What if the Samsung ATIV Odyssey is the ATIV S?

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
There is absolutely no news about any ATIV phone in the US, so could the Odyssey be the exclusive/variant of the ATIV S for Verizon?

(I know you can't really trust PhoneArena but even they have listed it with the specs of the ATIV S)

Samsung ATIV Odyssey specs

And I believe the ATIV S's radios don't work with Verizon's network, so if it was to come out there would HAVE to be a variant...

:confused:

Phone Arena: "We believe that the Samsung ATIV Odyssey will be a version of the ATIV S for Verizon, even more so when one of the codenames that the ATIV S was known by prior to launch was "Odyssey".

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
And I also wanted to add that IMO, I don't think that a low-end device would be exclusive to a carrier. Most likely only a high-end device.

Benny1434

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It probably is a CDMA variant of the Ativ S.

I'm actually pretty surprised that no one has picked up the Ativ S in the US, this is probably why?

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
It probably is a CDMA variant of the Ativ S.

I'm actually pretty surprised that no one has picked up the Ativ S in the US, this is probably why?
Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing... now if it was to even come out, I can't decide between the 8X or ATIV S... or should I say "ATIV Odyssey" :lol:

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it totally depends on what you want. Bigger screen, thin, light-wight. ATIV S. more stylish, color options, more involved OEM. HTC? Either way, I see it as a win-win. Both look great
What's killing me is the 8X's beats audio. But with the Odyssey then I'm getting a bigger screen (but lower PPI), more storage, and the biggest deal to me a giant 2300mAh battery. But the beats audio... grr. :mad: I want!

Ocelott

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
What's killing me is the 8X's beats audio. But with the Odyssey then I'm getting a bigger screen (but lower PPI), more storage, and the biggest deal to me a giant 2300mAh battery. But the beats audio... grr. :mad: I want!
Beats Audio is a gimmick. Unless you have a high quality pair of headphones their probably won't be much of a difference

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Beats Audio is a gimmick. Unless you have a high quality pair of headphones their probably won't be much of a difference
1. No it's not a gimmick.
2. The output voltage of the 3.5mm jack is much higher than any other devices.
3. I do have a pair of high-quality headphones.
4. I have Beats Solo HD's, and the point is that the software adjusts specifically with your earphones, to get the best sound.
5. The software works best with the beats headphones.
6. I had beats audio on my HTC Rezound, and there was a huge difference in sound.
7. Again, it is not a ****ing gimmick.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that it is the Verizon version of the ATIV S.

Also heard that it may have wireless charging like the 8X apparently does for VZW. Verizon has been pushing that and wants to have high end devices that support it.

Expect it to slot at $249 with 32GB and it may have a 16GB variant for $199. Same pricing range as the S3.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
1. No it's not a gimmick.
2. The output voltage of the 3.5mm jack is much higher than any other devices.
3. I do have a pair of high-quality headphones.
4. I have Beats Solo HD's, and the point is that the software adjusts specifically with your earphones, to get the best sound.
5. The software works best with the beats headphones.
6. I had beats audio on my HTC Rezound, and there was a huge difference in sound.
7. Again, it is not a ****ing gimmick.

The best way to experience music is with full range studio quality headphones that provide a flat frequency response and a headphone amplifier. I use Sennheiser for my usual listening but I am also a bass head so I also have a pair of XB500's that I use when I am in a bass mood. These are 45$ headphones and when you hook them up to an amplifier they perform pretty well but they sound like crap on normal jacks. They are rated for 1500mW (likely 150-200mW RMS) and most headphone jacks run at 30-60mW.
If you need any audio processing software for any reason when it comes to headphones then you either A: need to get your hearing checked, B: need to buy better headphones, or C: need a headphone amplifier. All the processing in the world won't fix your headphones/audio circuit where they should be.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
The best way to experience music is with full range studio quality headphones that provide a flat frequency response and a headphone amplifier. I use Sennheiser for my usual listening but I am also a bass head so I also have a pair of XB500's that I use when I am in a bass mood. These are 45$ headphones and when you hook them up to an amplifier they perform pretty well but they sound like crap on normal jacks. They are rated for 1500mW (likely 150-200mW RMS) and most headphone jacks run at 30-60mW.
If you need any audio processing software for any reason when it comes to headphones then you either A: need to get your hearing checked, B: need to buy better headphones, or C: need a headphone amplifier. All the processing in the world won't fix your headphones/audio circuit where they should be.
What are you talking about? It just enhances the sound. And I know beats are overpriced but you're still comparing your $45 headphones to my $200 headphones.

You can try plugging in your headphones to your smartphone and listening to it on max volume, and then try listening through your laptop on max. You'll hear a difference for sure in quality and through your laptop it will be significantly louder.

Even people that have used the 8X for testing, when they plugged it in to listen to their music in their CAR, (through the AUX) they could hear how the music was louder, crisper, and sounded much better overall. (Compared to using their previous smartphone.)

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? It just enhances the sound. And I know beats are overpriced but you're still comparing your $45 headphones to my $200 headphones.

You can try plugging in your headphones to your smartphone and listening to it on max volume, and then try listening through your laptop on max. You'll hear a difference for sure in quality and through your laptop it will be significantly louder.

Even people that have used the 8X for testing, when they plugged it in to listen to their music in their CAR, (through the AUX) they could hear how the music was louder, crisper, and sounded much better overall. (Compared to using their previous smartphone.)

I have a Bachelors in Music Production, I understand the science behind sound. Anything designed to process audio only derives it from its intended mix. The best way to listen to anything is using a Lossless high bit rate codec and using sound systems with a flat frequency response curve.

If you have any speakers that provide an uneven response curve then you can use an equalizer to try to compensate for the loss but most software either uses compressors which cuts down the dynamic range of music which could be better then using a low quality codec or uses an equalizer that does not take in the Q of a curve that needs to be compensated and will usually improve only a portion of the curve or make the response curve to large and you will end up with the surrounding frequencies louder then intended.

Audio amplifiers provide the energy required for the speakers to drive properly. Less power than the speakers require will cause the speakers to extend too slowly to work correctly and a majority of the time they wont extend to full excursion to provide the crisp sound the speakers need to work as intended. Software won't save you from crappy headphones unless you have advanced options like dB, Q, and Frequency to gain full control. if the curve is too low the EQ could need to be amplified so much that you start clipping before it returns back to a flat curve. At that point you need to use a compressor which can kill off the offending frequencies. Thats also providing your audio device puts out enough power to run your speakers properly and your audio listening capabilities are capable of Identifying and properly adjusting to compensate.

So yes, audio amplifiers (Beats audio amp qualifies) paired with the right headphones will out perform software every time vs using high power headphones with a standard circuit and audio enhancements(beats software). If your making judgements based on the quality of LFR then your thinking incorrectly.

Don't get me wrong, everyones hearing is different and their tastes are subjective, audio enhancements are great for people who have hearing loss in certain frequencies or have crappy headphones and know what to do to compensate properly but for the average person to be able to properly do any proper EQ adjustments they need to hear the song using a lossless codec and studio monitors and compare back and forth to figure out what exactly they are missing. EQ presets are ridiculous and are a gimmick.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a Bachelors in Music Production, I understand the science behind sound. Anything designed to process audio only derives it from its intended mix. The best way to listen to anything is using a Lossless high bit rate codec and using sound systems with a flat frequency response curve.

If you have any speakers that provide an uneven response curve then you can use an equalizer to try to compensate for the loss but most software either uses compressors which cuts down the dynamic range of music which could be better then using a low quality codec or uses an equalizer that does not take in the Q of a curve that needs to be compensated and will usually improve only a portion of the curve or make the response curve to large and you will end up with the surrounding frequencies louder then intended.

Audio amplifiers provide the energy required for the speakers to drive properly. Less power than the speakers require will cause the speakers to extend too slowly to work correctly and a majority of the time they wont extend to full excursion to provide the crisp sound the speakers need to work as intended. Software won't save you from crappy headphones unless you have advanced options like dB, Q, and Frequency to gain full control. if the curve is too low the EQ could need to be amplified so much that you start clipping before it returns back to a flat curve. At that point you need to use a compressor which can kill off the offending frequencies. Thats also providing your audio device puts out enough power to run your speakers properly and your audio listening capabilities are capable of Identifying and properly adjusting to compensate.

So yes, audio amplifiers (Beats audio amp qualifies) paired with the right headphones will out perform software every time vs using high power headphones with a standard circuit and audio enhancements(beats software). If your making judgements based on the quality of LFR then your thinking incorrectly.

Don't get me wrong, everyones hearing is different and their tastes are subjective, audio enhancements are great for people who have hearing loss in certain frequencies or have crappy headphones and know what to do to compensate properly but for the average person to be able to properly do any proper EQ adjustments they need to hear the song using a lossless codec and studio monitors and compare back and forth to figure out what exactly they are missing. EQ presets are ridiculous and are a gimmick.
Please use one like I have with the HTC Rezound and then say it's a gimmick. The sound is indeed better and no I don't have any hearing loss.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb