The only thing I know about my next phone

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's the one thing I know about my next phone: It must, and I mean must, have a removable back cover with access to the battery. I love Windows Phone and it is the smoothest most problem free OS next to iOS but every once in a while(about once or twice a year in my case) the OS will freeze your phone. This has happened with my HTC Titan, Nokia Lumia 920, and my newly purchased Nokia Lumia 1020. This is not a fun experience at all. The phone becomes unresponsive and amazingly goes into some kind of super battery saving mode in which the battery inexplicably lasts for hours before it dies.(as opposed to the battery constantly draining while in use even with the screen cut off) The one thing I loved about the HTC Titan though is that I could easily take the back cover off and remove the battery skipping the whole waiting process. I believe even the latest, most high tech phone regardless of OS has problems from time to time for any number of reasons. And that's one credit I have to give to Samsung. They give their users everything they want in a phone with slightly less premium designs(and for the record, their phones are very nice in the hand in my opinion) in hardware. Everything else is there though. Great camera. SD expansion. Powerful processors. Removable battery. Excellent battery life. Powerful, crisp speakers. As much as I love my Lumia 1020, my next flagship Windows Phone will have to have those same qualities and Nokia has delivered on all except excellent battery life(not counting the 1520) and removable battery(not counting the lower end devices).

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
As long as they sell an unlocked variant that will work on TMO (like the 1320 RM-995 or the 1520.3 variant) I am probably going to be in line to get this device as well. Fingers crossed.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a need to pull the battery on a phone I own in over 5 years. But it would be nice to swap in fully charged battery though..

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a need to pull the battery on a phone I own in over 5 years. But it would be nice to swap in fully charged battery though..
Wow that's great. Like I said, it's not something that happened often but something that did happen and frustratingly enough with two phones without the capability to remove the battery. My 920 was stuck for over 5 hours one time before it died.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem once with my 720 when it was fully charged. Had to wait for at least 2.5 days for the battery to dicharge completely. Soft reset didn't work then.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
This has happened to me on a 900, a 920 and a 1020. Totally stops working. I was able to recover every time by doing the force reset combination power+downvol for about 10 seconds. Sometimes it wouldn't work the first time so I'd plug it in and try it again. Are you guys saying even power+downvol doesn't reboot it?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This has happened to me only once or twice in 3 years using Windows Phones. Holding down the power and volume down buttons did the trick though... never had to drain the battery.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's about the only advantage to having a removable battery I can see. To avoid the freezeups, the waits for reboots and the possible button combo resets that may or may not work. Just pop it out, and bam its reset lol.

Swapping in a battery to get 'exra life' became moot when those USB powerbanks became available.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
. I was able to recover every time by doing the force reset combination power+downvol for about 10 seconds. Sometimes it wouldn't work the first time so I'd plug it in and try it again. Are you guys saying even power+downvol doesn't reboot it?
Actually I didn't try this method to reboot the phone when this happened. The last time I used that was before they had the progress bar during updates and phones got stuck on the turning cog wheels. My 920 was stuck for half a day when I searched the forums for a fix and found the power+volume down trick. Come to think of it I guess I just completely forgot about it now. I doubt it will happen any time within the year but if it does, I'll remember to try that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)