HTC 8X - $199 - ATT/TMO contract price

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
and might go for $199 on contract. Nothing has been officially confirmed on the matter for the time being

Seemed like a random guess to me. I don't think this phone would be $200 on contract. I see it more in the $100 or $150 price point, but that's just me.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Even if this launches at $199, if Nokia launches the 920 at this same price point, the HTC is not going to last at $199 with a smaller screen and only 16GB storage with no expansion. I don't see any WP8 phone launching for more than $199, so....

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Even if this launches at $199, if Nokia launches the 920 at this same price point, the HTC is not going to last at $199 with a smaller screen and only 16GB storage with no expansion. I don't see any WP8 phone launching for more than $199, so....

I am just hoping the no contract prices are $499 or less :(

I think you over estimate most buyers. The ones that come to forums like these, I would agree 100%. I'd be shocked if most girls want the biggest screen possible. I know my daughter would probably pick more by the phone color and the cutsey tiles and not too big. We all know the phone specs, etc...I would bet 75% that buy a phone no nothing of 80% of the specs we discuss, drool over

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I was expecting it to be less, considering it isn't much different than the One X. Though I guess the One X started at $199 and came down due to poor sales.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
CNET has it listed at $199. I think that is too high when you are trying to lure new users to a largely unknown o.s.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

HTC launched the One X at $199 on AT&T and dropped the price to $99 when the Galaxy S III sold better.

However, I don't think the 920's capability alone is enough to push HTC to cut pricing. If the 920 is a carrier exclusive on AT&T, they might cut the 8X to $99 on AT&T, but not on Verizon and T-Mo, where it would be the top-rated WP.

In addition, I doubt many people with T-Mo or VZW would switch to AT&T just to get a phone.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Based on the ?399 price tag at Unlocked Mobile, I would predict the 8X would cost around roughly $400 unlocked and that it would launch at $99 to free on contract at each carrier.

It doesn't really matter that the 8X will be some carriers' only WP. The carriers care about phone sales and not the OS. WP8 alone won't help the 8X fly off shelves relative to Android offerings like the One X. It may actually remain at a slight disadvantage.

Also, the 8X is only 4.3". Despite some claims that 4.3" is large enough for a "flagship", consumers are still unlikely to pay more for a smaller device. (Just because I'm full from a 6" Subway doesn't mean I'll pay the same price as the 12".) Galaxy Note > Galaxy S for a reason.

$200 for the 8X is too high a prediction, especially when we already know the European prices. The 8X should be the Lumia 710 of WP8.

(I realize that this may appear competitive pricing prediction for a phone with a Snapdragon S4; but, we are right before the launch of S4 Pro. Also, similar to the Lumia 710, WP have always had extremely competitive specs at midrange prices.)

Last edited:

Shark87

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I would guess that its $99-149 on contract. Can't forget that the 8S will also be going to the same carriers, so it(the 8S) probably be Free-$49.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing $200 for L900, $150 after a $50 mail in rebate for 8X, Ativ S $200, L820 for $50 after a $50 rebate, and 8S free after rebate. Verizon pricing predictions

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, my G2 on t-mo was about $193 for a slightly early renewal of my contract when it first came out. So I would think for a new customer the 8x should sell around $149 or less. Existing customers at the end of their contract will probably pay the $199. I am budgeting $250 for the Lumina 920, but to get under that I'm going to have to switch to Verizon (If they Have it). Big blue is not even a contender -- I HATE AT&T. My true hope is Verizon will have the L920 for around $149 or so.

If Verizon doesn't get the L920, I'll still most likely switch to Verizon for the HTC 8x. I already know Verizon will come in about 12$/Month cheaper on monthly fees. Plus I get a pretty sweet deal through work on new activations.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you. I'm expecting the 920 to be $299 on contract and I'll be happy to pay it. :)

not a chance. Carriers tried that price already when lte was new. They couldn't move lte equipped, high end flagship android devices at $249-$299. If the 920 is more than $199 on contract, it will be DOA. Even at $199 it will be a tough sell when put up against the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S III. Not because it's a worse phone or its not worth as much. It in face probably should cost more than either one. But it falls short in one "spec", and this happens to be the one "spec" your average, uninformed customer cares about most. App count. There are still bug names missing. Many bank apps, Mint.com, Rovio's newest titles, Instagram, and Google apps. Customers care about these and other absent apps. A customer is going to say why should ibpay the same for this phone when it can't use app x, y, and z that I use now. Plus there needs to be financial incentive to get people to switch eco systems. People have been using ios since 07 and android since 08. People could have $100 easily invested in apps. Some people many times that. If someone looks at a phone and says, well its $100 less, so I can use some of that to rebuy all my apps and still come out on top, its a much more enticing proposition then saying, I have to spend $100 extra to get this phone and rebuy all my apps (if they are available) on top of that.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
People could have $100 easily invested in apps. Some people many times that.
Trust me when I say that most people don't have $100 invested in apps. The mean number of apps downloaded per user is in the single digits and Android users don't even pay for their apps.

Even for those who buy apps, such as myself, $100 is an outlandishly high number. You're referring to a 0.001% right now.(There should actually be even more 0's but I'm being conservative.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte