HTC 8X battery life

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
When I had about 4 hours hands on with the phones, I depleted about 45% of the battery. This was on LTE browsing the web, watching movie trailers, using a ton of location based features, setting up Kids Corner, etc. I cannot see battery life being an issue here. Engadget said it lasts a full day of regular usage no problem. I trust Engadget because their always pan out in real life. My Intuition is exactly how they described it. Same with my Razr, Rezound, Curve 9370, and every other phone I've carried.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
When I had about 4 hours hands on with the phones, I depleted about 45% of the battery. This was on LTE browsing the web, watching movie trailers, using a ton of location based features, setting up Kids Corner, etc. I cannot see battery life being an issue here. Engadget said it lasts a full day of regular usage no problem. I trust Engadget because their always pan out in real life. My Intuition is exactly how they described it. Same with my Razr, Rezound, Curve 9370, and every other phone I've carried.

How did u like the 8x?? I'm coming from a gs3. Wanting to swap to it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I just did my own 1-hour web browsing test with my iPhone 4. I charged it to 100% and began web browsing, Facebooking and watched 2, 10-minute YouTube videos. I had 88% capacity after 1-hour. At this rate I could go over 8 consecutive hours.

That chart is bogus.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Is that 4 hours of pretty much continuous use? If so then that's good news. I'm not too worried about the battery life.

alterbridge86

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of things that factor into web browsing battery life...Anandtech, where that chart is from, is probably the most accurate site you can find, as far as scientific tests go (for all subjects, not just battery life).

In any event, I too found it odd that the iPhone on LTE did way better than the 3G numbers...so I went and looked up the iPhone 5 review on Anandtech to see if they mentioned that discrepancy and why it happened like that.

As it turns out, they did explain the discrepency and it actually makes quite a bit of sense. It's also worth mentioning that the Wifi web browsing tests resulted in even LONGER battery life, exceeding 10 hours. So anyway, here is the explanation:

As always we test across multiple air interfaces (3G, 4G LTE, WiFi), but due to the increased network load we actually find that on a given process technology we see an increase in battery life on faster network connections. The why is quite simple to understand: the faster a page is able to fully render, the quicker all components can drive down to their idle power states.

The simple translation - since the page can load significantly faster at LTE speeds, the phone can idle down faster resulting in much less battery drainage. I expect once we see LTE tests of the 8x we will see similar results (longer battery life on LTE then 3g).

For those interested in more reading about the Anandtech battery life bench suite, you can check out the link:
AnandTech - The iPhone 5 Review

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest checking out GSM Arena once they get a review. Their Labs are pretty thorough when it comes to testing battery (and pretty much everything else).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The camera shots posted on AnandTech looks very good. Crisp even. I'd like to see some upclose shots though. But I like what I see from the camera.

radiogirl83

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Battery drain on HTC 8X

I meant to say that the problem with the 8X is idle drain. There is definitely something wrong there.

I agree. Just got my 8X and barely got 5 hours of battery life out of it. Without touching it all that much. And the back processes mostly switched off. This phone drains at a rapid pace from just lying on the table :/

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Just got my 8X and barely got 5 hours of battery life out of it. Without touching it all that much. And the back processes mostly switched off. This phone drains at a rapid pace from just lying on the table :/
You don't understand, you have a completely new battery. New batteries need to be used for at LEAST 5 days (with heavy use) and then the actual battery will kick in. Even a month will be better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte