New Lumia Phone in 2017/2018 to bridge gap until Surface Phone?

DrChucky

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey fellow WC forum readers,

I came across this article today:

https://winbuzzer.com/2017/03/09/mi...phones-2017-surface-phone-coming-2019-xcxwbn/

I understand that this maybe just unfounded rumor, although the concept would be a good strategy to bridge the gap until WoA is ready for the mythical Surface Phone.

Has anyone else come across information suggesting that another Microsoft Phone might be released prior to the Surface Phone?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yeah that makes sense to me.

I mean it could be Andromeda that drops this year. Because there was whispers of a new phone, with a new OS, and that fits that bill, as its not going to run win10m, but its own Andromeda OS (because its not a slab).

But assuming MSFT wants to move the OS to 64 bit, which would be very pragmatic, and assuming HP wants to release its own 64 bit x3 refresh, then MSFT would want something else on the market, other than just one HP, in order to keep working on the OS, and have customers to use for insiders and feedback.

Yeah, I could see them releasing one or two more lumias, given the absence of real action from OEMs.

DrChucky

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Interesting points. It would be great to see them release a 64 bit Lumia along with HP in the interim. This would also be consistent with Nadella said about making phones if other OEM's would not. Time will tell all!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That report is coming from March 2017 (from the German site). I read that a couple months back and shared similarly in the thread sticky for the Surface phone. I wonder if it will actually happen though.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
If something was coming out this year, you'd think we would have heard some more substantiated news by now. I have my doubts.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Interesting points. It would be great to see them release a 64 bit Lumia along with HP in the interim. This would also be consistent with Nadella said about making phones if other OEM's would not. Time will tell all!

I've seen similar types of "insider tips" about the "Andromeda device", coming probably later (like 2018+). It makes me wonder if these "widespread insider rumours" might have some substance.

I doubt the Chinese one, with the projector. It might be a proto perhaps. But these two (new form factor device with new OS, clamshell or similar, and Lumia in the meantime to fill the gap), they seem plausible.

I don't know exactly whats true, but it feels like _something_ is cooking (not the damned 'surface phone running windows ion arm with cheese on top'!)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Lumia has been buried, if somebody was going to deliver another Windows Phone then I'd expect HP to do it but I wouldn't bet on it. Any Windows Phone launching in this climate would have the estimated support lifetime rivaling the Lumia 505.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte