Rumor: Nokia planning to sue to stop release of HTC devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
If they can prove it will lead to customer confusion, they'd have a case. IMO, the average customer will be confused.

nokia-lumia-820-colors-photo-3.jpg

htc-8x2.jpg

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
If they can prove it will lead to customer confusion, they'd have a case. IMO, the average customer will be confused.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

Really you think they would be confused by the different back, the different colored earpiece the different curve around the front of the device and the name HTC on one and Nokia on the other, camera in a different spot. There was my quick 5 differences picture contest.

Honestly, to me it is a "candy bar, touchscreen phone with colors" would be about all they could claim.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I bet it's a false rumor started by anti-Nokia folks.

If Nokia does sue over brightly-colored polycarbonate, I won't buy a Nokia phone. I do think the HTC 8X is a little derivative, but not the sort of derivative that should be sued over. This is just like Infiniti and other car makers adopting a BMW-esque Hofmeister kink. Derivative but not lawsuit-worthy.

Also, saying the 8X was based specifically off the Lumia 820 (as opposed to other Nokia phones) is baffling. The 8X was revealed two weeks after the Lumia 820 was revealed. Unless you believe that that the 8X was created in two weeks, that argument is bogus.

I think the Lumia 900, not the 920 or 820, "inspired" HTC's bold new design direction.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Really you think they would be confused by the different back, the different colored earpiece the different curve around the front of the device and the name HTC on one and Nokia on the other, camera in a different spot. There was my quick 5 differences picture contest.

Honestly, to me it is a "candy bar, touchscreen phone with colors" would be about all they could claim.

Have you followed the Apple vs. Samsung case? I mean, it was so ridiculous that anything is possible now.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Have you followed the Apple vs. Samsung case? I mean, it was so ridiculous that anything is possible now.

Difference is Elop may have been misguided by adopting WP but he's not a complete twat, which you would have to be to contemplate such a lawsuit.

If this was apple though it would be 1000% accurate! :D

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that WP8 is designed to promote the colored shells. Its not just Nokia/HTC that will have the colored backs---every WP8 device should get them.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
So if the rumor is true (and I hope it isn't) do you mean to tell me you'll dump WP8 altogether? That hilarious! You hate Nokia so much you'd cut off your nose to spite your face? You know there is a Samsung WP8 device, right? You don't have to get a Nokia you know and I wouldn't think that HTC would just bend over and take the lawsuit with a smile.

Like I said, I hope this is just a baseless rumor but if it isn't, enjoy your G3 - I heard jellybean runs like a dream.

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft would never allow this to happen, especially because Microsoft and HTC worked together on the 8X, it was Microsoft's idea to call it the 8X, and Microsoft is calling it WP8's signature device. It's "almost the face of WP8."

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, the first time I saw 8x and 8s, I was thinking '' wow, it is a copy of lumia design". Yes, it is true that after a while when you look at the details you will realize that certain things are different. But the overall feeling is that 8x and 8s look similar to Lumia 8/9 series.

why no one or few thinks Apple steals design from others?
why no one or few accuses Nokia steals design from others?

when IPhone is considered the best industrial design, Nokia is still able to come up with something stunning while substantially different.

HTC can certainly do better, maybe they designed 8x and 8s by themselves, who knows, but unfortunately they are late and Nokia gets there first.

The success of WP is in our best interests, but we should not forget to honor and support the originality and creativity.

Personally I hope this lawsuit will not happen, but my next phone will be Lumia 920 although I do think 8x and 8s are fine and good looking devices.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Never going to happen. MS can pull the rug out from Nokia and prevent them from using WP8 if the choose.

It's nothing more than smoke. Besides, MS collaborated with HTC to make the phones. The 920 has enough differentiators.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
really, so all of you people support IP theft? Then PLEASE go to Android where you will be welcomed with open arms by thieves.

HTC aped Nokia's designs and they know it. The fact that Microsoft aided in this is a slap to the face of Nokia and their partnership. Nokia got married to MS and the OS and then MS turned around and got a whore to dress up as Nokia....plain and simple.

My gosh. It will be very hard now days to make a design that doesn't "look" like another phone. Especially when it comes to candy bar-style phones. If an OEM wants something different, how about a slider or clamshell...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
This must be fake, Nokia can't feel that threatened.

Also the 820 looks nothing like the 8X. HTC might as well counter sue saying that the 820 was based on the HTC inspire Otterbox defender cover.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
This must be fake, Nokia can't feel that threatened.

Also the 820 looks nothing like the 8X. HTC might as well counter sue saying that the 820 was based on the HTC inspire Otterbox defender cover.

I was just looking at the picture on the main WPCentral page and the 8X and 920 have different corners, slightly different heights, different widths, and their backs curve in different ways. The WP8 buttons are lower on the HTC and the earpiece speakers are different sizes with the HTC's matching the body color.

Gosh, they sure both look like cell phones. The HTC has slightly rounded edges while the Nokia has boxed off edges. Front facing camera in different locations and company logo in different places.

I also think a lot of people are making a big deal out of HTC's use of the Windows Phone branding. Nokia's Lumia branding has built a decent cache already, so I think Nokia may have had the opportunity to use that branding but decided that Lumia was a great, distinctive name. They're right.

Now if HTC had called it the Lumia 8X then there'd be a problem.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe this to be true either, and it would be disappointing if they did. On the other hand, Nokia's success with colors on the 900/800 series probably led them to borrow that idea for the new designs.

I do not, however, feel that the designs are blatant copies, and it was only logical that color choices might overlap (yellow/red) somewhat.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's likely just internet fan vs anti-fan rumor.

Though if Samsung's Android phones can be mistaken for iPhones, then the HTC 8X and 8S could definitely be confused for Nokias.

Just sayin'...

fingrar

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The phones are obviously heavily inspired by Lumia, just look at the way HTC designed phones before the lumia and look at their recent phones. Anyways to sue them would be silly i think. Would probably hurt Nokia and WP more than they would gain. Hopefully this is just a rumor

ctafield

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe this for a second... What are people saying that HTC copied from Nokia?

- The home screen layout? That's Windows Phone.
- The bright colours of the cases? Inspired by Windows Phone again, just because Nokia were first to show theirs, doesn't mean they can lay claim to coloured cases.
- The position of the buttons / USB port etc? Sorry, again, Windows Phone standard.

This is just a very daft rumour imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos