Official L920 and L820 prices in Europe revealed!

Russell11

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Alright that's something.. Now lets hear carriers pricing and date in USA!

Tbh I think we will be hearing at least which carriers by the end of the day.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
That is just one country and already we are seeing differences between the German price vs the Italian price

Anything under ?499 for the UK and I will be very happy as that seems to be the benchmark for high end SIM free deals - I think I paid ?529 for my SG3

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Living in Germany, I'm a little bit upset the the €649. I would have much more liked to see €599.

But, I know I can order from within the EU, and retailers also tend to have prices slightly lower than the suggested retail price.

And, unlike Apple gadgets, prices come down after a few months for other manufacturers. I'm hoping to find my 920 for around €500 sometime in January/February

EvilFiek

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Those "converted" prices are in no way indicative of what people in the US will have to pay. Cell phone companies are often lazy and just switch out the currency sign, so based on those prices USA can expect 599 $ for the Lumia 920. Which is quite good, imo, puts it certainly on par with SGS3/i5.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
People, stop directly converting to USD! Markets differ, if I converted from Australian pricing the iPhone 5 32GB would cost over 900 USD.

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
And we were bashing on Apple for their prices......

iPhone 4S 32GB costed 739 euros around Europe end of last year. No idea about iPhone 5, have had no interest. What i have understood it's not cheaper.

It's a bit tiring to always repeat the same mantra when it comes to people to trying to translate euro prices combined with 18-25% VAT that is also included. It doesn't work like that.

That said that that German price seems weird, why 50 euros plus from Italy? Though this is Nokia's suggested price like normal so the phone will be available for 599€ from retailers in Germany thanks to EU.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Swedish price 5700 Yey thats good (according to Nokia, we all know that some places Will sell it ? bit cheaper). But also iPhone 5 16gb costs 5990 Swedish. Sweden has higher taxes then Germany so I don't know why it's more there (seems that we have gotten the same price as Italy).

But bigger concern is telenor one of the big carriers here has chosen not to sell the lumia, because they think it's gonna sell badly. Hopefully 3, telia and tele 2 will celebrate that decision

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow! Yes, direct conversion may not necessarily translate but €629 = $796.78 CAD! Yeesh!
Direct conversion does not "necessarily translate", it's even less useful than a figure I'd give if you asked me to guess. The best you can do is to compare smartphone prices within the country you have the price for, and extrapolate that relative comparison.

Example: ฿1 (Ballmerland Ballmer) is equivalent to $1 (US Dollar). One X is ฿9400 in Ballmerland, Lumia 920 is ฿9500, GS III is ฿9600. From that, you can hope that the Lumia 920 will be in the ballpark of One X / GS III pricing in the US. You wouldn't go convert, because it so happens that Ballmerland imposes a ฿7500 smartphone import fee, and Ballmerlandians pay a lot more for their smartphones because they all earn a bunch of money, and the mobile stores are more than happy to take their money.

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
European prices tend to include VAT, which makes them more expensive.

However, even adjusted for VAT, those prices are WAY too high (especially for the 820, which will be a low-end handset by November).

Nokia's pricing makes sense if you assume they're going after their traditional market in Europe and Asia, but if they are anywhere near that pricey in the USA, Nokia will continue to occupy the same "who's that" space of the Sharps, Kyoceras and Pantechs of the world in the North American marketplace.

Samsung has pushed the full-priced Galaxy S III below $550 on T-Mobile... and that's the safe choice. If the 920 was $450 and the 820 was $299, that would get people to give WP a look. Pricing them at the same (or higher) prices than the market leaders, on the other hand, won't work, since (like it or not), WP is considered a risky platform by the average user compared to iOS and Android.

They need to be disruptive, and high prices with a bunch of esoteric features ("a screen that you can use gloves with!") isn't going to overcome the inertia and highly competitive pricing of Android handsets from Samsung and iPhones from Apple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos