Samsung ATIV S Video Review

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I like the kids corner thing and it has some other nice things to it like the biggest scree non WP8 device atm (for those who value it) and the biggest battery too I believe. Also the SD slot.

Other than that it doesnt have much going for it and that cheap plastic was a total turn off (even if I'm getting a 920 regardless, but still).

Hopefully MS/WP8 will take more use of the lockscreen "different swipes" for advanced users perhaps. Similarly, I'm not sure if they've used the left side of the start screen for anything, right side is for apps but would be great if we could customize something to the left, perhaps a quick swipe for settings or connectivity etc.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Polycarbonate is a bad identifier since it's so broad. It's silly to say it is definitively "premium" but it's also silly to say it's cheap. I'm sure the manufacture of a high grade polycarbonate shell can exceed that of a metal shell.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There are literally thousands of kinds of plastic.

Saying "polycarbonate" really says nothing by itself. I could say "metal", but if the metal was a fraction of a millimeter thick that doesn't say muvh.

If we took the plastic used for the back covers of their phones and made a baseball bat out of it, it would be a hollow child's toy. You'd use it to hit wiffle balls.

If you made a bat out of the polycarbonate plastic that Nokia uses, you could use it to beat down an intruder. You could use it to break the other bat in half. Then people would complain that the bat is too heavy.

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep, Samsung sure doesn't know how to make phones. That is why the Galaxy series sells more phones in three weeks than Nokia has sold Lumias in a year.

A little perspective helps. If Galaxy S III was a horrible, cheap phone, it wouldn't be selling in the volume that it is. If Nokia's heavy brick-like phones were a superior design, they wouldn't be struggling to sell them against Samsung.

Fortunately, Samsung will be making Windows Phones, so those of us who want thin, light, fast and non-exclusive high end can still get it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yep, Samsung sure doesn't know how to make phones. That is why the Galaxy series sells more phones in three weeks than Nokia has sold Lumias in a year.

A little perspective helps. If Galaxy S III was a horrible, cheap phone, it wouldn't be selling in the volume that it is. If Nokia's heavy brick-like phones were a superior design, they wouldn't be struggling to sell them against Samsung.

Fortunately, Samsung will be making Windows Phones, so those of us who want thin, light, fast and non-exclusive high end can still get it.

Who said Samsung doesn't know how to make phones?

As for Nokia's design... in the WP realm, they're spanking all other OEMs. As WP grows, I expect Nokia to keep the dominant position.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
In the US, Nokia hasn't been able to take #1 away from HTC, and I predict HTC will comfortably maintain its lead. In fact, ATIV S will have a strong shot at outselling Lumia 920 in the US.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Is still a cheap plastic. You can buy 3-5 dollars polycarbonate glasses. There's nothing premium about it, is still plastic.

But the look my friend...the look, the feel. I don't care if polycarbonate is available for free..but the feel, and u have to admit this, is good.

Sent from my RaZr on JB!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I agree that the feel is *that* good. Durable is nice, and it's totally subjective, but I am not a fan of heavy, bulky mobile devices! Give me thin-n-light phones, please!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I agree that the feel is *that* good. Durable is nice, and it's totally subjective, but I am not a fan of heavy, bulky mobile devices! Give me thin-n-light phones, please!

Hey Moto packed some decent specs in my RaZr making it thin AND Sexy...nowhere even close to cheap-toyish looking Sammy crap..

Sent from my RaZr on JB!

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
It's not cheap material. I agree the look isn't as "stylish" as the nokia and htc offerings. However, you can probably use the ativ s daily with little fear about scratches, etc. In other words, a large scratch on the back of your yellow 920 is going to stand out, but the same scratch on the back of the ativ s isn't. Not a plus for everyone, but still a consideration. Consider the iphone. People are gaga over the design of it, but 90% of them are covered by a big, plastic, multi-colored case.

Something else, isn't the ativ s the only high spec wp8 device with a memory card slot? That is certainly a selling point.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, what do I need to do to view this video? Says its private.

S3 does not feel that great to me material wise, but still a good device to use. Material is just not High end at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte