I hope my 920 can handle Windows Phone Update 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I do not remember very well what happened with the 900, because I didn't own one, but if Microsoft stops supporting it's flagship only one year and a half after the release.... Than I think that I will wait until my 920 goes obsolete enough, and I will never buy a flagship anymore from them. Let's hope it wont be true.

Most WP users at that time knew that WP8 was coming in the fall and knew that the 900 was a great upgrade for their current device but that the real good devices were coming in the fall and that 7.5 phones might not be upgradeable to WP8. It was a somewhat unique situation and shouldn't be extrapolated to the present situation OP describes.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Everything has a cut of point (otherwise technology would never progress), there will come a time when quad core phones with QHD are the norm and dual core won't cut the mustard and I'd be surprised if the cut off is early as GDR1. Given how the L1020 was EOLed after not even being in the market for a year (it was launched in the UK in September 2013), you never know...

My 920 has also served me well and still is going strong, which is why I won't be upgrading until there is a proper flagship with top end of specs that I can hold onto for 2 to 3 years (it is not feasible to drop ?400 to ?500 on a phone every 6 to 9 months). However my gut tells me we wont see anything interesting until next year and come November we may see rehashes.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Don't know why the OP would have such doubts.

I'm 100% sure that your Lumia 920 can handle the WP8.1 Update 1. Just think of it this way... If your 920 was able to handle the 8.1 Update which is, by all means, a bigger update than the Update 1, then you should expect that your 920 will have no problems handling the 8.1 Update 1. 😊

What makes me worried though is the WP9... I'm not sure if we can still update our current phones to that version when the time comes

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My 920 has also served me well and still is going strong, which is why I won't be upgrading until there is a proper flagship with top end of specs that I can hold onto for 2 to 3 years (it is not feasible to drop ?400 to ?500 on a phone every 6 to 9 months). However my gut tells me we wont see anything interesting until next year and come November we may see rehashes.

I completely agree. It's hard to justify getting a new phone when the L920 keeps chugging away in fine form. Every additional month I enjoy my 920 is just money in the bank.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hm..................you Jazmac you of al people................losing faith???
Okay your phone is a bit overaged, it's almost becoming pratical useles.
So i make you a offer of a lifetime.
I have a few Droids lying arround who are even younger than that antique piece of junk you calling a phone.
Okay i even throw in my 520.
I would swap al that electronic for your 920 anytime.

Your phone outlived 8.0 and all the gdr's and now running 8.1 ( i guess ) so why lose hope now?
I know many who have phones who never see any update ore mayby a few.

WP will evolve, it must, but in order to do that, the hardware must evolve with it.
The 920 is almost two years old ( i believe november 2012 ),
hell in that time i was not even thinking about leaving Droid.
But i don't see any problems why it should not run on 8.1x
It works great under the 8.1 DP so?

There whas a guy here on this forum who once said that you must buy a phone as it is.
And not look at future expectations.
I think two years is quite nice for a phone, aspecialy how the operating systems evolves.
So the day will surtenly come that your phone ( and mine ) cant keep it up anymore.
But not today.
I think that the present generation will outlive wp8.1x
WP9 is a completely different story, but thats tommorow and we live today.

Feeling better now ;-)

LOL. Just one of those moments Sarge.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry about it. The Update 1 would be improvements over Windows 8.1 so expect a better experience with the update 1. You can bet on that! Windows Phone 9 though, that's where we need to worry!

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah my 925 is just fine too (could do with a bit more storage though) Hopefully WP 9/Threshold wont be another WP7 to 8 fiasco.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
If your 920 can't handle it then MS won't release it for your phone. The mere fact that they will release it to all WP8.1 phones means it'll work just fine. No need to worry.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
oh cmon guys, wp7 was a completely different OS in the inside, it wasn't possible to run the beastly wp8 on those wp7 devices, but now is a different story, current devices laugh at the os requirements, you can expect wp8 devices to handle everything at least until wp9, and im not sure about the next major os version until now I don't see anything that would be "too much" for current lumias, but I think wp9 most likely would be able to run on 1gb high end devices like the 920 at the very least, just look at ios7 running on 4 years old hardware(iPhone 4)

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow, you know this for a fact?
And being able to handle the os and actually getting the update are two different things. Didn't Microsoft say each device will be eligible for 2 years worth of updates? Come WP9 I wouldn't be surprised if the x20's (920/5 720 etc) no longer get the updates due to them being 'old' devices.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The more I read about this update, the more I get wobbly knees about my current WP. Lumia 920. This update is going to be nothing short of massive and I feel just like I did when I was on my 900 and the talk began about how it would not be upgradable. I remember how much I despised Paul Thurrott since he was the blogger who broke the story. I didn't want to believe it, but it was reality. Next the barrage of "shortcomings" the 900 had and how it simply was not possible to go any further. All I could think about was that Youtube about how the beta test was over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elqLDSt36k.

And how much of a fool I felt knowing it was actually Microsoft doing the beta testing with the Kin's younger brother, the Lumia 900. I almost left the platform. Fast forward to today, and here we go again. What new must have feature won't my Lumia 920 not be able to do when I get it and when will Paul Thurott get around to telling me Cyan is as good as it gets. Maybe I'll be crazy wrong but its pins and needles time. I'm going to temper my enthusiasm until it is revealed. This flagship has served me well and this update will tell me retirement is the humane move for my 920.
Do not worry about losing support for your Lumia 920. The reason the previous Lumia generation was abandoned was because there are limitations of single core processors and Windowd Phone 8 was a massive overhaul.

As far as small updates go, such as GDR1 or above go, rest assured your device will be updated.

But I can't say the same for Windows Phone 9 which could possibly be only compatible with the latest generation devices.

But Microsoft wants to establish the same kind of support it gives to PCs so maybe they will try to keep updating all devices as fast as possible to avert another disaster like the WP8 one was.

Rest assured however, you will get updated for a looong time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Well JazMac.................
You can put your phone to the test right now.
Its rolling out at this verry moment.

So if your phone can survive this update, come over here and we drink a cool beer over it.
And if it don't, a wel the offer stil stands. ;-)

Chris Wayne2

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm on school right now, will test it better in about an hour or so but for now it feels very responsive, heck it feels a bit better than the previous software.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I see nothing about Update 1 that would cause any issues for the L920.

I updated my L1520 and it's running fine. I haven't updated the L920 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb