Why no quad core

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I know the only reply: WP does not need it. It runs smoothly on dual.

But want to point out some facts:
1. None of OEM is now incapable of producing quad core WP.
2. With time quad core WP will be surely launched with so called 3rd gen WP
3. Being NT at the core WP8 will very efficiently use all core of quad core and will then make possible even more complex programs.

I think since Windows, WP will follow same phenomena of desktop processing power with only difference that quad cores in phones have less base frequency.

Now the replies will be like currently WP does not need, but when OEMs will launch quads there will still be no such need, but eventually more complex apps will get created.
(Hope those apps will not get slower on dual cores)

So the point - does OEMs just playing bad cards to create just one in-between generation on WP platform in order to create possibility of forcing users to upgrade to the 3rd gen phones.

Good to talk on same thread even after the 3rd gen phones will be launched.

Am sure if Surface phone comes up, it will have quad cores and will boot up 3rd gen.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone manufacturers aren't going to skip over all the money they are going to make off dual core WP phones. Once that horse had been ridden to its death quad cores will then be deployed.....for a price.

Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Imo if oems did quad core they would require a much larger battery for an insignificant increase in performance.

Last edited:

Steephill

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Unless applications are optimized for a quad core you get the same performance as a dual or single core. WP8 seems to run fine on a dual core so there really is no need for more cores, yet. Unless you plan to be running tons of apps at once you wont notice a difference. Heck, even most computer programs aren't designed to use more than 2 cores. So a quad core would mean less battery life for less than noticeable spec increase.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
There are no quad cores because the currently released build of the OS has only been optimized and tested on certain SoCs, which happen to be dual core. Microsoft is surely working on expanding this support and we'll probably see it in the spring.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Quad core? You're way behind the times I am talking octo core :D

2jebb78.jpg

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much any big application will be designed around the iPhone, and thats dual core. Its going to be a year before the iPhone goes quad core, at which point you'll start seeing a necessity for quad core.

So, you have the 920 & 924, with Dual and Quad core, would you pay $50+ extra, for a phone that has 2 extra cores, that may get used by applications in a years time?

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Can someone point me to an application that would significantly benefit from a quad core? I mean really see a performance boost over dual core setup, not something marginal?

Hard mode: No games.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Can someone point me to an application that would significantly benefit from a quad core? I mean really see a performance boost over dual core setup, not something marginal?

Web browser?

In reality though, the best reason to go quad core is that the newer SoCs have a significantly improved GPU. I know it is unrelated to the core count though.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Update installation time would probably be reduced a bit with the install being spread out over four cores, providing there are no bottlenecks.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Ever used the maps app? See how long it takes to render? That would be significantly improved. Ever used any app with pictures? That would be significantly improved. Games would be hugely improved as stated more due to the improved GPU power than CPU. But games that have AI would see a huge improvement. Right now, AI shares a space in line with all the other processes in a game. So user pushes right, that takes a cycle and core. Screen moves right, that takes a cycle and core at the same time. Now AI has to wait till one of the cores is available to perform its process.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Ever used the maps app? See how long it takes to render? That would be significantly improved. Ever used any app with pictures? That would be significantly improved. Games would be hugely improved as stated more due to the improved GPU power than CPU. But games that have AI would see a huge improvement. Right now, AI shares a space in line with all the other processes in a game. So user pushes right, that takes a cycle and core. Screen moves right, that takes a cycle and core at the same time. Now AI has to wait till one of the cores is available to perform its process.

Maps already renders WORLDS faster on the new dual core devices. Even then, the apps in question have to be OPTIMIZED for the additional cores. Easy Mode achievement still not unlocked.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If an app is written to utilize 2 cores it doesn't necessarily mean that you need to rewrite it for 4 cores. You just break up any work that you can into threads and let the CPU decide how to run it. A quad core should provide better performance immediately without having to rewrite everything.

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

Instead of pointing to specific app I will point out to the fact that my desktop performance is significantly improved as I moved from P4 to Core 2 Duo to i7.Since the same Windows platform this will be replicated on the Windows Phone. And since I am developer I habitually do multitasking, reading book on some tech, opening multiple tabs (min 4) in browser to read related articles and opening OneNote to jot down important points. And never care if some email, twitter client is already running in the back.

So I feel multi-cores are really important.

And I also feel that we here just un-necessarily considering apps made to utilize multiple cores. I feel NT kernel is itself optimized to run multiple thread on separate cores. So if not just apps but the performance improvement can also be seen at OS level.

And yeah I do feel MS should make task switching really fast. Holding down back button for 1/2 second will annoy. It should be quick like Alt+Tab and boom. May they put some multiple key pushes like: Windows Key+Back

Last edited:

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much any big application will be designed around the iPhone, and thats dual core. Its going to be a year before the iPhone goes quad core, at which point you'll start seeing a necessity for quad core.

So, you have the 920 & 924, with Dual and Quad core, would you pay $50+ extra, for a phone that has 2 extra cores, that may get used by applications in a years time?

I agree with the first part of this. I think the iPhone will be the trend setter for years to come... and it makes me sad... I would like to see an Android or even WP get up there and do the trend setting and I believe it could happen, I'm just not sure when.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Imo if oems did quad core they would require a much larger battery for an insignificant increase in performance.
Why? Dual cores run more efficient than single core and quad core runs more efficient than both. The problem is that there is nothing at the moment to utilize all the cores. They are just now getting the dual core stuff down. That goes for all the OS's. A quad core android is a joke at the moment and by the time it's utilized there will be more efficient quads out there.

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Why? Dual cores run more efficient than single core and quad core runs more efficient than both. The problem is that there is nothing at the moment to utilize all the cores. They are just now getting the dual core stuff down. That goes for all the OS's. A quad core android is a joke at the moment and by the time it's utilized there will be more efficient quads out there.

Please don't stick to the apps optimized for multiple cores. Running 4 apps side by side is not a big deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte