From Tom Warren on Twitter (VZW Lumia)

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I seems they go for short term gain over longevity to stop the bleeding. In reality it just puts band aid on the wound which gets infected later......

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon shifted focus to BB10 after this next run of WPs. They've gotta be pissed that AT&T keeps on getting the flagship Nokias. Nokia needs to get it together and make availability similar to the 8X. There is a report that Nokia will have a low, mid, and high end WP on all three carriers thought. Hopefully the EOS will be on all of them

With due respect, AT&T also doesn't put the kibosh on OS features

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon shifted focus to BB10 after this next run of WPs. They've gotta be pissed that AT&T keeps on getting the flagship Nokias. Nokia needs to get it together and make availability similar to the 8X. There is a report that Nokia will have a low, mid, and high end WP on all three carriers thought. Hopefully the EOS will be on all of them

I think Verizon should exercise a little patience. After all, it wasn't so long ago that Verizon only offered one Windows Phone 7 device over a couple of years that AT&T offered many, and that device (HTC Trophy) was far from "flagship." In other words, AT&T has been a better partner for Windows Phone 7 from the start, so Verizon probably has a bit of catching up to do in that relationship.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
@Honestabebread - I am a little confused. The original tweet was about a high-end Lumia coming soon on Verizon. Is this now unlikely?

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
@Honestabebread - I am a little confused. The original tweet was about a high-end Lumia coming soon on Verizon. Is this now unlikely?

No, its still likely I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon quit supporting Nokia because they keep giving AT&T exclusivity. I'm not saying VZW would be against WP8, just saying that they would be against Nokia.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess I could understand that perspective IF VZW weren't about to get (a likely exclusive) high-end Lumia. I would agree however (about them quitting supporting Nokia) if it's just the same 920 but just six months after the AT&T release. I really don't see this being the case though. As stated before, I think Nokia will alternate flagships on the two big carriers, with the major international release devices on AT&T.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
No, its still likely I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon quit supporting Nokia because they keep giving AT&T exclusivity. I'm not saying VZW would be against WP8, just saying that they would be against Nokia.

The only problem is that if Verizon truly wants to support Windows Phone, there is no equivalent to Nokia in quality. HTC comes the closest, but they are still not really in the same league.

I can understand Verizon wanting exclusivity, if that is the case then why not ask Nokia what it would take to gain exclusivity over AT&T? Or, at least what it would take to have no exclusivity on either carrier. If Nokia is getting a much better deal with AT&T, then essentially Verizon would be attempting to strongarm Nokia into taking a worse deal no?

Anyway, I don't like exclusivity deals and I hope neither Nokia nor Verizon/AT&T pursue them in the future. This past quarter, it was pretty clear Nokia didn't have the supply/capacity for Verizon regardless of the AT&T, though.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Why is it always Nokia's fault on the exclusivity? Certainly Verizon is big enough that they can make a competitive offer to get an exclusive. It's been said that Verizon thinks it's all about their network and will not make deals. If they really are pissed about it, then do something, quit expecting the world to give it to you because you are Verizon.

Don't get me wrong. I would rather see all phones on all carriers. Just don't see how Verizon escapes blame in this.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, I don't like exclusivity deals and I hope neither Nokia nor Verizon/AT&T pursue them in the future.

I agree with your post, but want to add that in general, U.S. carriers are the ones looking for exclusivity deals, not Nokia or any other OEM. Hence, such problems aren't going away anytime soon.

Most other countries have never seen carrier exclusive devices. That is at least a strong indicator that it isn't the OEM's. Nokia sells the 920 in many countries...only in two of them are they restricted to certain carriers.

With the 920, this likely also worked out to Nokia's benefit (supply issues and higher subsidies from AT&T they wouldn't otherwise have gotten), but that isn't always the case.

The only reason Apple and Samsung don't have any such problems with carriers is because they have such a grip on the market. Carriers need iPhones and S3s to compete, so carriers can't really afford to refuse their manufacturers subsidization requirements, even if the carriers would typically only offer that level of subsidization to exclusive phones.

This is exactly why carriers are looking to establish a third option beyond Apple and Samsung, although most would prefer RIM over MS (MS owning Skype scares them silly). Carriers want to be at Apple's and Samsung's mercy no longer. They want a say in the devices coming to their network, or the economic freedom to tell them to shove it.

Nokia will offer one high end device across all carriers, but it will cost closer to $200 due to not receiving those subsidies carriers reserve for exclusives.

Last edited:

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you right now that VZW almost never does a heavy subsidy. I mean the Razr Maxx was Verizon's #1 seller for a quarter and it was $300.

Anyway, Tuesday I have a very large conference where we normally talk about upcoming devices and our product strategy for the year. At last year's we learned about the LG Lucid and Intuition, the HTC DNA and Incredible 4G, and the Note 2 in January. I'm hoping they'll spill some beans on upcoming Windows Phones this year since VZW seems genuinely interested in WP8.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the Lumia 822 and loved it...but there was a lot of things that I felt were not finished in the OS...if there is something similar to the 920 coming to Verizon, I may have to dump my Galaxy Note 2 for it.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the Lumia 822 and loved it...but there was a lot of things that I felt were not finished in the OS...if there is something similar to the 920 coming to Verizon, I may have to dump my Galaxy Note 2 for it.

You realize that the 920 and 822 have the same core OS features and use the same OS right?

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You realize that the 920 and 822 have the same core OS features and use the same OS right?

Of course I do. Now I have a tablet to make up for the lacking of the Windows Phone OS. I liked the 920, the 822 was too small because I had bad eyesight. I also bought an ipod touch for podcasts and music.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Of course I do. Now I have a tablet to make up for the lacking of the Windows Phone OS. I liked the 920, the 822 was too small because I had bad eyesight. I also bought an ipod touch for podcasts and music.

Not trying to offend but I'm not sure if .2" is even a noticeable difference. Its tough to tell that the DNAs screen is .2" bigger than the S3s.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking...Does anyone remember the red polycarbonate shell that was leaked a while ago from the unreliable source? Remember the huge opening where we think the camera sensor should be? Does anything think that is the Nokia Laser? All we could tell from the image was that it was a solid single piece of polycarbonate that resembled a Lumia 920 but is supposedly thinner. I only think this was possibly the shell for the Laser because the EOS is supposed to be an all metal frame.
Tom Warren also said we would be very very happy with what we got, but I don't think any of us would be "really happy" over a slightly thinner 920. I'm sure we would be happy just not really happy.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
All they said is we are going to continue our support of WP8. No new devices.

However. I got to play with the BlackBerry Z10 and it is ****ing amazing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05