03-20-2016 11:42 AM
96 1234
tools
    Hi!
    First of all - DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY BETA software!
    Here is what you need to do (worked fine for me):
    You can update the software on your device using a program called Nokia Software Recovery Tool.

Nokia Software Recovery Tool is only available to download on Windows 7 and 8 computers. It can be downloaded 'here'.

If you do not have access to a computer running Windows 7 or higher select 'Over-The-Air' below.

Download and install the Nokia Software Recovery Tool onto your computer. Follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation.
    Once installed, open the program and connect your phone to your computer using a working USB cable.
    Once your device has been recognised by Nokia Software Recovery Tool, information about your device will appear on screen.
    If an update is available it will be displayed on the right side of the window.
    Select 'install' to start the update process; this may take some time depending on your internet connection.

Good luck lumia0323!
    08-14-2014 02:08 PM
    Anyone still have this issue??? My camera does not work :( nokia is ignoring me :(
    08-14-2014 03:36 PM
    THIS IS NOT A VALID SOLUTION. I AM RUNNING OFFICIAL WP 8.0 BLACK ON PHONE (NO PREVIEW) ONLY WP 8.0 BLACK. CAMERA WORKS GREAT. IF I SEARCH FOR UPDATES... Phone finds 8.1 / CYAN. Updating causes MAIN CAMERA TO DIE (when troubleshoting issue, its related to main camera). Downgrading to WP 8.0 BLACK GETS THE CAMERA WORKING... so your tip did not help me. I have tried to flash a other CYAN [ROM] also, same issue... so its not the scandinavian rom. If users having the same problem, theirs no solution for it =(
    1020r likes this.
    08-14-2014 03:38 PM
    Just officially updated today to Cyan on AT&T. 1020 camera still broken. Tried at least 5 recoveries, hard, and soft resets.
    08-14-2014 05:20 PM
    Just officially updated today to Cyan on AT&T. 1020 camera still broken. Tried at least 5 recoveries, hard, and soft resets.
    Have you tried manually flashing a rom with Nokia Care suit? Not recovery tool? Can help.
    08-14-2014 05:28 PM
    I have now ... Nokia Camera Beta ...
    Use Beta versions on your own risk.
    08-15-2014 01:27 AM
    Have you tried manually flashing a rom with Nokia Care suit? Not recovery tool? Can help.
    "The program is of course used at your OWN RISK and usage of Nokia Care Suite can void your warranty if you end up doing something wrong."
    08-15-2014 01:32 AM
    I will try to download latest Nokia Care Suite...
    Use Nokia Care Suite on YOUR OWN RISK and if you do it say bye-bye to your warranty.
    If I had issues with my Lumia 1020 I would wait for the official release.
    08-15-2014 01:38 AM
    Nokia Recovery Software Tool is the one you have to use.
    All instructions are on Nokia.com.
    If you use Beta versions or installing any other unofficial software you may lose your warranty.
    08-15-2014 01:43 AM
    just got the update on my 1020 AT&T. Camera stiiiiiiilllllllllll broke.
    08-15-2014 03:39 AM
    The camera might be broken.download as much as u can alot of camera apps to see if its a software issue or hardware issue.
    08-15-2014 03:41 AM
    Nokia Recovery Software Tool is the one you have to use.
    All instructions are on Nokia.com.
    If you use Beta versions or installing any other unofficial software you may lose your warranty.
    Nokia Care suit will install official using the proper rom code for your device. It's not hard. You can always flash over at any time with Recovery.
    08-15-2014 03:42 AM
    I tried flashing to a Canadian ROM as I live in Canada but have an unlocked AT&T 1020. It won't let me flash any ROM other than AT&T's (RM-877) due to differences in firmware. Any other options? :(
    08-15-2014 04:09 PM
    No don't swap roms between the att and Rogers/Telus models. They are not the same device and have different bands.
    08-16-2014 01:58 AM
    I have the same issue with Lumia 920: camera apps fail to load.
    On WP 8.0 main camera works fine, but front camera doesn't work at all (but front camera is useless for me and I don't worry about it).

Has anybody found a solution for the issue?

Thank you in advance.
    08-20-2014 05:42 AM
    THIS IS NOT A VALID SOLUTION. I AM RUNNING OFFICIAL WP 8.0 BLACK ON PHONE (NO PREVIEW) ONLY WP 8.0 BLACK. CAMERA WORKS GREAT. IF I SEARCH FOR UPDATES... Phone finds 8.1 / CYAN. Updating causes MAIN CAMERA TO DIE (when troubleshoting issue, its related to main camera). Downgrading to WP 8.0 BLACK GETS THE CAMERA WORKING... so your tip did not help me. I have tried to flash a other CYAN [ROM] also, same issue... so its not the scandinavian rom. If users having the same problem, theirs no solution for it =(
    I have a lumia 820 and facing the same problem. Any solutions?
    08-29-2014 11:26 AM
    Same problem with official AT&T CYAN/8.1 update in the US. Sent the phone back to nokia for warranty repair...expecting to hear the result next week.
    08-29-2014 02:59 PM
    I heard back from Nokia. They determined the phone was defective and sent a replacement 1020 that works great with CYAN/8.1. I am quite impressed with Nokia technical and warranty service!! I hope the rest of you have a similar experience.
    09-04-2014 08:49 PM
    I tried numerous soft resets, re-installation using nokia software recovery tool, resetting the camera, draining out the battery etc. Camera kept crashing. All those apps crashed which require camera were crashing. I was running windows phone 8.1 update developers preview on Lumia Cyan firmware

What worked for me?
    • Downgraded to windows phone 8.
    • Setup the phone and launched the camera, Black screen. Camera shutter remained opened. Camera apps were still crashing.
    • Performed a hardware reset using the following method:
      1. Press and hold the Volume down button and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).
      2. When you feel the vibration, immediately press and hold the Volume down button until you see a large exclamation mark.
      3. Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up, Volume down, Power, Volume down. Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)
    • Completed the phone setup and launched Nokia Camera app. Camera Working Again

Now that I know that camera is working again. I re-flashed WP8.1 Lumia Cyan firmware and did a hardware reset using the same method as stated above. Camera is back in working condition.

I think flashing back to WP8 wasn't necessary. Re-flashing WP8.1 Lumia Cyan and performing the hardware reset might have done the trick. Anyways, try this out and let us know here if this works for you.

EDIT:
    If hard resetting using above method doesn't work for you, you might try to downgrade to WP8 GDR 3, hard reset, check if camera works. Upgrade to WP8.1 Cyan.
    Last edited by simplyingenious; 09-10-2014 at 02:59 AM.
    09-06-2014 07:00 PM
    Greetings, I've been facing the same problem. The camera works with the 8.0, I updated to 8.1 and the camera crashes, not only that, the maps app is running with the same luck. I tried every soft-reset, hard reset, Nokia Software Recovery Tool, Updater Tool, nothing works. My last option was to try the hard reset steps from the comment above, but it didn't work. I updated from the official release, didn't know that there was an app intended to give preview to software. With this in mind, there is something else we can do? I'm needing the camera urgently, my job depends on it. Thanks in advance.
    09-09-2014 09:34 PM
    So it means the key was to downgrade flash of Windows Phone 8, hard reset using the above method. And then upgrade flash to windows 8.1 cyan.
    09-10-2014 02:55 AM
    Ok, then, my question is, how can I downgrade to WP8 GDR 3? It doesn't matter if I have the official 8.1 update? Thanks
    09-10-2014 08:37 AM
    I had the same issue with my Lumia 620, camera stopped responding after 8.1 update. Accidentally, yesterday I started camera and to my surprise, it started working!!! I checked with other camera apps too and it was working! Has there been some silent update?

I am happy that my Camera is alive again.
    09-11-2014 01:06 AM
    Ok, then, my question is, how can I downgrade to WP8 GDR 3? It doesn't matter if I have the official 8.1 update? Thanks
    Luckily I had the files saved from the earlier downgrade from developers preview, when I upgraded to cyan. But if you don't have the files, it can be downloaded from nokia servers using nokia data package manager.

Try searching for nokia care suite 5 and flashing process on xda-developers. You'll find some good tuts on flashing.
    Sanjeev G likes this.
    09-12-2014 08:23 AM
    I see that many are facing the same problem but Nokia refuses to acknowledge the problem or fix it, some people have reported that it is automatically fixed.

Nokia needs to speak up, else WPCentral needs to take the issue up with Nokia, this is a huge issue , esp the people who have upgraded via Dev Preview. This is such a pain. My camera has become useless.

If WPCentral posts an article on this issue maybe MS/Nokia will notice, I am sure there is a software fix for this.

09-25-2014 04:34 PM
96 1234