Got to see an 810 today...

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
... and it is a lot thinner than the photos in blue would suggest. It's about the same thickness as the 820... that is, to say, much skinnier than the 920.

It seemed snappy enough, though the screen didn't really blow me away.

T-Mo will have it Wednesday, along with the 8X.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Eh. I don't know if I'd go that route. The screens are pretty noticeably different on the devices in terms of resolution. That's kind of a no-compromise area of phone buying for myself anymore.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Def getting the 810 here. FAR more important then the screen for me is the ability to have lots of storage. I go on long trips and like to have a large selection of music with me. The 64GB SD card is the big seller for me... even over the L920.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Def getting the 810 here. FAR more important then the screen for me is the ability to have lots of storage. I go on long trips and like to have a large selection of music with me. The 64GB SD card is the big seller for me... even over the L920.

BINGO!!! My trips tend to put me in areas that don't have data coverage also, so storage is a big thing.

MathiasVerden

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an HTC Titan and I'm not a smartphone power-user. I take a few photos now and then, listen to around 5-10 different songs and check facebook/twitter.

Even at 4.7" the old resolution seems clear enough to me, but I'm wondering if the 810 will come to Europe or if it's ONLY T-mobile. I live in Denmark and I've always purchased my phones unlocked.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I currently have an HTC Titan and I'm not a smartphone power-user. I take a few photos now and then, listen to around 5-10 different songs and check facebook/twitter.

Even at 4.7" the old resolution seems clear enough to me, but I'm wondering if the 810 will come to Europe or if it's ONLY T-mobile. I live in Denmark and I've always purchased my phones unlocked.

The 810 is a T-Mobile specific version of the Lumia 820. There's no fundamental difference between the two other than the cellular radio and the styling. If you like the 810 for its features and the 820 for its styling, you will have a phone you love with the 820.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Guys, with XBox Music and streaming, you don't need local storage anymore. Plus, T-Mobile 4G unlimited means you don't have to worry about caps. You can stream to your heart's content. No need for cumbersome libraries, syncing, and all that other Atari-era stuff...

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Guys, with XBox Music and streaming, you don't need local storage anymore. Plus, T-Mobile 4G unlimited means you don't have to worry about caps. You can stream to your heart's content. No need for cumbersome libraries, syncing, and all that other Atari-era stuff...

That's just fine and dandy if you are in an area that has a signal (cellular or WiFi). Some of of go places that don't have connectivity (yes, even on purpose). If I can't get a signal, then I can't listen to music stored in the cloud.

Hence the desire to have a nice fat MicroSD stuffed full of music or videos. ;)

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That's just fine and dandy if you are in an area that has a signal (cellular or WiFi). Some of of go places that don't have connectivity (yes, even on purpose). If I can't get a signal, then I can't listen to music stored in the cloud.

Hence the desire to have a nice fat MicroSD stuffed full of music or videos. ;)

It's funny how people so often forget about this, but coverage isn't 100%. On top of that, I happen to work in a location which actually blocks celluar and WIFI signals for security reasons. And what about someone who files a lot? Not usually any coverage on a plane.

The cloud is simply not omni-present; an SD card is. Especially when I can store 64GB of music on it!

OTOH I compared the 8X and the 810 and found I could barely tell that the 8X had a higher res screen. In my mind that makes the significantly higher resolution a non-factor in determining which phone is best for me. Internally the 8X and 810 are identical so I find it a difficult argument at best to call the 8X high-end and the 810 mid range. Especially when the 810 offers the SD expansion, which is important for the way I use the phone. However, I'm sure the 8X is a better choice for other usage requirements.

MathiasVerden

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The 810 is a T-Mobile specific version of the Lumia 820. There's no fundamental difference between the two other than the cellular radio and the styling. If you like the 810 for its features and the 820 for its styling, you will have a phone you love with the 820.
The Lumia 810 looks way different than the 820. I want the 810, nothing else.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
For me the L810 is way over priced when you can go over to the AT&T store and for $99.99 buy the best WP8 device on the market today. Really T-MO the pricing of this device right now is need I say Nasty..

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, again, the "all-in pricing" of the 810 experience on T-Mobile is WAY lower than on other carriers, to be fair, if you're looking at an individual plan. You pay a bit more up front for the phone but a much lower price for equivalent services.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros