

Then back to the Samsung suit - the carriers may not pay mind to WP8, but manufacturers will in increasing numbers. MS can offer them protection from Apple's lawsuits.

But ultimately, the WP8 model is probably the one that helps the carriers the most. They have a big partner that requires the consistent ecosystem of the OS be maintained. MS will deploy OS updates directly while giving carriers the ability to create custom apps and hubs for the their customers.

The reality of Windows Phone is that it will cost carriers less in support, will cause less technical issues, and will not have the same kind of high demands as Apple. This is why Verizon is going all in. The corporate sales guy I know has said to me that VZW's goal is to have over 50% of all their smartphone sales be WP8 devices by the end of next year. They will be particularly pushing to move iPhone users with special offers. The money saved by having more WP8 subscribers will help their bottom line and also allow them to spend even more on enhancing their network.

This is the pitch MS made to VZW earlier this year for an enhanced presence and they loved what they saw.

And for carriers like Samsung, it will cost less to license WP8 for a device than the patent fees they pay MS right now on their Android devices.

I fully expect an onslaught of ads at the end of the year and exclusive offers for those who switch to Windows Phone as enticements. VZW wants to populate their stores with WP8 devices and lower the amount of Android devices they carry.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
They will be on all of them... including Sprint. They will jump on the bandwagon before Summer so as not to look behind the competition. (Just a prediction.)

Nokia will be everywhere, and will have follow up devices everywhere as well. They are going with a sense of urgency.

I sure hope that your predictions here turn out to be right as having offerings available on every carrier it would certainly be a big help in getting WP more accepted amongst the masses (which would be a very good thing).

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think carriers have a big reason to get on the WP bandwagon, called "the iPhone 5." That phone will cost them more -- and be harder to sell outside of true Apple believers -- than ever before.

f1camaro

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Well i don't know what the politics are when it comes to which carriers carry which phones.But as a unbias phone user i believe had nokia's lumia 900 & 800 been available at all carriers in both the US and canada they would have sold a ton of phones.I think anyone who is not a ****** would have to admit the design is very different and fresh.And i really don't think its nokia who has to sell their phones its windows as a OS that they need to sell.If nokia's lumia's would have had the latest version of android they would never have been able to make them fast enough,of course thats just an opinon.Now i love IOS but i find the iphoine design is played out,what was once futuristic and cool is now just dull and the iphone 5 didn't change that.Android is also great and has tons of different phones to choose from but i have always had bad luck with android,restarts and crashing apps.I tried out windows phone just for a change and found it was stable and easy to use like IOS but with a fresh style and i don't plan on going back to anything else.Now for me the samsung note with windows would be perfect.But i am due for a upgrade and if nokia brings their 920 to Bell in canada then they will have my money and i really believe the key to their success is to get on as many carriers as they possibly can because they have got a really nice product but people have to see it on display at their carrier of choice.Again this is just a opinion and everyones got one.:)

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
After being loyal to sprint for over 12 years I am not waiting for any particular carrier to announce what phone they will carry. I know I am getting an unlocked 920 and taking it to TMobile for unlimited plan. F the carriers mostly SPRINT sorry a$$.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
2 devices that don't run exclusive to any provider.... Iphone and samsung galaxy SIII. Now guess what 2 companiesare agressive and swimming in success?

honestly (and I hope the rumors are not true) I don't see Nokia regaining any top spot if they continue with signing exclusives. willing to bet the lumia 920 will be exclusive to AT&T in America and Rogers in Canada just like the lumia 900.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the group as the OP stated that is not going to change providers simply to get a particular phone. I'm a Sprint customer and have been with them since Nextel 15 or so years back. I was just in a store today looking for tech support after spending nearly 3 hours on the phone with Sprint Technicians trying to figure out why I'm missing calls and getting no real signal reading on my phone, many times roaming locally. Unfortunately the in store tech didn't show up for work today so I'll have to go back and give it a try Monday. If they are not able to get anything resolved, I'm going to be moving on from Windows. It's not that I want to but I don't see as I have e a choice and Sprint doesn't have anything in the pipe line for Windows. I seriously doubt I'm going to go with the iP5 coming out so I'm most likely going to have to go Android.

It comes down to finances for me overall. I rely on my phone and Sprint provides to better service and the better rates than any other provider in my area. I have to have my phone work for me no matter what. I work in a hospital as a surgical/recovery room nurse on a trauma team. I HAVE to get the call when it is sent out and not a voice mail some time after the fact.

I've been a Windows user for nearly 15 years since WinCE. I would like to stay with it as I see the benefits of it.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think Nokia would benefit from releasing the 920 on all carriers like Samsung did with the Galaxy S3. I'm still hoping it comes to Verizon though.

twincamfxd

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read so far Verizon should be getting both new devices. I just hope they don't screw it up like they did the gnex.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read so far Verizon should be getting both new devices. I just hope they don't screw it up like they did the gnex.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've heard their WP8 device rollout is being compared internally to their Droid push.

The reality right now is that Lumia is the name people would associate most with Windows Phone, so it would be wise for VZW to promote the Lumia line. We'll see plenty of options, I think, with Verizon.

It would also be wise for the manufacturers and MS tow work with VZW on their VOIP deployment over LTE. That's Verizon's next big push and if you go on the cutting edge with them, they will push WP8 like you wouldn't believe.

It seems to me that AT&T has bought in. From what I hear, VZW has too. Between the two, that's over 211 million customers. Between the current commits, Windows Phone 8 has strong support from carriers that represent over 250 million customers. Right now we've only really seen AT&T and T-Mobile make any kind of strong WP push. With Verizon on board the access increases.

Also heard that MetroPCS is interested. I'd guess that this is where we'll see the Huawei device(s). Maybe the lower end Nokia and HTC products that are rumored?

I do believe Sprint will come onboard next year, but they'll be late to the party.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am a T-Mobile dude and know that we'll get at least one top-end and possibly two to choose from. If Nokia doesn't want to compete on T-Mo, that's their own choice, but i have no doubt that HTC and/or Samsung will happily take my money.

Chirp about specs and cameras all you want, there's no denying that unlimited HSPA+42 with unlimited talk and text for $60/month blows away anything Nokia can bring to the table for 2.5x as much on another (capped) carrier.

I also bet the ATIV S will be available on multiple carriers, just like the S III is.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
About as any other WP8 vendor as far as I can see. As usual, Nokia will probably have to heavily subsidize their products to make them appealing to vendors-especially considering they are on a new relatively unknown platform.

Up here (Canada) I have seen four different WP7.5 devices on three different carriers. Nokia 900, 800, 710 and 610. The problem isn't Nokia, Samsung or HTC - it's the lack of popularity with the o/s. If WP8 gains steam, I suspect more devices will be made available.

I think you are spot on here. I also thing integration with Windows 8 will be key. If MS nails it it will be a direct competitor with Apple's iOS/OSX and something that Android can't even really compete with. The key is, they have to nail it.

Rob41664

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
As others have said it is the carriers that choose what models to carry. The carriers have too much power in the US so that is why we see exclusives. The SIII is too popular for any carrier not to carry. Once WP8 gains steam the carriers will want more devices. I bet if the 920 is an ATT exclusive it will be for a limited time only and a VZW version will be coming soon. At the beginning the iPhone exclusive on ATT didn't hamper it at all. WP8 has to gain the mindshare to get there and hopefully with VZW backing now we will get there sooner rather than later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven