I hope my 920 can handle Windows Phone Update 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The more I read about this update, the more I get wobbly knees about my current WP. Lumia 920. This update is going to be nothing short of massive and I feel just like I did when I was on my 900 and the talk began about how it would not be upgradable. I remember how much I despised Paul Thurrott since he was the blogger who broke the story. I didn't want to believe it, but it was reality. Next the barrage of "shortcomings" the 900 had and how it simply was not possible to go any further. All I could think about was that Youtube about how the beta test was over.

And how much of a fool I felt knowing it was actually Microsoft doing the beta testing with the Kin's younger brother, the Lumia 900. I almost left the platform. Fast forward to today, and here we go again. What new must have feature won't my Lumia 920 not be able to do when I get it and when will Paul Thurott get around to telling me Cyan is as good as it gets. Maybe I'll be crazy wrong but its pins and needles time. I'm going to temper my enthusiasm until it is revealed. This flagship has served me well and this update will tell me retirement is the humane move for my 920.

gm08

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I do not remember very well what happened with the 900, because I didn't own one, but if Microsoft stops supporting it's flagship only one year and a half after the release.... Than I think that I will wait until my 920 goes obsolete enough, and I will never buy a flagship anymore from them. Let's hope it wont be true.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
please see what windows phone 7 minimum requirement, 256MB RAM, it used to be very low end production, and most of the phone screen size are less than 4", now they have changed, they focus from low end to high tech production. from 520 to 1520, 520 is the cheapest phone with availability to install windows phone 8.1, if 920 cant support windows phone 8.1 GDR 1, then from 520 to 1020 will did not get the update, it will make their customer upset, or even mad at them, and stop purchasing their product.

also windows phone 7 cant upgrade to windows phone 8, but it still can upgrade to windows phone 7.8. so EVERY SINGLE WINDOWS PHONE 8 PRODUCT are allowed to install ALL WINDOWS PHONE 8 UPDATE (from 8.0 to 8.x)

this is my guess, since microsoft failed to let windows phone 7 customer to be happy, they wont fail again. if they did, most of the user will return back to android or iOS. it is possible that nokia lumia 520 can upgrade to windows phone 9.x, while nokia lumia 1520 will get almost ALL windows phone update until hardware limitation (same situation to windows phone 7, but it most likely to be at windows phone 15 [they wont publish 13 and 14, 13 is bad luck for US, and 4 sounds like dead in chinese])

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Jazmac, the 920 and all other current devices will handle GDR1 just fine. Why the doubt? There will be a cut off point of course. But GDR1 won't be it.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Jazmac, I'm running 8.1 DP on my Lumia 920 (AT&T). No problems here. I can't believe that the cyan firmware and a small incremental update added to it would be anything but icing on the cake. I'm not sure what the worries are -- it's definitely coming for the 920 and it runs just fine.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Jazmac, I'm running 8.1 DP on my Lumia 920 (AT&T). No problems here. I can't believe that the cyan firmware and a small incremental update added to it would be anything but icing on the cake. I'm not sure what the worries are -- it's definitely coming for the 920 and it runs just fine.

I have the same setup, and it's working fine for the most part. I wouldn't worry about it Jazmac! It seems that lately you've lost faith in Microsoft and Windows Phone. :-/ Hang in there!

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Are you seriously affraid your 920 can't handle the update? Why would you think that? Every Windows Phone 8 device is capable of running the 8.1 update and every WP8.1 device is capable of running update 1. Besides that all WP8 devices support all updates, my 920 runs better on WP8.1 DP then it ever did. So no worry's, sit back and relax. The hardware maybe isn't new but it is still better than most nokia budget models which also run WP8 smoothly...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the same setup, and it's working fine for the most part. I wouldn't worry about it Jazmac! It seems that lately you've lost faith in Microsoft and Windows Phone. :-/ Hang in there!
I didn't actually lose all faith since I'm still here, but I'm Jaded. Its like you get up the nerve to ask a girl to dance, she does and you somehow get the digits. High five your buds like you king of the hill. Call her up and hear, "Thank you for calling Domino's may I take your order?"
I mean its like that with me and this phone. I'm Jaded. No doubt. But still here.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I didn't actually lose all faith since I'm still here, but I'm Jaded. Its like you get up the nerve to ask a girl to dance, she does and you somehow get the digits. High five your buds like you king of the hill. Call her up and hear, "Thank you for calling Domino's may I take your order?"
I mean its like that with me and this phone. I'm Jaded. No doubt. But still here.

awkward... microsoft know what they are doing, they wont do the same thing again, they wont change system minimum requirement like how android do, microsoft will change the hardware requirement in windows phone 10 (2 to 3 years later)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

That's pretty specific man, makes me wonder...

Your 920 wont have any issue with update one. Threads like these just start scaring people for no reason. It has been said time and time again, all 8.0 devices will receive all 8.X updates. If my 520 can run all of the updates so far buttery smooth, then I don't think your 920 will have any issues.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
I haven't seen anything about Update 1 that would indicate current WP8 devices can't run it. Infact, it seems like a relatively minor update. More hardware support, and one of two new features.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This is the most pointless thread I've ever seen. Update 1 is tiny compared to 8.1. There will be no issues with the update for any phone. If you phone can handle 8.1, 8.1 update (equivalent of last year's GDR1) will run exactly the same or even slightly better as there will probably be plenty of bug fixes.

/endthread

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hm..................you Jazmac you of al people................losing faith???
Okay your phone is a bit overaged, it's almost becoming pratical useles.
So i make you a offer of a lifetime.
I have a few Droids lying arround who are even younger than that antique piece of junk you calling a phone.
Okay i even throw in my 520.
I would swap al that electronic for your 920 anytime.

Your phone outlived 8.0 and all the gdr's and now running 8.1 ( i guess ) so why lose hope now?
I know many who have phones who never see any update ore mayby a few.

WP will evolve, it must, but in order to do that, the hardware must evolve with it.
The 920 is almost two years old ( i believe november 2012 ),
hell in that time i was not even thinking about leaving Droid.
But i don't see any problems why it should not run on 8.1x
It works great under the 8.1 DP so?

There whas a guy here on this forum who once said that you must buy a phone as it is.
And not look at future expectations.
I think two years is quite nice for a phone, aspecialy how the operating systems evolves.
So the day will surtenly come that your phone ( and mine ) cant keep it up anymore.
But not today.
I think that the present generation will outlive wp8.1x
WP9 is a completely different story, but thats tommorow and we live today.

Feeling better now ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle