Why no modular designed phones? Why monolithic making them so hard to fix.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Why are so many phones monolithic?
It makes them near impossible to fix without leaving traces.
Why a need for holes all over the place... or for rear removable covers.

I think I have a much better design.

Would it not be smarter to use a modular design.
a) Casing with a spring lock and two push up springs at the bottom and a hole for the microUSB connector on the top left side. It also contains the power, volume and camera buttons and a hole on the top for the headphone connector.
b) Screen which is on a little frame with top hinges and that includes the microSIM and microSD connectors at the bottom and also two clips which also serve as hooks for the spring lock in the casing.
c) The SOC and microUSB module which also includes the headphones connector as well as the other internal connectors.
d) Battery.

You take the casing, insert the "SOC and microUSB" module at the top (clips in) and you connect it to the casing connector for the buttons. Power is fed sideways like on ie. HTC OneX...
Next you place the battery into the casing and connect it to the SOC module. Retention by friction. A little adhesive foam padding on the battery keeps it from rattling against the screen.
Then you connect the screen frame module to the SOC and connect the top hinge in the top of the casing (clips in, but you must squeeze the hinges together). It opens like a regular simple car trunk system or car door.
Then you lower it until the bottom touches a couple of leaf springs which pop it open. Little extra push and two clips keep if from opening more than necessary. (In this position you can insert the SIM and SD)
Push it down closed, where the hooks on the lower clips snap into a spring lock which can be opened by pushing the lock sideways with a tool like the sim tray opener.

Such a design is much easier to fix or refurbish. No screws, all clipped together.
It is also ideal for larger phones above 4 inches display size.
If the screen breaks, you replace that module, takes 10 minutes. If the SOC is dead, just replace the SOC. Same applies for battery or casing. This way one can make a phone that is mighty quick to assemble and that is also very easy to fix.

Also there are no unnecessary openings. In fact you only see the microUSB and the headphone connector at the top. There is no visible sim tray, just a hole to push open the spring locked system which pops up the bottom of the screen just enough to access the sim and sd cards.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It is cheaper to integrate everything into one body. I'd argue more durable. The fewer moving parts there are the smaller the chance there is of QA issues. Personally I love my monolithic Nokia L810. Also most people like a phone that is already assembled. Your idea sounds almost like I'd have to build my phone. Ultimately the idea sounds complex, and hardly simple. If it breaks I'll let Nokia deal with it via the warranty process.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Moving parts break. Less moving parts, less issues, less money to assemble, and if I drop my phone I don't want to pic up pieces. You have to think about assembling process. More parts and pieces=more cost. Everything is throw away for a reason. Its cheap to build.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I did electronic repair for several years, and have always been the type to tear stuff open and get out the multimeter and soldering iron when my electronics broke, but DIY smartphone upgrading and repair is very unlikely to come anytime soon. It is cheap to build these things as a sealed unit, and carriers would be wary to certify devices that can be modified or changed.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos