Nokia might had it after all.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The more I look at the 810, the better it looks. (Well that's because is basically an Iphone4/Optimus Black on the front but that's nor here or there) I really though Nokia would be that stupid and even worse people thinking not having a phone on T-mobile will work.

The 810 seems a lot better than the 820, even though I believe T-mobile deserves an even better phone.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The more I look at the 810, the better it looks. (Well that's because is basically an Iphone4/Optimus Black on the front but that's nor here or there) I really though Nokia would be that stupid and even worse people thinking not having a phone on T-mobile will work.

The 810 seems a lot better than the 820, even though I believe T-mobile deserves an even better phone.

I like the look of the 810 a lot. Not a fan of the mediocre specs though.

And to say T-Mobile deserves a better phone is silly. T-Mobile is a company that was almost bought out, then sat in limbo for a long time. You may like them because they are an underdog, but there is no real advantageous reason for any company to put a flagship phone with them.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

And to say T-Mobile deserves a better phone is silly. T-Mobile is a company that was almost bought out, then sat in limbo for a long time. You may like them because they are an underdog, but there is no real advantageous reason for any company to put a flagship phone with them.
I can think of 44 million reasons why a Flagship WP on T-Mobile makes sense. That is still a large customer base. And I do believe the ATIV is coming to them, so Carly will have a high end WP to tout.

But the 810 is a good device. T-Mobile has been a strong WP supporter, so hopefully this is just the first option and not the last from Nokia.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I can think of 44 million reasons why a Flagship WP on T-Mobile makes sense. That is still a large customer base. And I do believe the ATIV is coming to them, so Carly will have a high end WP to tout.

But the 810 is a good device. T-Mobile has been a strong WP supporter, so hopefully this is just the first option and not the last from Nokia.

44 Million including the european carriers they own? Because I don't even think T Mobile has 30 million in the U.S.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

Maybe they are the underdog where you live, but here T-mobile is synonymous with quality. Fast internet and good signal. AT&T is by far the best though but is too expensive.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
44 Million including the european carriers they own? Because I don't even think T Mobile has 30 million in the U.S.

I think I read that 44 million is correct since they purchased MetroPCS. They are just a hair behind Sprint now.

In Europe T-Mobile/Orange is really big.

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
He's probably including the approx. 10 million acquired with Metro PCS. However, those consumers have no shot at WP8 phones this year because they will be stuck on Metro's network until at least Q1 of 2013.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, and which carrier had the most TV ads featuring Windows Phone? Clue: it wasn't the Blue Death Star.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

TMo deserves whatever phonbe they agree to take. It's all about show Nokia the money and they us what you want for that money!!!!! If you dont like what T Mo has blame....TM O!

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
There's method to their madness. Although not having a flagship on every carrier will hurt them, especially on T-mobile where they lack a competitor to the S3.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Let's put things in perspective here. If little underdog T-Mobile USA converted its entire smartphone user base over to WP, it would triple the size of the WP user base worldwide.

WP OEMs are in no position to berate carriers, including T-Mobile. A 920 style phone actually makes MORE sense for T than AT&T, since the latter has eight high end phones to choose from (and the 920 will get lost in the noise) versus T, which only has two as of mid November.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Let's put things in perspective here. If little underdog T-Mobile USA converted its entire smartphone user base over to WP, it would triple the size of the WP user base worldwide.

I am sorry but on what planet can you expect a carrier to "convert" all its users to another phone OS. More realistically, you are looking at a small market share company that is still deflecting rumors about long term solvency demonstrating the same adoption rates as every other carrier. Up front that is a few percent of the portion of its subscribers eligible for upgrades. That number is likely in the thousands or tens of thousands; certainly not millions.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, let's blame everyone but Nokia.

Nokia's exclusivity arrangement is remarkably stupid by any logic since they are going exclusive with one carrier in a crowded market in which they are a very minor player. It is the equivalent of a car dealer saying they will be the exclusive dealer for Smart Cars - it may get press but it will hardly save your business. With that said, they are in the business of selling phones and (most likely) they had no other upfront takers. Sprint has bowed out on WP8; T-Mobile does not have the money to burn; and VZW continues to show no commitment to the platform (in spite of the fantasies some people may want to spin and believe). In the US that leaves AT&T. Personally, the only way this does make sense is if even AT&T was not biting and Nokia needed to sweeten the deal.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry but on what planet can you expect a carrier to "convert" all its users to another phone OS. More realistically, you are looking at a small market share company that is still deflecting rumors about long term solvency demonstrating the same adoption rates as every other carrier. Up front that is a few percent of the portion of its subscribers eligible for upgrades. That number is likely in the thousands or tens of thousands; certainly not millions.

T-Mobile converted its entire smartphone base to Android in less than two years.

And T-Mobile has sold over 40% more Lumias than AT&T has this year.

As for the "solvency" stuff, there is no basis for that claim at all. T is profitable.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile converted its entire smartphone base to Android in less than two years.

The smartphone market was a very, very different place when Android first appeared than it is today. There are established, consumer-oriented smartphone OSes on every carrier right now. That just wasn't the case when Android hit T-Mobile...iOS was still in its early years and no other smartphone OS was consumer-oriented instead of business-oriented.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, let's blame everyone but Nokia.

Whoa wait a minute. Nokia is in business to make money. A carrier contacts them and says we want a Lumia 900 or whatever and Nokia says okay we need x $$ per unit and aminimum commitment at that price of x units and the carrier says cant afford that and they cant reach an agreement after negotiations and Nokia moves on. Is that Nokia's fault or the carriers fault or nobody's fault? To me it is certainly not Nokia's fault because they are entitled as the mfger to set a price for a product and if a carrier or an individual is willing to buy if for that price there's a sale and if not theres no sale no contract. That the way business works. Nokia I would think wants to sell as many units as they can and make a profit doing that and if a c arrier or company wants to buy the product it will be at an agreed price not necessarily what either party wants but at what they agree upon if there's no agreement theres no sale. So maybe its nobodies fault but to me the fault would lie with the carrier as they would be unwilling to pay what Nokia the manufacturer had to have. Look at Sprint and the IpHone and how thats cramped their abiulity to deal with WP8!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720