Samsung ATIV Odyssey for Verizon

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

I don't think that's it. The form factor measurements are smaller than the original Galaxy S. These measurements indicate a screen in the 4" range. The size is on par with the Trophy. Looks much closer to the Galaxy S III Mini.

In fact, it could be that this is a Verizon version of the Galaxy SIII Mini.

Going through the FCC filing, I see no mention of the screen measurement, just the measurements of the body.

If this is a WP8 device for VZW then I'd guess its the low end Samsung.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The ATIV is the i920 and that Verizon device is the i930 so it had to be a WP8 device, right? If 4.65" screen is mid range, what is the 4.5" Nokia 920 and 4.3" 8X? :)

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I think Ubergizmo was going off past rumors when they cited the 4.65" screen. WMPowerUser says it too, but we all know they're not the most reliable source of information for...just about anything.

Which document had the measurements of the body? We could compare them to the Ativ S and see if they match.

Edit: Found them. It's 119.5 mm x 61.55 mm (thickness isn't listed). The Ativ S is 137 mm x 70 mm. Therefore, this device is definitely smaller. I'm also pretty sure that it's a Windows Phone device, given the SCH-I930 model number (SCH-IXXX model numbers have historically been Windows Phone/Windows Mobile devices).

For comparison, the Galaxy S II was 125.3 mm x 63.1 mm, so the SCH-I930 is even smaller than that. It's also significantly smaller than the Galaxy Nexus (135.5 mm x 67.9 mm). The Galaxy S III mini is 121.6 mm x 63 mm, which is the closest to this one.

I'm thinking it's a midrange 4.0" device, or essentially a WP8 Galaxy S III mini. Sorry guys.

Last edited:

pavlovscow

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
So a verizon device, most likely windows phone 8, from samsung with a 4" screen? Another mediocre windows phone device would be their style. So frustrated with the "Nation's #1 Network"

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
The ATIV is the i920 and that Verizon device is the i930 so it had to be a WP8 device, right? If 4.65" screen is mid range, what is the 4.5" Nokia 920 and 4.3" 8X? :)

The i920, from what I've found, is the old Samsung Omnia II. The i910 is the Omnia. Both old Windows Mobile devices.

There also are SGH designations, but it appears that the second letter indicates if the phone is CDMA or GSM. My guess is the designation means Samsung GSM or CDMA Handheld.

The i937 with the SGH designation is the Focus S.

I do not think this is the Odyssey. I think it is a low end Samsung phone for the prepaid accounts, probably based on the Focus S. I'd guess it will have a lower end Qualcomm processor. I know a low end Samsung with a smaller screen is coming. Honestabebread has said the same.

But I'm pretty certain this filing is not for the Odyssey.

pavlovscow

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, if this isn't the odyssey, that's good news. Although I'm getting concerned that the odyssey won't make it in time for the holidays. I waited and waited for the thunderbolt only to be disappointed. I don't want a repeat.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Right now I really badly need a new phone as I still have the First Motorola Droid and I have been eligible for an upgrade for a year and a half.

I don't know how long I can hold for with this phone on its last leg, I waiting for the Ativ Odyssey. If it's anything like the Ativ S then its the phone I want or else Im going with the 8X

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I think Ubergizmo was going off past rumors when they cited the 4.65" screen. WMPowerUser says it too, but we all know they're not the most reliable source of information for...just about anything.

Which document had the measurements of the body? We could compare them to the Ativ S and see if they match.

Edit: Found them. It's 119.5 mm x 61.55 mm (thickness isn't listed). The Ativ S is 137 mm x 70 mm. Therefore, this device is definitely smaller. I'm also pretty sure that it's a Windows Phone device, given the SCH-I930 model number (SCH-IXXX model numbers have historically been Windows Phone/Windows Mobile devices).

For comparison, the Galaxy S II was 125.3 mm x 63.1 mm, so the SCH-I930 is even smaller than that. It's also significantly smaller than the Galaxy Nexus (135.5 mm x 67.9 mm). The Galaxy S III mini is 121.6 mm x 63 mm, which is the closest to this one.

I'm thinking it's a midrange 4.0" device, or essentially a WP8 Galaxy S III mini. Sorry guys.

Something doesn't make sense. I don't where I read this or maybe its from this forum, but apparently the reason the Odyssey is being released in December is because Samsung didn't want it to interfere with their Note II release. Why would Samsung be concerned so much with a midrange 4.0" device interfering with their premium quad core 5.0+ inch phone?

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Something doesn't make sense. I don't where I read this or maybe its from this forum, but apparently the reason the Odyssey is being released in December is because Samsung didn't want it to interfere with their Note II release. Why would Samsung be concerned so much with a midrange 4.0" device interfering with their premium quad core 5.0+ inch phone?

Because this isn't actually the Odyssey?

Verizon is supposed to be getting two Samsung WP8 devices. A low end device that will cater primarily to prepaid customers, though they may still offer it as a free or dirt cheap device on a two year contract. The Odyssey is supposed to be on the higher end.

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Fingers crossed then, because Im waiting for it. Uggh wish a leak of the specs would come out already. From Daniel Rubino's article that I read a week or two back, even he suggested the Odyssey will be a low end phone. Who knows at this point, lets hope for a high end

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
The Apple/Samsung trial leaked the screen size of this phone as 4.65" in the Samsung court documents. That is where everyone is getting the 4.65" from, so unless something has changed since then odds are it will be 4.65".

I also personally think that the Odyssey will look significantly different than the ATIV S. My reasoning is that Microsoft did not show a picture of the ATIV S when they were showing the Verizon ATIV Odyssey phone, just a hand drawn placeholder photo. If this phone was to look identical to the ATIV S, I would think they'd just show a pic of the ATIV S. I am interested to see the end product, hopefully Samsung will make something that stands out in a good way without looking cheap.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
The Apple/Samsung trial leaked the screen size of this phone as 4.65" in the Samsung court documents. That is where everyone is getting the 4.65" from, so unless something has changed since then odds are it will be 4.65".

I also personally think that the Odyssey will look significantly different than the ATIV S. My reasoning is that Microsoft did not show a picture of the ATIV S when they were showing the Verizon ATIV Odyssey phone, just a hand drawn placeholder photo. If this phone was to look identical to the ATIV S, I would think they'd just show a pic of the ATIV S. I am interested to see the end product, hopefully Samsung will make something that stands out in a good way without looking cheap.

That's why I don't think this is the Odyssey. The measurements are too small for a screen of that size.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Just really really hope that the Odyssey is a high-end phone. For now I'm still upgrading from my Galaxy Nexus to the 8X, but the 8X lacks storage (only 16GB), it has a much smaller screen, and a smaller battery than other WP8 devices. That is what's bringing me down hard.

I might even just get the Note II, just because the hardware doesn't cut it for me on the 8X. But I would love to make the switch to WP.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Good grief:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/267899056569868288/photo/1

A7fExccCYAAmT02.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills