VZW WP8 Update

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
hahaha!. More then likely what we will get. Most people tend to be more optimistic though
The 8S is a sure thing (no yellow option that guy either) but the Ativ S isn't something I'd count on. I heard that our next prepaid smartphone was going to be a 4G Samsung WP8. The Ativ S is way too high end to sell for $150-$200 on prepaid service.

Verizon isn't giving WP8 special treatment though. They're still pushing how important it is to match the right device with the right customer. I would only expect the 8X and 822 to get big announcements the other phones will probably roll out business as usual like how the Intuition or the Lucid or the Incredible 4G just kind of were available one day.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Something i did notice is that the theme colors were different between the two phones. The Nokia had more than the 8X and they were much different. The 8X I had was the indigo. The 822 was white.

Can u talk more about this? How many more colors than htc 5,10 or 15 more as shallow as it is this would make me switch Oem as everything else that's important to me is a wash (cept the sd card thingy)

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I thought that VZW was going to push wp8 as hard as droid right?

Verizon doesn't work that way on the consumer level in store. They will do marketing for it and you should see more WP8 promotion this year than Droid. The marketing will likely cause more people to ask about and desire WP8 devices, so Verizon employees will figure out the needs of the customer and recommend either the 8X or 822 based on budget and features. For instance, if someone says music is important to them then expect the 8X to get a push - and probably get a push over most any phone in their lineup when the beats amp and availability of Xbox music and other features are factored in.

They are going to make a push for larger corporate contracts to move over, especially for those still using Blackberry.

But there is hope that the greater awareness through marketing and word of mouth will cause the platform to grow substantially and lessen the impact Android has on their bottom line while also lessening Apple's power.

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
8X is Godly. Like, holy ****. Most premium feeling phone I've ever held. Snappy, fast, and GORGEOUS screen. Camera was good enough for what most people will do.

822 is okay. Looks and feels a lot like the Samsung Droid Charge. Screen looks fantastic for having a low resolution. Very thick and plasticy.

I am in love with the 8X though. Will be ordering on launch day.

VZ Navigator, My Verizon Mobile, Back Up Assistant, and NFL Mobile come preinstalled but are unstallable.

this is a very promising development about the 8x. I have been (and still am) disappointed that there's not really any solid proof of a 9xx Lumia variant coming to VZW, mainly because i am sold on the PureView camera and I love the idea of City Lens, but...if it turns out that the 8X can produce photos that are anywhere CLOSE to what the 920 takes, i will be just fine with the 8X.

only problem is, i'll have half the storage of the 920 with which to store them...but...i can just remove them regularly, i suppose. :)

any of this is, of course, contingent on me being able to convince my wife that i actually need to upgrade my phone. :straight:

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Verizon doesn't work that way on the consumer level in store. They will do marketing for it and you should see more WP8 promotion this year than Droid. The marketing will likely cause more people to ask about and desire WP8 devices, so Verizon employees will figure out the needs of the customer and recommend either the 8X or 822 based on budget and features. For instance, if someone says music is important to them then expect the 8X to get a push - and probably get a push over most any phone in their lineup when the beats amp and availability of Xbox music and other features are factored in.

They are going to make a push for larger corporate contracts to move over, especially for those still using Blackberry.

But there is hope that the greater awareness through marketing and word of mouth will cause the platform to grow substantially and lessen the impact Android has on their bottom line while also lessening Apple's power.

So basically they are in it to combat apple and android's power. And get some corporate business. The consumer should not expect too much and more than likely get one phone pushed at them. Nice.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
That's what I like to hear. I just wish the HTC had City Lens... I'm glad to hear this thing is nice, depending on what happens the 29th, the 8x has my vote.

Do we really need city lens when we've got local scout? I think city lens is cool too but it pretty much relays the same info albeit in a very modern and cool way.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Can u talk more about this? How many more colors than htc 5,10 or 15 more as shallow as it is this would make me switch Oem as everything else that's important to me is a wash (cept the sd card thingy)
The Nokia had the WP7 colors and then some really Earth tone ones. They were all pretty ugly IMO. There was probably like 21 colors. The 8X had about 16 colors and they were all various "girly" colors to match the indigo phone. I preferred the dark theme with the indigo tiles and indigo phone. Just looked so clean and nice. The blacks are really deep on the HTC.

And the 822 was 8GB with a card slot. The battery is removable but the battery door is inductive. I mean its literally the Droid Charge running WP8.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
8X has the default colors as well.

Another thing about the 822 is that the physical keys on the side feel cheap as ****. This is most definitely a budget phone and the wireless charging/Nokia apps are the only thing going for it.

Also, to everyone who is upset VZW isnt getting the 920, go to the store and check out the 8X. PREMIUM

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
So basically they are in it to combat apple and android's power. And get some corporate business. The consumer should not expect too much and more than likely get one phone pushed at them. Nice.

Verizon is about leverage. They like WP8 because it gives them more leverage with Apple. Android is not a power issue, but a money issue. There's a lot more cost to support Android than iPhone or, likely, WP8.

Verizon's preference would be to see Android and WP8 at about equal marketshare and iPhone eliminated from the market entirely. That's not realistic, just what they'd like to see. Apparently AT&T and T-Mobile feel the same, for entirely different reasons. The carriers severely dislike Apple. If the iPhone ever sees significant drop in marketshare, look for carriers to stop selling them or allowing new iPhones on their networks. I'm serious on this.

It's another reason why VZW is interested in BB10. They'd be ecstatic if BB10 recovered RIM, Android continued to do well, WP8 grows substantially, and iPhone ends up in fourth place in 3-4 years. As I said, not expected, but they'd love it. They hate Apple. And apparently they are not alone in the cell industry. I think it's only a matter of time before the carriers feel able to make demands of Apple and, if Apple does not comply and allow iPhone to be treated just like any other phone then they'll get dropped. Apple is in a position of strength right now, but the Galaxy S3 showed it is possible to beat them head to head. Verizon wants to see more of that.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok Honestabebread you're starting to win me over I just still on the edge. So I'm just wondering what you think makes the 8x so good?

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Do we really need city lens when we've got local scout? I think city lens is cool too but it pretty much relays the same info albeit in a very modern and cool way.

You'll have to forgive my newbness - but I'm just switching off four years of iOS for the WP8 - I've been going crazy the last three weeks about it.

I wasn't aware of this other app, but I'm going to take a look at it. Are Nokia Maps available to download on the 8x? I've heard lots of good stuff about the maps.

Overall, I would have to say since Verizon isn't getting anything 9xx related (from what we've heard so far), after all the research I've done, the 8x does not sound like an inferior device. I was afraid about storage, and realize that Xbox music is going to take care of a lot of my needs, and SkyDrive is far superior to iCloud in nearly every way.

The positive views of the forum members here have calmed me down a bit, and helped me be okay with my somewhat pigeon-holed selection of flagship devices on Big Red.

Tell us mooooaaaaarrrrr!

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I've also played with the HTC 8X courtesy of a HTC Rep stopping by our Best Buy. It is indeed a very nice phone, feels nice in the hand, and very pocket friendly. Camera indeed takes quick pics, and I might just get it if the Lumia 920's camera fails to live up to expectations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte