ATIV Odyssey Leaked!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
samsung-ativ-s-leak.jpg

vs

Odyssey.jpeg

Only thing that looks similar to me is the back vent style. And when compared to the ativ-s it does appear to be much thicker, or smaller.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm rambling, so here is my point. Verizon's selection of Windows phones seems targeted at budget minded people looking for a reliable device to make calls and stay connected in Today's modern age. They are not targeted at early adopters.

As an early adopter I don't feel that we get to experience the best devices on the best network. I want my phone to both be a status symbol and be relevant in 2 years. The HTC 8X is the closest but its the only one that isn't unique and doesn't feel like a choice of equal measure to the others. It also doesn't compete well against the iPhone 5 or Samsung g3. A Nokia 920 or a Samsung ATIV S could have changed that.

Since Verizon didn't, we Windows Phone fans and early adopters have a justifiable complaint. We don't have Windows Phone options that compete against the best on the market, and Verizon's decisions regarding phone selection seem to cater to casual phone users rather than the vocal phone enthusiast that frequents windows phone rumor forums. Unfortunately I got my hopes up again, that Verizon would lead the way. Instead, they seem to still be playing it conservative. Maybe if the Droid DNA doesn't sell well, Verizon can negotiate a contract with Samsung or Nokia for their top tier phones.

As I have stated before, look to Nokia and AT&T if you want to point the finger at why the 920 is not on Verizon. They will not sacrifice their network spending to subsidize a phone. It's that simple.

If Nokia had allowed AT&T to subsidize the phone AND let Verizon price it out at $199.99 then you would have it. But AT&T paid big money up front to prevent this for one reason - people will pay the extra $100 on the phone just because its Verizon.

Verizon does mostly cater to casual phone users. They have said they want WP8 to be mass market and they are not aiming for slow growth in the platform. Most phone users don't care about resolution. They care about being able to surf the web, text, maybe Skype, and have a nice experience.

Why do you think HTC is reportedly going to start backing off high end devices? The Galaxy S3 sells because Samsung has done a great job marketing it and making it an "IT" device. The iPhone is the same kind of thing, but most people still don't care about the resolution. And while you may be able to tell the difference, most people can't or they don't care.

I can tell the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD. I also see the difference between 1080p streaming or downloaded and BD. Blu-Ray blows it all away, but the future will be streaming or downloads. And, truth is, most people are still quite happy with DVD, even upscaled on the screen.

The early adopters are a small slice of the pie and Verizon has never put much emphasis on them. They waited until Android 2.0 to do anything there and they had no interest in the iPhone before it was proven.

If that's a problem then I urge those people that crave the 920 to go to AT&T. That's what AT&T hopes because they are propping up their poor growth numbers and have been seeing a downward trend.

Verizon's philosophy is all about the network. They'd love to have the 920, but they will not pay out the $450 per phone subsidy that AT&T is paying.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I think some are taking the displeasure with the Verizon phone choices too personally. While you've been a great ambassador for Verizon, I think you're tied to them more than you let on, and have been generous with information leading up to the launch. The reaction to people wanting better phones is very defensive. Even taking shots at the 920 seemed uncalled for.

We get it, they are all about the network and you will like it. They are a lot like GE in their regards to business strategy and self worth. But people do have a right to be unhappy.

Now you say Verizon has never put stock in early adopters. And that would describe the people on this forum complaining for the most part. Again easy to see why they are not satisfied.

As I said, I believe you are a valuable resource to this forum. But you appear to be taking these criticisms too personally and lashing back.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I can tell the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD. I also see the difference between 1080p streaming or downloaded and BD. Blu-Ray blows it all away, but the future will be streaming or downloads. And, truth is, most people are still quite happy with DVD, even upscaled on the screen.

I dont think most people understand there is a difference between 1080p and BR. They just think BR is 1080p and so is my cable movie channel. Yes both are displayed at 1080p but that means very little in video quality. BR looks REAL, 1080p just looks better than 480p. It looks better because they did not scale up the 480p pixels to fill the screen, they did actually start with 1080p pixels but then they compress it to be able to stream via cable. Hence the reason a BR video is like 50gb yet most 1080p streams are like 5gb. Same movie, same resolution. Whats missing??? Lots...

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I think some are taking the displeasure with the Verizon phone choices too personally. While you've been a great ambassador for Verizon, I think you're tied to them more than you let on, and have been generous with information leading up to the launch. The reaction to people wanting better phones is very defensive. Even taking shots at the 920 seemed uncalled for.

We get it, they are all about the network and you will like it. They are a lot like GE in their regards to business strategy and self worth. But people do have a right to be unhappy.

Now you say Verizon has never put stock in early adopters. And that would describe the people on this forum complaining for the most part. Again easy to see why they are not satisfied.

As I said, I believe you are a valuable resource to this forum. But you appear to be taking these criticisms too personally and lashing back.

I don't take it personally at all and have said repeatedly that the 920 is a GREAT phone. I understand why people like it.

A point I have made is that the 822/820/810's only real gripe that some have is the display. If it were a 1280x720 display then it'd get a lot of love, apart from people not being thrilled with the design on the 822.

My point has been that people like to point the finger at Verizon instead of pointing it squarely at Nokia.

And I also told people here when the info about the exclusivity came out that if they wanted the 920 then they were best to go to AT&T. It is up to each user if they wish to leave Verizon for the 920 or if they are okay with either waiting or getting a different device.

I have also said that we should not just discount the Odyssey based on some leaked images. We have seen smaller displays with high pixel counts and Samsung might surprise here. I have heard that the Odyssey is Verizon's own version of the ATIV S. I had not heard anything about form factor. But the screen dimensions indicate it is either 800x480 or 1280x768. If it is a 4" or so display that is 1280x768 with 2GB RAM, Snapdragon, microSD expansion, etc then it would be considered a premium device, not a midrange device. I have not been told what the specs will be because the device is mysterious even inside Verizon. They have not been shown it or briefed it on the corporate side. Usually when this happens it is because the device is premium and Verizon and the manufacturer are hiding features. But Verizon wants to take a direct shot at the iPhone, so this could be a similar sized form factor shot.

It is true, Verizon does not put a ton of stock in early adoption with phones. I understand that people here are. Most of us are WP7 users, so we've been with Windows Phone for awhile and we want to see it grow.

But do not confuse the lack of early adopter support with animosity or lack of care towards WP8. Verizon has taken a mass market approach to this.

I get that the tech guys will all love the higher ppi displays, but mass market will not care. I am also someone who does not care. But a month ago I also thought about switching to AT&T if only they had the 920. Then I liked the 8X (and not because it was VZW, but because of the audio end of things). But the 820 actually appealed to me most initially with two negatives - lack of Gorilla Glass and only 8GB. The 822 fixes that. I'm sure I will prefer the 820's design better, but I prefer the 16GB and GG even more. And I don't have to change carriers. I also prefer the 820's size to the 920's, which is too big for my tastes (and not for everyone else's, I know).

I understand people being disappointed that they don't have the 920, but it is not because of Verizon that this is the case. Nokia is the ultimate reason. They get their guaranteed sales, but the 920 will not be as much of a hit Stateside as it could have been if they had given it to Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T.

But watch the sales. The 810/820/822 will outsell the 920 and the 820 will likely outsell the 920 for AT&T too. The HTC will sell terribly on AT&T at $99 for only 8GB and $199 for 16GB. I've been hearing that HTC is not too happy and may withhold future product from AT&T due to them subsidizing the 920 and basically killing the 8X on AT&T.

Even so, Verizon having three WP8 devices before Christmas is not them turning their back on the platform. Quite the opposite.

And for all those who want the higher res screen, there are probably even more that prefer the expandable storage. That's where I am on that. Those that want the high end display and OIS, you have an option. The 920 is a great phone, but Verizon not having it is not the end of the world for Verizon or for WP8 on Verizon. I find the "Verizon hates WP8 because they don't carry the 920" stuff to be silly.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I dont think most people understand there is a difference between 1080p and BR. They just think BR is 1080p and so is my cable movie channel. Yes both are displayed at 1080p but that means very little in video quality. BR looks REAL, 1080p just looks better than 480p. It looks better because they did not scale up the 480p pixels to fill the screen, they did actually start with 1080p pixels but then they compress it to be able to stream via cable. Hence the reason a BR video is like 50gb yet most 1080p streams are like 5gb. Same movie, same resolution. Whats missing??? Lots...

It's a huge difference, even compared to HD television transmission. My FiOS can't match my BD. You see more artifacts in the more heavily compressed stuff. It still looks good, but it can't compete to how pristine a well mastered BD looks.

Optical discs might be going the way of the dodo, but I loved how they developed BD to have so many layers. Discs can be built up to over 100GB and the standard is capable of specing up to Cinema 4K.

Yet people's willingness to stick with DVD or go with downloads also furthers my argument that the bulk of the population just don't care about resolution. Tech geeks talk about their phone res, but most users do not. There comes a point where a display is "good enough". Price matters more. Storage matters more, especially if you want to have music and movies on your phone without having to hit the cloud on a metered connection to get them.

A minority of smart phone users at this point are early adopters or tech geeks. Windows Phone is actually built more for the average joe than for the tech geek anyways.

Verizon and AT&T are both looking to expand their customer base and their revenue base. Verizon wants to move people onto smartphones with data packages. They also want people using EVDO to move to LTE because it is cheaper for them long term. Their strategy is to not suck in the small slice of the pie that is the tech geek, but the huge slice of the pie that is business customers and the average joe. They will have some high end devices, but they are aiming mass market for Christmas.

Like it or not, the Lumia 82X series is a mass market device.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has never, in the history of mobile, EVER been an early adopter of advanced technology, including in the Windows Phone space.

Every single device it has ever sold, including the original "Droid," was a safe, boring and non-state-of-the-art device.

It is the "play-it-safe" carrier.

You go with Verizon to get a mediocre device with a sky-high pricing plan and coverage in the middle of nowhere. If you want a state-of-the-art device, it's still GSM or bust.

All of these devices for WP seem rather laughable (and this Samsung is even uglier than the 822 in white -- something I thought impossible up until now). But I have no doubt they'll be selling boatloads of them to the same people they sold LG EnV and LG Chocolate and Droid Whatever devices to... people whose "advanced applications" are e-mail and being able to make calls from rural areas with more deer than people.

It has always been that way, and it will always be that way.

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Based on the leaked Samsung Galaxy Axiom, looks like the Odyssey will be a 4" device. Looks like they're sharing hardware. Note placement of light sensors, front camera, earpiece similarity to the Odyssey leaks.

Twitter / evleaks: Samsung Galaxy Axiom (SCH-R830) ...

Assuming the i930 is the Odyssey, if you look through the FCC documentation the phone is listed as being 4.7" x 2.42" (119.5mm x 61.5mm) in size. It would be tough to fit a screen much larger than 4" in a phone this size. In fact assuming the images of the Odyssey posted are the i930 referenced in the FCC docs, you can simply zoom the image in your browser (or in Photoshop) to be 119mm x 61.5mm and you can measure the size of the screen to be 4"

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Wow, are people around here so lacking in real lives that a "leak" of a rendering should cause such consternation? It is not a photo of a device - it is just a rendering. I could take it and make it bright red with flame decals in Photoshop and it still wouldn't be an actual device. Perhaps people might want to wait until something is released before reacting as if a VZW or Samsung executive kicked your child or insulted your husband, wife, significant other....

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Assuming the i930 is the Odyssey, if you look through the FCC documentation the phone is listed as being 4.7" x 2.42" (119.5mm x 61.5mm) in size. It would be tough to fit a screen much larger than 4" in a phone this size. In fact assuming the images of the Odyssey posted are the i930 referenced in the FCC docs, you can simply zoom the image in your browser (or in Photoshop) to be 119mm x 61.5mm and you can measure the size of the screen to be 4"

That's a big assumption.

I'm pretty sure its the Marco, one of the two phones we know about due to the court documents from the Apple trial. The Marco is a low-end WP8 device that is 4". The Odyssey is a high end device that is 4.65" with an AMOLED HD display. This stuff is in documents given to the court and is consistent with what I've been told.

Both should be available in mid-December, likely December 13.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has never, in the history of mobile, EVER been an early adopter of advanced technology, including in the Windows Phone space.

Every single device it has ever sold, including the original "Droid," was a safe, boring and non-state-of-the-art device.

It is the "play-it-safe" carrier.

You go with Verizon to get a mediocre device with a sky-high pricing plan and coverage in the middle of nowhere. If you want a state-of-the-art device, it's still GSM or bust.

All of these devices for WP seem rather laughable (and this Samsung is even uglier than the 822 in white -- something I thought impossible up until now). But I have no doubt they'll be selling boatloads of them to the same people they sold LG EnV and LG Chocolate and Droid Whatever devices to... people whose "advanced applications" are e-mail and being able to make calls from rural areas with more deer than people.

It has always been that way, and it will always be that way.
I think the 822 looks great personally. Also, the 822 is capable of doing everything any other wp on the market can do. Fail to see your logic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb