VZW WP8 Update

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I would think if Verizon loved them so much, they would actually get one of the decent phones on their network. The new Samsung looks to be a complete waste. With the 822 now free on contract and the 8x cheap, what good is another mid range phone. We need a champion phone.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I would think if Verizon loved them so much, they would actually get one of the decent phones on their network. The new Samsung looks to be a complete waste. With the 822 now free on contract and the 8x cheap, what good is another mid range phone. We need a champion phone.

While Verizon does love WP8, they aren't willing to lay down a heavy subsidy yet. Sales still need to perk up. I haven't heard about new devices except a W8 and a WRT tablet.

I would like to see a high end phone from Nokia but at this point only time will tell. I'm very happy with my 8X. It leaves nothing to be desired so I haven't been paying any attention. I do have a massive meeting the end of this month all about 2013's upcoming products and services, so hopefully I get some good info

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
While Verizon does love WP8, they aren't willing to lay down a heavy subsidy yet. Sales still need to perk up. I haven't heard about new devices except a W8 and a WRT tablet.

Kind of a catch 22 there. The flagship phones like the Nokia 920 often drive sales of the lower phones, and the Nokia 920 is by far the best selling Windows Phone currently per the ad tracking statistics.

Myself, I am not satisfied with any of the choices currently. The 8X has too little storage, no microsd, problematic coating which can wear off and stain, and is missing gyro. The 822 is using a low res screen, limited color selection (I want CYAN!), no gyro, otherwise nice though. The Samsung is poor all around.

Thus, I will continue to use my 3G HTC Trophy until Verizon releases something on the level of the 920, or a cyan 822 with HD screen. The 2 year contracts are too long to settle for something less if you are an enthusiast.

Overall, though, the 822 is the best overall device Verizon offers currently IMO.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon loves any device that gets a contract signed, the amount paid to the OEM is lower than the iPhone. I sold my GN2 and have a Nokia 822 due to arrive on Thursday that I got off of eBay NIB sealed. Looking forward to it, although now I have to deal with the gmail issue and redirecting my account since Microsoft is NOT allowing account renames so my Live account is my gmail account and I need it to be my Outlook.com account. Total cluster.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The 822 is using a low res screen, limited color selection (I want CYAN!), no gyro, otherwise nice though...... Overall, though, the 822 is the best overall device Verizon offers currently IMO.
Not true - there is a gyro.
Nokia Lumia 822 Specifications - Nokia - USA Expand the Software and Applications section, and it's right in the center of the screen. Yeah, I agree - how is a gyro "software and applications"?

Agree with your last statement.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The new hardware revision on the 8X is phenomenal. My work phone has the "soft" coating, where as my employee edition phone has a much more slick and hard coating. I much prefer the newer coating.

As for new phones, I'm fairly certain a blue 822 is in the pipeline. The clear hard shell case on VZWs website shows a baby blue 822 inside of it.

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

This reflects a concern I had expressed previously, that Verizon will give up on WP because they will not see substantial sales. Regardless of how much we are told that the Verizon corporate people want WP to succeed, the fact is that phones are sold on the floor and based on my experience, the sales force is not 'selling' the windows phones. My wife just bought a new phone this past weekend. She bought the Galaxy 3S. Unfortunately I could not convince her to try a WP phone, but then with Verizon not offering a true WP flagship phone, it's difficult to entice someone away from either the iPhone5 or G3S. It was very clear to me that the salesperson knew nothing about windows phones. When my wife asked him what he knew about the WPs he said "Well, windows phones were notoriously bad", obviously he did not understand that the operating system is completely different from the old 6.1 windows phones, or if he did he didn't realize by how much. One issue my wife brought up was the ability to use her new phone when we travel. Verizon labels the G3S and all other LTE phones as world phones but they only work on LTE networks, which are limited. I had to point out that both the 822 and 8X have GSM radios in them and are therefore really world phone capable. Interestingly, the salesperson knew this but didn't bother to say anything to my wife until I brought it up. Again, a clear sign that he just wasn't interested in selling a windows phone. What was also interesting is that he admitted to me that Verizon hates the iPhone and wishes that they didn't have to sell it. It never seemed to occur to him that perhaps if the salespeople tried to actually 'sell' the WPs they might be able to move people away from the iPhone.

Overall, the experience I had at my local Verizon store was disheartening. It's my opinion that Verizon will not lend much support to WP going forward, the Samsung Ativ may be the last WP we see at Verizon for a long time. My guess is that once the new BBs come out, any effort that Verizon would have given to sell WPs will be instead diverted to sell BBs.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that once the new BBs come out, any effort that Verizon would have given to sell WPs will be instead diverted to sell BBs.
The BlackBerry has always put a tingle in VZW's dingle, and I've never understood why. When I bought my 2nd Treo back in the day, the weasel did everything he could to get me to buy a BB, and he only stopped when I turned to walk without anything.

It was always like that. Go in for anything that wasn't a BB, get a hard sell to change your mind. To this day, I still hate VZW for their tactics that they used then. Among other reasons.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
The return rate is extremely high on the 822. The 8X seems to stick better once it is sold but I've heard a lot of reports that the 822 has some huge issues.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I would be shocked if Verizon abandoned WP at this point. They have made moves away from apple and have promoted wp8 more than just for show. There are very good rumored devices coming this spring and Stephen Elop has said he is excited about what they have planned with Verizon. The 822 and the 8X are two of the best customer reviewed phones on Verizon. I am cautiously optimistic about WP on Verizon.

Shantanu Kongara

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be absolutely zero push from VZW store employees to sell WP8 devices.
Was at a local store yesterday, where the store rep refereed to "Live Tiles" as "CIRCLES" when a potential buyer asked about the data hogging nature (??) of WP8 devices. The buyers friend (also present...with an 8X) had run out of his allotted data for the month and dint know what caused it. The VZW rep had no clue where background tasks shows up on the menu....and simply said...he dint know how to check. I had to chime in and show him. I even told him about the Data Sense "EXCLUSIVE to VZW" feature....anyway, the potential customer said no thanks and bought some LG android device instead.
With ATT extending the free wireless charger till the 21st of Feb as well as offering buy one get one free on Windows Phone 8 devices....makes me wonder if this is a push to sell devices before some announcements at MWC which starts on 25th of Feb. Hopefully VZW gets a flagship Nokia device. Or I will just have to stick it out with my Trophy till my contract ends in June...and jump ship. Its always a compromise when it comes to VZW and Windows Phone.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
What are these issues? My family has 5 of them and they are all smooth as butter.

I also hadn't heard of all of these 822 issues. Reading forums here and elsewhere it actually seems that the 822 has the least problems of any of the wp8 handsets and seems to have the happiest owners. On the flip side of that is that the person who posted about the problems is a trusted Verizon source on these forums and would know.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Visit to local Verizon store was a bit eye opening. I went in with a technical question about my 822; nothing big just needed a clarification. The person that helped me showed me that she was now carrying the 822 as a business phone.

I gave her my phone so she could take a look and the first thing she asked, "How did you change the color of your home screen?" After a bit of shock, I showed her the theme setting under the settings menu. She was the expert and did not know how to change theme colors. Needless to say, I did not get my simple question answered until I came home and searched this forum.

User support here is by far than what I've experienced in the Verizon Store. Does that give you some idea how much support Verizon gives WP's.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I also hadn't heard of all of these 822 issues. Reading forums here and elsewhere it actually seems that the 822 has the least problems of any of the wp8 handsets and seems to have the happiest owners. On the flip side of that is that the person who posted about the problems is a trusted Verizon source on these forums and would know.

Just simply not activating on the network.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo