Why the hate for a Surface Phone?

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Lame attempt at sarcasm?

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

That's what I get for reading on my phone. I misread one word, and it changed the whole context of your post. Pretend I wasn't here
io.gif

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Debateable who's CS is holding up the updates. ATT has said they are still testing the update on their system. Still gives me a tainted impression of WP. My apple devices never had a problem getting updates. Carrier could not make it hard for me to get the updates even if they tried. Apple just told them they had to. Apple has itunes for delivering updates. HTC wont strongarm the carriers. HTC does not have "itunes' to be able to distribute their update either. I guess they could do it from their site and email a link to all who own an HTC phone, but I know I never "registered" my phone.

Hmmm, it would be interesting to know if such an update exists for the Titan. Apple are very fortunate in that carriers only have one device (at a time) to test. If that were the case with WP, maybe we could see the Windows Store delivering updates....

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There are updates for the Titan. The tango update and all others have been put on Titans that are unlocked or international. Guess what, they all work on ATT still as well. If a WP uses MS approved hardware, I see no reason why an update would not work. Its not like MS doesn't test the updates on all the hardware they approved for use with WP OS.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That's what I get for reading on my phone. I misread one word, and it changed the whole context of your post. Pretend I wasn't hereClick to view quoted image

LOL! Don't worry we've all done it. I'm sure I've made that mistake more times over on the sister site CrackBerry than I've had cooked meals... And I'm 21 and had a very caring set of parents who always made sure I had food on the table (even made sure I had food I could personally cook when they went on vacation)...

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, I will question the assumption about a Surface Phone and ask, 'What is the purpose for a Surface WP8?'

The reality is, Surface was born because the PC manufacturers didn't do a good job for the upcoming W8 devices and they had to jumpstart the innovation. Nokia has done the lead for great WP8 devices. Unless Nokia fails totally despite its best efforts, the fact is Surface as a leader in innovation may not be needed.

Then it comes with the rumors that MS is working with Mediatek. Mediatek are the low-end of the GSM makers with a reputation of providing SoCs on KIRF devices. If a Surface phone was to target the low end then, is there need for MS to step in? I will note that while volume sales are needed to combat the Android dominance of the super low end and end the feature phone competition, Nokia has traditionally done well in this segment, evident in its Asha lineup, and ZTE and Huawei are able to provide phones in this segment as well without Microsoft needing to provide such a label to the OEMs.

So Surface is not needed. Not unless Nokia, HTC and Samsung jumps ship, but if they do jump, then what is left for MS to do in mobile? Going it alone like Nokia, RIM and HP once did? Even MS with deep pockets may find it hard, and Zune is the key reminder to MS that they can be too late to a party.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb