VZW WP8 Update

cooperma

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
@Mr. MacPhisto

My brother works at best buy and he said that one of the VZW reps came in and mentioned what they are going to do with unlimited data:

He said in Feb or Mar they were going to let people know that it is disappearing for good. People in a current contract can keep their phone and go month to month, essentially breaking the contract and losing the unlimited data. Phone would be free at that point. He also said that you could also sign back up with them for a 2 year contract and get subsidized pricing again.

Have you heard about this? Cause if this is true, I will keep my unlimited data when I get the 8x...and then in Feb or Mar see if there is a 920 variant or better out...

Not sure if this is true though, although I could see VZW wanting unlimited gone.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
@Mr. MacPhisto

My brother works at best buy and he said that one of the VZW reps came in and mentioned what they are going to do with unlimited data:

He said in Feb or Mar they were going to let people know that it is disappearing for good. People in a current contract can keep their phone and go month to month, essentially breaking the contract and losing the unlimited data. Phone would be free at that point. He also said that you could also sign back up with them for a 2 year contract and get subsidized pricing again.

Have you heard about this? Cause if this is true, I will keep my unlimited data when I get the 8x...and then in Feb or Mar see if there is a 920 variant or better out...

Not sure if this is true though, although I could see VZW wanting unlimited gone.

You could switch to T-Mobile, keep your unlimited data, and cut your bill by over half. Just sayin'... :D

cooperma

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Haha...in Indiana where I live...I cant :) And the hospital I work at pushes VZW LTE through it...and nothing else...so...nah.

Not the first that told me that though :)

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
@Mr. MacPhisto

It's hard for me to believe that Verizon is going to eat that much subsidy just to get people off of unlimited data (especially on LTE I don't think it costs them that much (unlimited data has been gone for over 18 months - they started tiered data in July 2011)). If they did that to me I would pick get my GS3 (32 GB model for $250 on contract last July) for no buy out. By the way, I rarely go over 2 GB and I would happily switch to a 2 GB tiered plan - Shared Data plans for 2 people are exorbitantly expensive (I currently pay $80/month for 700 minutes/month, no texting plan, 1 smartphone, 1 Dumb phone) - never go over the anytime minutes, and the cheapest shared plan would be $120 ($40 smartphone, $30 dumb phone and $50 for 1 GB data). I could switch to a $30 2 GB plan if I had to go to tiered - would just have to watch my data use (do get near the cap occassionally). I think the number of abusers on VZW (say 10 GB+/month) are pretty few and they're not going to break millions of contracts just to get rid of a few abusers.

cooperma

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ya I am with you. It could go either way. You wouldn't think they would want to eat the subsidy...but depends on how much killing unlimited data is worth. He told me about it but I have no idea if it is true.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It's hard for me to believe that Verizon is going to eat that much subsidy just to get people off of unlimited data (especially on LTE I don't think it costs them that much (unlimited data has been gone for over 18 months - they started tiered data in July 2011)). If they did that to me I would pick get my GS3 (32 GB model for $250 on contract last July) for no buy out. By the way, I rarely go over 2 GB and I would happily switch to a 2 GB tiered plan - Shared Data plans for 2 people are exorbitantly expensive (I currently pay $80/month for 700 minutes/month, no texting plan, 1 smartphone, 1 Dumb phone) - never go over the anytime minutes, and the cheapest shared plan would be $120 ($40 smartphone, $30 dumb phone and $50 for 1 GB data). I could switch to a $30 2 GB plan if I had to go to tiered - would just have to watch my data use (do get near the cap occassionally). I think the number of abusers on VZW (say 10 GB+/month) are pretty few and they're not going to break millions of contracts just to get rid of a few abusers.

On the good side, exsisting Verizon customers can stick with their current plan instead of switching to this new shared plan with the exception of the unlimited data.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I really dislike Verizon and AT&T's everything share plans, simply due to the fact basic phones are charged at 30 dollars per month access. It might be, because they are aware some can take advantage of the unlimited messages and text, but come on...I bet 90% of basic phone users are now grandma and grandpa. It's a rip off to charge 30 dollars for a monthly line access for them.

Were they to lower it to 20, those plans would look so much better.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, unlimited data will not go away but they are sticking to their guns that people must not take a subsidized phone in order to keep it. There has been some talk that Verizon will also limit it to phones bought from them directly only, so they can charge a higher off contract price.

They've felt for a while that most of the unlimited data plans will fade through attrition. They've already seen quite a few leave.

There's also talk of moving to metered billing with tiered packages. You pay $X per megabyte used for the first 4GB, more for the next data amount, etc. They don't like this concept much because they prefer the locked in monthly revenue, but the feeling is that one of the other carriers will move to metered billing and force everyone to. They're talking about $.01 per megabyte, so essentially $10 per GB but eliminating a smartphone fee. Basically $40 a month for unlimited talk/text and metered billing. So if you use 4GB, you'd pay $80. They don't like the concept because the bill fluctuates, but the feeling is that this is where it's heading.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, unlimited data will not go away but they are sticking to their guns that people must not take a subsidized phone in order to keep it. There has been some talk that Verizon will also limit it to phones bought from them directly only, so they can charge a higher off contract price.

They've felt for a while that most of the unlimited data plans will fade through attrition. They've already seen quite a few leave.

There's also talk of moving to metered billing with tiered packages. You pay $X per megabyte used for the first 4GB, more for the next data amount, etc. They don't like this concept much because they prefer the locked in monthly revenue, but the feeling is that one of the other carriers will move to metered billing and force everyone to. They're talking about $.01 per megabyte, so essentially $10 per GB but eliminating a smartphone fee. Basically $40 a month for unlimited talk/text and metered billing. So if you use 4GB, you'd pay $80. They don't like the concept because the bill fluctuates, but the feeling is that this is where it's heading.

They need to charge a more attractive price for their data. Their data plans on the share everything system is outrageous if you have only one phone and ok if you have two phones. The system makes no sense. There is just too much emphesis on the value of data. It should be 40$ a line flat out and 10$ GB.

Pay as you use could save alot of people money in the long run and its 1024MB per GB so they would actually make a little more.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
The interesting thing about their current data rates on Shared Everything is that there actually is a tipping point on the data/number of phones where it does start to save money. Basically you need to have more than 3 smartphones and if you average between them less than 6BG per month you start saving a bit of money.

Of course the fact that a lot of Verizon customers get big discounts through their employers (typically 20%) affects the picture too.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The interesting thing about their current data rates on Shared Everything is that there actually is a tipping point on the data/number of phones where it does start to save money. Basically you need to have more than 3 smartphones and if you average between them less than 6BG per month you start saving a bit of money.

Of course the fact that a lot of Verizon customers get big discounts through their employers (typically 20%) affects the picture too.

Actually I have a 15% discount and I currently save 15$ a month. With the new plan I will save 12$ a month.

paulsnyder90

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea what colors of the 8x Verizon is getting?

I want the neon green/yellowish one but I've only seen the blue one out and about lately.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
A red one with Verizon branding can be seen in the HTC design video.

So. tomorrow we should hopefully get more info from this training. I'm eagerly waiting.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8X at Launch

Just spoke with a buddy of mine who manages a Verizon store out near where I live. He is going in for training tomorrow for WP8, but for "HTC only" (his words). No Nokia... yet.

However he did say a Nokia rep came in today to speak with them and that they were going to carry a Nokia model, but he made it sound like it wasn't going to be right at launch.

He said as far as he knows right now, only HTC 8X at launch in multiple colors.

He promised to update me with more details & additional info after training tomorrow...

As always, take it for what it's worth... your mileage may very...

cooperma

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Sucks about the yellow. Hoping for a online only offer...hopefully vzw markets thw crap out of wp8...i would love it to be a real competitor of market share

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Just spoke with a buddy of mine who manages a Verizon store out near where I live. He is going in for training tomorrow for WP8, but for "HTC only" (his words). No Nokia... yet.

However he did say a Nokia rep came in today to speak with them and that they were going to carry a Nokia model, but he made it sound like it wasn't going to be right at launch.

He said as far as he knows right now, only HTC 8X at launch in multiple colors.

He promised to update me with more details & additional info after training tomorrow...

As always, take it for what it's worth... your mileage may very...
Nokia model will be at my training

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99