Rumored Cancelled Lumia 960 - Looks like a Surface Team Design

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-alleged-cancelled-lumia-960-shows-leaked-images/

This one looks like it has the branding and design of the Surface team. Not sure what, if any, features it had that would have set it apart from the Lumia 950. But the metallic design and the logo look very Surface-esque to me.

Daniel had mentioned in a podcast that the Surface team had a chance to bring a phone to market. But they decided it was too little too late. We'll see if all the new efforts with Windows on Arm will lead to something better making it out to market eventually.

Updated: Here's the Windows Central take on it. https://www.windowscentral.com/photos-microsofts-canceled-lumia-960-flagship-leak

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It does kinda look that way, except for the color. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but does it look like a rose gold color to you? I've always expected the Surface line to maintain that neutral color scheme they have going on. However, if the original plan for the 950s was to have Surface pen capabilities, it makes sense to think that the 960s would have much more closely aligned to the Surface brand. Would have been nice to see.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It does kinda look that way, except for the color. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but does it look like a rose gold color to you? I've always expected the Surface line to maintain that neutral color scheme they have going on. However, if the original plan for the 950s was to have Surface pen capabilities, it makes sense to think that the 960s would have much more closely aligned to the Surface brand. Would have been nice to see.

I think it's the lighting. If you look at the top right, I think you can get a better idea of the coloring of the device. They describe it at as aluminum - but it could very well have been magnesium like the rest of the Surface line.

Regarding a neutral color scheme - I think the Surface team is moving away from that with the Surface Laptop color varieties.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Does anyone knows which is this model from video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzEXoWJZypk

And the source or any link to the video, because I couldn't find any news.

The orange one in his hands at the beginning is either a Lumia 1320 or a 640 XL.

The device shown later is a handset running some variation of Windows Mobile that is actually intended for retail stuff: Point of Sale, inventory management, etc...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
People from the blog were saying that it looked like an HTC, but I think it just looks like a metallic Lumia.

It's hard to really get a good idea of what a device looks at based on just the back of it. People who are saying it looks like an iPhone or an HTC are just getting one angle of it and making an assumption based on what they've seen in the past.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I think it looks alright, but at the same time it was an unfinished prototype. So unfinished that it didn't actually have all the pieces haha. I'm not sure how I would've felt about just "another aluminum phone." Microsoft has done some seriously amazing things with magnesium so I could see that being really interesting, but I'm also kind of interested in another premium polycarbonate device. We haven't seen one in a long time. We all know it's possible to make a beautiful, durable, and premium feeling phone out of polycarbonate, but companies have given up on the concept.

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I think this is better off cancelled. They REALLY need to create a new category to shine. This plain old phone form factor wont open people's eyes to see Microsoft's true innovation capabilities.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb