Why the hate for a Surface Phone?

Radar4002

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand all the (tech) media outlets saying why it's such a bad idea for MS to put out it's own smartphone.

Why a Microsoft Surface Phone Isn't Necessary - LockerGnome
A Microsoft Phone: The wrong move at the wrong time for the wrong reasons | Ars Technica
A Microsoft-Branded Windows Phone: One Bad Idea that May Be Necessary - CBS News

And I really don't understand why it would be a 'last resort strategy' for MS either. The Surface tablet has obvious received some interest from the tech community and in my eyes created a spark for MS. It seems that a lot of comments on the rumor of MS making their own phone are mostly positive, especially if it's going to look like the concept images that have been floating around. A Windows Surface Phone could create the same spark for WP8 to get it going.

I see this as a big opportunity for MS to put out a powerhouse phone that can truly be the MS equivalent of the iPhone for MS fans/users. It seems that HTC and Nokia aren't doing enough when they are just putting phones out that are equivalent (and in some cases lacking) to top of the line phones that are currently offered. (Although I do like the 8X)

With interest lacking in the L920 (Bad news: Very few people in the USA and Canada care about the Lumia (920) | The Verge Forums) and now being exclusive to ATT (definitely not getting me to switch) I would like to see what MS can do with a Surface Phone.

I personally would be really interested to see MS shock the tech world and introduce the Windows Surface Phone this year on Oct 29th when they introduce WP8.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't care for a Surface phone. I don't see how Microsoft is going to "show up" HTC and Nokia when it has worked closely with both and they are limited by the Windows Phone spec.

Microsoft's responsibility is the software. If they decide to release hardware and not fix critical flaws in the software, I hope they have fun getting 6/10 reviews and will be hoping for a few people to be sacked.

The problem with Windows Phone 8 is not that there isn't hardware to properly convey its message. Apart from apps and marketing, its problem is itself.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't really understand all the (tech) media outlets saying why it's such a bad idea for MS to put out it's own smartphone.

Why a Microsoft Surface Phone Isn't Necessary - LockerGnome
A Microsoft Phone: The wrong move at the wrong time for the wrong reasons | Ars Technica
A Microsoft-Branded Windows Phone: One Bad Idea that May Be Necessary - CBS News

And I really don't understand why it would be a 'last resort strategy' for MS either. The Surface tablet has obvious received some interest from the tech community and in my eyes created a spark for MS. It seems that a lot of comments on the rumor of MS making their own phone are mostly positive, especially if it's going to look like the concept images that have been floating around. A Windows Surface Phone could create the same spark for WP8 to get it going.

I see this as a big opportunity for MS to put out a powerhouse phone that can truly be the MS equivalent of the iPhone for MS fans/users. It seems that HTC and Nokia aren't doing enough when they are just putting phones out that are equivalent (and in some cases lacking) to top of the line phones that are currently offered. (Although I do like the 8X)

With interest lacking in the L920 (Bad news: Very few people in the USA and Canada care about the Lumia (920) | The Verge Forums) and now being exclusive to ATT (definitely not getting me to switch) I would like to see what MS can do with a Surface Phone.

I personally would be really interested to see MS shock the tech world and introduce the Windows Surface Phone this year on Oct 29th when they introduce WP8.

Did you seriously just link to that retarded guy's post on the Verge forums where he states no one cares about the Lumia 920 and based it on Google Trends.

LOL.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Did you seriously just link to that retarded guy's post on the Verge forums where he states no one cares about the Lumia 920 and based it on Google Trends.

LOL.

That isn't true. I have a friend who has been an Apple ****** since the iPhone 3GS. He is bored with iOS 6 and the iPhone 5. He already tried a Samsung Galaxy S3 and returned it. He's waiting for the Nokia Lumia 920.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
@lak611 I dont think he believes that is true. And the reason is similar to why people didnt like Google buying Motorola. MS competing with it's partners could put everyone else at a disadvantage. Since MS would control hardware and software, they could give themselves four processors first, or have other advanacments. It be much better if they went the Nexus route.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't care for a Surface phone. I don't see how Microsoft is going to "show up" HTC and Nokia when it has worked closely with both and they are limited by the Windows Phone spec.

Microsoft's responsibility is the software. If they decide to release hardware and not fix critical flaws in the software, I hope they have fun getting 6/10 reviews and will be hoping for a few people to be sacked.

The problem with Windows Phone 8 is not that there isn't hardware to properly convey its message. Apart from apps and marketing, its problem is itself.

If they aren't going to fix software flaws then they deserve -10/10. Especially since there will be mission critical flaws in there.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
About software flaws... what better way to discover them all then having your own phone out there...?

Why go to all that bother, when they have the windows suggestion forum thingy?

They could write a 2 year development roadmap from that (although some of it is rubbish), without spending any money on hardware.

Faris Sarkis

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
i don't really understand all the (tech) media outlets saying why it's such a bad idea for ms to put out it's own smartphone.

why a microsoft surface phone isn't necessary - lockergnome
a microsoft phone: The wrong move at the wrong time for the wrong reasons | ars technica
a microsoft-branded windows phone: One bad idea that may be necessary - cbs news

and i really don't understand why it would be a 'last resort strategy' for ms either. The surface tablet has obvious received some interest from the tech community and in my eyes created a spark for ms. It seems that a lot of comments on the rumor of ms making their own phone are mostly positive, especially if it's going to look like the concept images that have been floating around. A windows surface phone could create the same spark for wp8 to get it going.

I see this as a big opportunity for ms to put out a powerhouse phone that can truly be the ms equivalent of the iphone for ms fans/users. It seems that htc and nokia aren't doing enough when they are just putting phones out that are equivalent (and in some cases lacking) to top of the line phones that are currently offered. (although i do like the 8x)

with interest lacking in the l920 (bad news: Very few people in the usa and canada care about the lumia (920) | the verge forums) and now being exclusive to att (definitely not getting me to switch) i would like to see what ms can do with a surface phone.

I personally would be really interested to see ms shock the tech world and introduce the windows surface phone this year on oct 29th when they introduce wp8.
nice information

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, I have a Titan. It should have received a few updates to the software from the OEM a couple times now. Guess what, it has not. Thank god I do not have a MS phone that would not have 2 middle men between the software updates and my phone. That alone is worth it to me to get a MS phone. No more BS from OEM or ATT about where my OS updates are stuck. If hardware is so iron clad, then it means the differentiator is apps and style. Both could be easily handled by MS. Their Surface tablets add neat features that even apple did not come up with on their tablet. They also look stunning to me. Google is not in anti trust problems with a phone and OS by them, so microsoft could have some nice apps that work wonderfully between Desktop/laptop/tablet/phone and differentiate that way. HTC does not have a tablet of PC of any kind, so they have no reason to work on that sort of apps. Nokia does not either. Samsung has a couple expensive laptops I think, but nothing else.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who wouldn't be interested in a Microsoft Surface Phone is an idiot. I'm sorry, it has to be said...

You're assuming that a Surface phone would exist for the same reason the Surface tablets exist. To set a standard for inept OEMs.

But all WP devices run great.

If the Surface phone exists to fill a niche, like business, then there may be many not interested in it.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, my Titan does belong to that "ALL" category I believe. If you think mine runs great you are uninformed. Mine does run great for what I paid for it. $0.01 Keyboard disappears. Voice quality is bad many times. All my apps work as they should though every so often i have to restart to get some things working. I have times that an app will not connect to the server, yet my phone is in a 4g or wifi area. Restart and it works instantly.

S3 works beyond great yet google has their own handset.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
You're assuming that a Surface phone would exist for the same reason the Surface tablets exist. To set a standard for inept OEMs.

But all WP devices run great.

If the Surface phone exists to fill a niche, like business, then there may be many not interested in it.

Being honest, I don't even know if the theories behind the Surface Tablet's existence are true (to set a standard). All I know is that, judging by the Surface, MS seriously know how to manufacture. Any fan of WP would be interested in seeing what MS could bring to the table. Further more... I'd be interested in seeing what Sony, LG, or Dell could do with Wp8.

I just find these types of statements very ignorant... and yes, 'idiotic', I'm afraid.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, my Titan does belong to that "ALL" category I believe. If you think mine runs great you are uninformed. Mine does run great for what I paid for it. $0.01 Keyboard disappears. Voice quality is bad many times. All my apps work as they should though every so often i have to restart to get some things working. I have times that an app will not connect to the server, yet my phone is in a 4g or wifi area. Restart and it works instantly.

S3 works beyond great yet google has their own handset.

That's terrible customer service on HTC's behalf.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That's terrible customer service on HTC's behalf.

Debateable who's CS is holding up the updates. ATT has said they are still testing the update on their system. Still gives me a tainted impression of WP. My apple devices never had a problem getting updates. Carrier could not make it hard for me to get the updates even if they tried. Apple just told them they had to. Apple has itunes for delivering updates. HTC wont strongarm the carriers. HTC does not have "itunes' to be able to distribute their update either. I guess they could do it from their site and email a link to all who own an HTC phone, but I know I never "registered" my phone.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb