Why isn't there a 32 GB for the HTC 8X?

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the best reason for greater onboard storage to be games? I mean, games will get bigger; heck some android games are taking up more than 2gig right? So with WP8 and the kind of games we'll see on this platform having a connection with XBox compatibility??? One could possibly fill up their phone quite fast with Games and then you have to start deleting, because you cannot install a game on the cloud and then access it from the phone can you?

And how expensive IS storage nowadays?

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I guess if someone lives far out away from any major city, I could understand the need for a CDMA device with Verizon.

But if you live within 80 miles of a mid-sized city, you'll get faster speeds at a lower cost with T-Mo -- an average of about 15 Mb/second with an HSPA+28 device. 'Tis a fact.

I just don't understand why anybody would buy a $150+/month plan that uses up all its monthly data after just four or five Netflix movies.

AT&T is now even starting to block Facetime and other apps that it doesn't want you running on your network, even if it is within your tiny block of capped data. Outrageous!

The whole point of wireless data is to be able to use it when and where you want! If you need "local storage" because your network imposes draconian caps and restrictions, it doesn't matter that you can get a "strong signal" in the middle of the high desert.

Once you go north of Grand Rapids, Michigan, T-Mobile phones are bricks. I had some killer paychecks when I was a Verizon sales rep converting people over from T-Mobile because they moved to Northern Michigan and VZW is the only thing worth a damn up there.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, in the hinterlands, you pay 4x as much for *everything.*

My parents live on the edge fringe suburbs of a major eastern city, and they pay $150 a month for standard definition conventional cable plus 1 mb/second "high speed internet" from Comcast. Eeep!

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
10-12 GB means that the OS, etc is ridiculously HUGE. iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 left me with 13.7 (out of 16 GB)...why would WP8 be that much larger?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
10-12 GB means that the OS, etc is ridiculously HUGE. iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 left me with 13.7 (out of 16 GB)...why would WP8 be that much larger?
Not all phone storage is born equal | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Formatting, preloaded apps and other weirdness makes 12GB an absolute possibility. The Focus S and Lumia 800 have more available storage than your iPhone, the Titan has almost a full GB less.

Isn't the best reason for greater onboard storage to be games? I mean, games will get bigger; heck some android games are taking up more than 2gig right? So with WP8 and the kind of games we'll see on this platform having a connection with XBox compatibility??? One could possibly fill up their phone quite fast with Games and then you have to start deleting, because you cannot install a game on the cloud and then access it from the phone can you?
Games and media. I currently trim my games and music collection paper-thin for my phone, I don't keep any videos or podcasts on it once I'm done with them and I have Zune set up to sync across the camera roll and immediately delete all the captures from my phone. With 32GB, I'll have way more breathing room with games and music, and I might be able to keep a few favourite podcast issues on (maybe even watch some video podcasts) or even a movie.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure AT&T demanded the gimped 8X because they didn't want it to demolish 920 sales.

One look at the thin, svelte, sexy 8X next to the fat, brick-like Lumia 920, and there'd be no comparison... users would choose the 8X overwhelmingly and AT&T likely has to sell a lot of 920s to make back their exclusivity deal. If they could break the legs of the best Windows Phone device for everyday people right out of the gate by trimming storage to laughable levels, it makes the contest less of a challenge for Nokia.
What the **** does AT&T have to do with anything?

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link, AngryNil...I honestly had no idea that different devices running the same OS could vary so drastically in regards to actual available memory.

Hopefully the 8X is closer to 14 GB than 12 GB.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I put the ****s in myself. ;)

The other benefit of unlimited 4G is that, even for games, streaming can enable new capabilities. With technology like OnLive, one can play high quality games from his fast 4G device regardless of OS, simply and cleanly over a high speed network. No storage required.

But it is only economical on a non-capped data plan...

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but after reading all this TMO cheerleading I went to their site. Where exactly is this unlimited everything plan for about $62/mo???

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but after reading all this TMO cheerleading I went to their site. Where exactly is this unlimited everything plan for about $62/mo???

T-Mobile Family Value Plan -- $49.99/month with 2 GB data, $59.99/month with unlimited data.

Add basic phone insurance and it's $62/month (before taxes).

If you go for a standalone Value plan (SIM card only), it's $69.99/month for unlimited everything:

Unsupported Browser

It's a darn good deal.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So you are taking a 2 phone plan and dividing by 2 and not including a phone with it. You are shocked that its cheaper than any carrier including a subsidized phone and an individual plan? Show me an apple to apple comparison please.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb