Nokia to do "Exciting things with Verizon" says Stephen Elop

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
This information seems to make some sense. My only question is this, why? If vzw really wants to ditch apple, are they moving their point of sale terminals to ipads?
VZW loves the iPad but hates the iPhone. iPads are full retail so they are a huge win because they're good products and there's no subsidy and people buy the **** out of them.

iPhone is a completely different story. Verizon pays on average $659 per iPhone, has to offer the phones at the price Apple says, and the two best selling iPhone models (the 4 and 4S) are not LTE. LTE phones save the company about $7 a month, which is why reps receive a $25 SPIFF for selling 4G devices.

VZW recently took away all iPhone concession devices because they don't want reps backing the iPhone. One of my good friend's sister is a store manager and she had her iPhone 4S taken and replaced by an 822. They want WP8 to succeed 100%. There's also talk of VZW writing apps to help bring over big name apps to WP8. BB10 should see the same kind of support.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
This information seems to make some sense. My only question is this, why? If vzw really wants to ditch apple, are they moving their point of sale terminals to ipads?

They want to ditch Apple in regards to the iPhone. I suspect we will see many POS systems move to tablets, though I think we may see them end up running Windows 8 down the road as Clover Trail continues to mature. There is a strong argument to be made that Windows devices are more secure and I suspect that the prices will end up being lower for a business than Apple.

Most of the reason why the iPad for POS right now is because it is the most developed at the moment. But there are severe limitations to those systems. Once again, I think 8 or RT will end up being a stronger solution down the line because of the kernel itself and other features. Imagine integration of Live Tiles into a POS system for real time information.

The iPad is the most well developed tablet of the moment, but it has peaked. That's the danger in arriving first. Android will prove more versatile and Windows will prove more secure and likely have more capability deeper in.

The problem with the iPhone is the amount of shared revenue that takes subscription money away from the carriers. Apple has been able to make a lot of demands in regards to the iPhone in the past. As its market share declines and its reputation also sinks, Apple will cease to be in a strong bargaining position. Verizon will keep it IF Apple is treated like any other phone maker. That also means that Verizon gets to negotiate what they pay for the phone, not be dictated to. Apple has been in a strong position for the past few years, but I suspect the carriers will get bolder.

In short, expect Apple to have to cut their sell through prices to the carriers if they expect to have them keep the iPhone. I'd guess that means carriers will pay $100 less per phone. That's over $2 Billion less per quarter in revenue to Apple, meaning Apple will lose over 5% of their revenue and most of it will come out of their profits.

If the carriers put their foot down, Apple's profits will decline by 15-20%. Apple gets $2 Billion per quarter from the carriers and it is all pretty much pure profit. Once the shine comes off Apple, they will have a rough go. As their profits fall, their stock will plummet and heads will roll.

The problem is that this is how it will be because of how they have structured their business. Their massive profits have come from bullying other companies and their own customers. They inflate prices and have done a great job of making people believe their products are better. But their lack of LTE in all but the iPhone 5 and how crummy the iPhone 4 and 4S are compared to cheap or free Android and WP8 devices will hurt their image long term. It won't happen over night, but we're seeing the first stages as investors begin to bail little by little.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Verizon has a HUGE influence here in the states. If they want something to happen in the wireless market, it will happen. It's been known for a while that Apple bullies the carriers, it seems from the stories I see posted here that there are a lot of Verizon execs that do not like to be pushed around by Apple. Verizon has investors and can't make stupid rash decisions, but I suspect that they are actively trying to replace the iphone revenue stream so they can get better terms from Apple. The recent China Mobile deal with Nokia is an example too, it seems like China Mobile didn't want to bend to Apple and made a deal with Nokia instead.

Apple is like Coke right now, the carrier will lose customers if they don't stock it, and the manufacturer will lose customers if the carrier doesn't stock it.

One thing I've always noticed about Microsoft is that they generally make sure they play nice with others and that their partners can succeed. Apple just wants to take it all for themselves, which works only under perfect conditions.

Twice Born

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Really been enjoying reading this thread. I find all of this quite interesting regarding the carriers trying to get away from the influence of Apple. I've always felt that's probably the relationship that the carriers have with Apple. Anyway, I hope WP8 and BB10 both succeed because we need more competition. I just wish I could have convinced my wife to even look at a WP... alas she wanted an iPhone. She and her family have been mac users since the 80's, so she wasn't going to change now. :p

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Apple is at a critical juncture, it just doesn't look like it right now.

I actually agree that Apple is in a vulnerable spot right now even if most people don't realize it. The reasons I think this is the case are 1) Windows 8 and touchscreen laptops & convertible tablets/laptops and 2) Google Chromebooks (and the order of importance of those two items arguably could be reversed). Admittedly I'm biased because I've been strongly looking at both the ASUS VivoBook X202E (a $500 touchscreen, 11.6" laptop) and the Samsung Chromebook XE303 (series 3 chromebook for $250); I think both of these devices are great and open up new avenues in computer technology. I think Windows 8 will revolutionize the laptop sector; within 2 years I think just about all laptops will have touchscreens, once the general public starts fully grasping the positives of Windows 8. That will take some time, but if the trendsetter consumers like Windows 8 (which from what I've read a majority of them do), Apple's decision to not go with a touchscreen-friendly UI on its laptops will hurt them. The Windows 8 live tiles and gesture-based interface will also open up a new paradigm for what an operating system should feature, and I think the live tiles will in time make the non-gesture, static icon UI look old-fashioned.

With the chromebooks, part of the reason I think tablets are popular is they provide a relatively portable and inexpensive means to access the internet. Apps are important, but it's the internet access at a low cost that's the key. (Exhibit A: the strong sales for the Kindle HD and Nexus 7, both priced at $200.) However, tablets' primary weakness is the lack of a physical keyboard. Chromebooks provide that internet access (in a way that's even faster that tablets) and provide a physical keyboard all in a low cost package. Additionally, if you feel comfortable having much of your information in the cloud, Chromebooks can provide a viable alternative to traditional desktop programs offered by Microsoft and Apple.

I think in the coming years Apple will remain strong in smartphone sales but will significantly fall off in tablet sales, which in turn will gradually erode their smartphone sales.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually agree that Apple is in a vulnerable spot right now even if most people don't realize it. The reasons I think this is the case are 1) Windows 8 and touchscreen laptops & convertible tablets/laptops and 2) Google Chromebooks (and the order of importance of those two items arguably could be reversed). Admittedly I'm biased because I've been strongly looking at both the ASUS VivoBook X202E (a $500 touchscreen, 11.6" laptop) and the Samsung Chromebook XE303 (series 3 chromebook for $250); I think both of these devices are great and open up new avenues in computer technology. I think Windows 8 will revolutionize the laptop sector; within 2 years I think just about all laptops will have touchscreens, once the general public starts fully grasping the positives of Windows 8. That will take some time, but if the trendsetter consumers like Windows 8 (which from what I've read a majority of them do), Apple's decision to not go with a touchscreen-friendly UI on its laptops will hurt them. The Windows 8 live tiles and gesture-based interface will also open up a new paradigm for what an operating system should feature, and I think the live tiles will in time make the non-gesture, static icon UI look old-fashioned.

With the chromebooks, part of the reason I think tablets are popular is they provide a relatively portable and inexpensive means to access the internet. Apps are important, but it's the internet access at a low cost that's the key. (Exhibit A: the strong sales for the Kindle HD and Nexus 7, both priced at $200.) However, tablets' primary weakness is the lack of a physical keyboard. Chromebooks provide that internet access (in a way that's even faster that tablets) and provide a physical keyboard all in a low cost package. Additionally, if you feel comfortable having much of your information in the cloud, Chromebooks can provide a viable alternative to traditional desktop programs offered by Microsoft and Apple.

I think in the coming years Apple will remain strong in smartphone sales but will significantly fall off in tablet sales, which in turn will gradually erode their smartphone sales.

Chromebooks are a dark horse here. I have heard them being used as thin clients with the Citrix receiver, essentially disposable laptops for contractors. The price is extremely compelling, but at the moment the limitations outweigh the cost benefit; but I am not a target customer for a chromebook. The challenge to Windows phone is the further strength of Google if these succeed, which is bad for Microsoft and Windows phone, the chromebook is the missing piece of the Google ecosystem.

Anyway, yeah, hopefully we'll see that Lumia at MWC, but if you are listening Nokia, I don't want to hear about it until it's ready to go on the shelves.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, Google's Chromebook concept is definitely a threat to both Microsoft and Apple, though it is a little unclear to me which company is threatened more by them. Microsoft probably is, but I think Windows 8 mitigates against the chromebooks' possible impact and potentially shifts the vulnerability over more to Apple, especially considering chromebooks are essentially second (non-smartphone) devices and compete on cost, an area where Apple is perpetually vulnerable (as was noted in the iPhone 5 adoption discussion within this thread). Tablets are much more firmly within that same, second device niche than laptops are (excluding lower-end netbooks).

Getting back to Windows 8 on larger-screen devices, I firmly believe that Windows 8 will be a significant success, albeit one that takes some time to take hold, and the similarity between Windows 8 on large screen devices and Windows Phone 8 on pocket-sized devices will ultimately only benefit the latter. The key will be for developers to create applications on WP 8 that take advantage of the live tile capabilities (i.e. display useful, real-time information in the tile).

P.S. Incidentally, I'm not entirely sure that if chromebooks are successful in terms of gaining user adoption that will have a direct, negative impact on Windows Phone adoption. I view Android and Chrome as being two separate paths Google is pursuing. Android's lag issues and possible susceptibility to malware runs counter to the benefits of chromebooks, and though some people would like Google to incorporate Android into chromebooks, I think that would be a big mistake, at least until (if?) the issues with Android get resolved.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Having had the Trophy I actually found it to be easier to use than my prior iOS and Android devices, that said I opted to get an Android phone again due to Verizon's lack of a compelling WP8 device on the high end from Nokia. I don't think asking for 32GB and microSD is too much to ask for or nice 720p or 1080p screen. Size wise, I would be happy with 4.7" display I have the GN2 now on Verizon and there are days I wish it was the size of the GS3 but other days I prefer the size when reading emails and web pages. Still IF we see a high end device from Nokia like the rumored 1022/922 variant by spring time I could be motivated towards it.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I love my 8X... But I'm really drawn to the Lumia's form factor, Nokia's exclusive apps... And apparently their customer support is awesome.

The 1022/922 variant heading to Verizon is my phone of choice... I just need more info like, yesterday!

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If Easter time is a good indicator, then I have an upgrade available then and I would be willing to wait, in the meantime I could pick up a Nokia 822 relatively cheaply on eBay, thoughts on that?

zekerrific

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

It looks like Verizon is switching things up a bit with the Surface in their stores as well. Of course it would be kind of weird to use an iPad to get info about Windows Phone, but maybe it's a small indication that Verizon is more than happy to switch from the iPad once the Surface ecosystem is more developed. I guess we'll see with time.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So at MWC we should hear something but don't expect it until Easter or are you saying 2 months after Easter? I certainly hope its sooner rather than later the 8x is certainly not helping their sales.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So at MWC we should hear something but don't expect it until Easter or are you saying 2 months after Easter? I certainly hope its sooner rather than later the 8x is certainly not helping their sales.

Someone with inside knowlege at Verizon has already stated somewhere that some time around Easter is the time to watch.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got one line coming up in a couple weeks, and that's going to be reserved for the next Lumia. :excited:

Does anyone else think these are about the goofiest smilies on the net? ;)

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I've got one line coming up in a couple weeks, and that's going to be reserved for the next Lumia. :excited:

Does anyone else think these are about the goofiest smilies on the net? ;)

still no news on your end of the pending flagship Lumia for Verizon? Obviously you're confident they're coming if you're holding out on your upgrade.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No worries. I don't mind being mistaken for someone so helpful. ;-)

As far as upgrade, I already upgraded to an 822, and when a flagship hits Verizon, I'll be giving this one to my lovely and very understanding wife, so I can get the flagship. ;-D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99