Disgusted with Verizon/Nokia

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The 822 is a fine device. The 8X is also a fine device.

To sit and whine about the camera (when it's generally stated by most reviews that the L920 isn't really noticibly better except in low-light) and claim that you are a photo-hobbiest that depends on his phones camera, is pretty silly in my opinion. If pictures are THAT important to you get a freaking digital camera that will take pictures 100X better than any cell phone out there.

I'm pretty certain I didn't complain about either the 822 or the 8x. In fact, I think I said something along the lines that the 8x would be good for the right person.

I do have a digital camera, and just one of my lenses cost $2500, so I already have the equipment you're referring to. But I don't want to carry it with me all the time. But since I have a phone on my belt all the time, I'd like to be able to use it when I don't have my real camera, Mr. Snarky. But with Trophy, when I do that, I'm always, without exception, disappointed.

If you like the 822, fine - buy it. If you want the 8x, I have no problem with you buying it. But likewise, I expect that same level of respect. I want the 920 or an equivalent variant. If you don't like that, you are the one with the problem.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I wish every WP device was available on every carrier, at the same price, no exclusives. It would end 99% of the angst in the community overnight. :(

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
In an interesting turn of events, all this hype about the 920 coming out tomorrow, the free charging pad, the thread where at least one store is giving away $100 in free accessories.... I pulled up the ATT coverage map again in the hopes that something had changed...

It has. On 10/31 the map was updated. It looks like my house, and most of my county, is now in ATT's 4G LTE coverage area now. Last year before I got my Trophy, I'd switched to ATT and was dissatisfied with their coverage on my Focus with the voice and 3G, so now that the map shows I'm in a 4G area, and just about everything between me and Atlanta is 4G LTE, I'm wondering just how accurate it is.... and whether I should risk it and take the plunge.

I'm going to have to talk with the wife about it tonight when I get home from work. Maybe I will make the switch. I certainly don't feel like rewarding Nokia or ATT for the exclusivity deals, but I sure do want that phone. :/

Covfam

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
In an interesting turn of events, all this hype about the 920 coming out tomorrow, the free charging pad, the thread where at least one store is giving away $100 in free accessories.... I pulled up the ATT coverage map again in the hopes that something had changed...

It has. On 10/31 the map was updated. It looks like my house, and most of my county, is now in ATT's 4G LTE coverage area now. Last year before I got my Trophy, I'd switched to ATT and was dissatisfied with their coverage on my Focus with the voice and 3G, so now that the map shows I'm in a 4G area, and just about everything between me and Atlanta is 4G LTE, I'm wondering just how accurate it is.... and whether I should risk it and take the plunge.

I'm going to have to talk with the wife about it tonight when I get home from work. Maybe I will make the switch. I certainly don't feel like rewarding Nokia or ATT for the exclusivity deals, but I sure do want that phone. :/
I wouldnt rely on that map, AT&T says my whole region is covered by 3g yet only two towns with 40k populations actually have ANY coverage at all and it immediatly ceases once you leave town. and btw those are the only two places with at&t stores in a 300 mile area from where i live. i flat dont trust thier coverage maps... wich is a shame because in general i find they carry better devices than verizon wich does cover almost every inch of our region <sigh>

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I tried to convince my wife. She pulled out the old "call so and so, they have ATT" argument. Well, I did. They're not happy with the coverage around here at all. So I guess the map does lie. :-(

I wish there were a way to get a GSM phone to work on Verizon's network.... =/

Covfam

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I tried to convince my wife. She pulled out the old "call so and so, they have ATT" argument. Well, I did. They're not happy with the coverage around here at all. So I guess the map does lie. :-(

You and me Both! i frequently like the actual devices on AT&T much better even if i find tham as sleazy to deal with as verizon.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site

To be fair the phone does matter too. If they have phones that typically get good reception and still say it's not great then I understand, but maybe they have sub-par devices in terms of phone reception, then it's a different ballgame.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Nokia blew it on this one. I guess they needed the cash. I would not blame Verizon, in the end Nokia wanted enhanced advertising or monetary incentives that Verizon would not provide and made the conscious decision to go with AT&T instead. We know this as the 822 is on Verizon so its not a political thing. This is all on Nokia IMO.

You should do what I am doing. Buy nothing and wait.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, Nokia blew it on this one. I guess they needed the cash. I would not blame Verizon, in the end Nokia wanted enhanced advertising or monetary incentives that Verizon would not provide and made the conscious decision to go with AT&T instead. We know this as the 822 is on Verizon so its not a political thing. This is all on Nokia IMO.

I want to switch... But I think for the first time ever I'm going to be patient with my upgrade and see what htc/Nokia/Microsoft come up with for verizon.

Until then, my lame iPhone will have to do.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Ahh, so it was Nokia who "chose" to go exclusive with the L920, and will most probably sell fewer phones and make less money as a result. Yeah, I am sure that was a part of their master plan, to sell less and make less. Think it's time to realize who controls the Smartphone market in the US. Aside from Apple that is.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, so it was Nokia who "chose" to go exclusive with the L920, and will most probably sell fewer phones and make less money as a result. Yeah, I am sure that was a part of their master plan, to sell less and make less. Think it's time to realize who controls the Smartphone market in the US. Aside from Apple that is.

I would venture to say yes it was most likely Nokia. If Verizon were the culprit, why would they stock the 822 at all? Perhaps AT&T offered them a deal they could not refuse, like a massive gratis advertising campaign or prominent product placement that they felt they needed?

I just don't see the logic in Verizon accepting a mid-end phone but refusing a high-end phone.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

Isn't there a 14 day return period? If so what is the risk? I ask because I'm really considering bringing my wife and in-laws over to AT&T. If the coverage isn't there I would absolutely return them...would need to in order to keep the happy wife/happy life.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Isn't there a 14 day return period? If so what is the risk? I ask because I'm really considering bringing my wife and in-laws over to AT&T. If the coverage isn't there I would absolutely return them...would need to in order to keep the happy wife/happy life.

There is but I am not sure how well that works out porting numbers and over and what not. I would ask all the carriers involved first. Verizon would probably consider it a cancellation of the contract and then you would need to get a new one from them upon returning. But that's just my guess. Usually when I asked the store about that they said I should try with a assigned number from AT&T and have my calls forwarded from the old phone and then if I like it then port the numbers over.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I think AT&T offered Nokia a lot of cash for exclusivity with the 920 which Verizon wasn't willing to do. This is all speculation though because the bottom line is AT&T has the 920 and us Verizon customers have the 8X and Lumia 822 to choose from no matter how upset we are about it.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I would venture to say yes it was most likely Nokia. If Verizon were the culprit, why would they stock the 822 at all? Perhaps AT&T offered them a deal they could not refuse, like a massive gratis advertising campaign or prominent product placement that they felt they needed?

I just don't see the logic in Verizon accepting a mid-end phone but refusing a high-end phone.
I think this makes the most sense. I'm sure that Verizon was interested in the 920 (after all, they are, as you said, carrying the 822). I'm guessing that AT&T offered to promote the **** out of the 920 and sell it for cheap in exchange for the exclusive. Verizon probably made the business decision that they didn't want to give a sweetheart deal like that to Nokia. It takes 2 sides to make a deal, and Nokia took the better offer. Nothing wrong with that on either side.

But don't tell that to the "Blame Nokia!" or the "Blame Verizon!" crowds.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There is, but it's a pain. And why bother if I know friends who have trouble with reception. I had looked at the map yesterday and got my hopes up before calling any of them to see if their reception had improved. My pastor, and others at church on ATT have to walk outside to the parking lot in order to talk on the phone at church. A couple of them are on iPhones, but a several are on Samsung Focus as well. I've managed to get more than 10% of my church on Windows Phones. *pats self on back* :)

There is but I am not sure how well that works out porting numbers and over and what not. I would ask all the carriers involved first. Verizon would probably consider it a cancellation of the contract and then you would need to get a new one from them upon returning. But that's just my guess. Usually when I asked the store about that they said I should try with a assigned number from AT&T and have my calls forwarded from the old phone and then if I like it then port the numbers over.
You can port over and port back, but it's a pain. You will get charged the ETF if you're still on contract, and then you'll have to deal with the customer retention department to get them to waive it, and get your original contract end date back, blah blah blah. Last year, when I got sick of waiting on Verizon, first I ported my wife and her son over to Spring when Arrive came out, but their reception was pathetic so we switched back. Then when I needed a phone in order to test an app I was working on, I ported just my number to ATT, but ported back two weeks later when Trophy came out. It was a big pain. That's why I don't want to take the leap unless I know it's going to work out.

I'm not pointing the finger at either or both. I don't care which one carries the greatest blame. Neither of them is going to get any sale from me until they give me what I want, and what I want is the camera (or better) that is in the 920. Until then, I'll be sitting here with Trophy, because now that I see what is possible, I know that I won't be satisfied with less, so I'm not going to waste a two year contract on less. I'm disgusted with both of them that they can't work out a deal that will benefit customers that will make money for both of them.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm just holding onto the hope that Nokia has had to focus on getting the 920 out all over the world. That and the ATT exclusivity period it's just taking time to crank out a batch of 920s with CDMA, etc. for the Verizon network.

I'll be hanging onto my Trophy until after the new year. After that I'll probably get the 8X, but I really want all the extras of a 920.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)