LUMIA 1020 - Camera does not work after update

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Recovery Software Tool is the one you have to use.
All instructions are on Nokia.com.
If you use Beta versions or installing any other unofficial software you may lose your warranty.

Nokia Care suit will install official using the proper rom code for your device. It's not hard. You can always flash over at any time with Recovery.

Kryzzly

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I tried flashing to a Canadian ROM as I live in Canada but have an unlocked AT&T 1020. It won't let me flash any ROM other than AT&T's (RM-877) due to differences in firmware. Any other options? :(

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
No don't swap roms between the att and Rogers/Telus models. They are not the same device and have different bands.

Sushniak

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with Lumia 920: camera apps fail to load.
On WP 8.0 main camera works fine, but front camera doesn't work at all (but front camera is useless for me and I don't worry about it).

Has anybody found a solution for the issue?

Thank you in advance.

krazeeknight

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
THIS IS NOT A VALID SOLUTION. I AM RUNNING OFFICIAL WP 8.0 BLACK ON PHONE (NO PREVIEW) ONLY WP 8.0 BLACK. CAMERA WORKS GREAT. IF I SEARCH FOR UPDATES... Phone finds 8.1 / CYAN. Updating causes MAIN CAMERA TO DIE (when troubleshoting issue, its related to main camera). Downgrading to WP 8.0 BLACK GETS THE CAMERA WORKING... so your tip did not help me. I have tried to flash a other CYAN [ROM] also, same issue... so its not the scandinavian rom. If users having the same problem, theirs no solution for it =(

I have a lumia 820 and facing the same problem. Any solutions?

1020r

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Same problem with official AT&T CYAN/8.1 update in the US. Sent the phone back to nokia for warranty repair...expecting to hear the result next week.

1020r

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I heard back from Nokia. They determined the phone was defective and sent a replacement 1020 that works great with CYAN/8.1. I am quite impressed with Nokia technical and warranty service!! I hope the rest of you have a similar experience.

simplyingenious

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I tried numerous soft resets, re-installation using nokia software recovery tool, resetting the camera, draining out the battery etc. Camera kept crashing. All those apps crashed which require camera were crashing. I was running windows phone 8.1 update developers preview on Lumia Cyan firmware

What worked for me?
  • Downgraded to windows phone 8.
  • Setup the phone and launched the camera, Black screen. Camera shutter remained opened. Camera apps were still crashing.
  • Performed a hardware reset using the following method:
    1. Press and hold the Volume down button and Power buttons at the same time until you feel a vibration (about 10-15 seconds).
    2. When you feel the vibration, immediately press and hold the Volume down button until you see a large exclamation mark.
    3. Once the exclamation mark appears, press the following four buttons in this order: Volume up, Volume down, Power, Volume down. Your phone should now reset and restart itself. (It might take a while for the reset to finish.)
  • Completed the phone setup and launched Nokia Camera app. Camera Working Again :smile:

Now that I know that camera is working again. I re-flashed WP8.1 Lumia Cyan firmware and did a hardware reset using the same method as stated above. Camera is back in working condition.

I think flashing back to WP8 wasn't necessary. Re-flashing WP8.1 Lumia Cyan and performing the hardware reset might have done the trick. Anyways, try this out and let us know here if this works for you.

EDIT:
If hard resetting using above method doesn't work for you, you might try to downgrade to WP8 GDR 3, hard reset, check if camera works. Upgrade to WP8.1 Cyan.

Last edited:

Esoj Utler

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Greetings, I've been facing the same problem. The camera works with the 8.0, I updated to 8.1 and the camera crashes, not only that, the maps app is running with the same luck. I tried every soft-reset, hard reset, Nokia Software Recovery Tool, Updater Tool, nothing works. My last option was to try the hard reset steps from the comment above, but it didn't work. I updated from the official release, didn't know that there was an app intended to give preview to software. With this in mind, there is something else we can do? I'm needing the camera urgently, my job depends on it. Thanks in advance.

Sanjeev G

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with my Lumia 620, camera stopped responding after 8.1 update. Accidentally, yesterday I started camera and to my surprise, it started working!!! I checked with other camera apps too and it was working! Has there been some silent update?

I am happy that my Camera is alive again.

simplyingenious

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Ok, then, my question is, how can I downgrade to WP8 GDR 3? It doesn't matter if I have the official 8.1 update? Thanks
Luckily I had the files saved from the earlier downgrade from developers preview, when I upgraded to cyan. But if you don't have the files, it can be downloaded from nokia servers using nokia data package manager.

Try searching for nokia care suite 5 and flashing process on xda-developers. You'll find some good tuts on flashing.

monotheist

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I see that many are facing the same problem but Nokia refuses to acknowledge the problem or fix it, some people have reported that it is automatically fixed.

Nokia needs to speak up, else WPCentral needs to take the issue up with Nokia, this is a huge issue , esp the people who have upgraded via Dev Preview. This is such a pain. My camera has become useless.

If WPCentral posts an article on this issue maybe MS/Nokia will notice, I am sure there is a software fix for this.

monotheist

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Can we all tweet to Nokia and Windows Phone for their attention? @nokia and @winphonesupport

​Please tweet them and get their attention.

Esoj Utler

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I see that many are facing the same problem but Nokia refuses to acknowledge the problem or fix it, some people have reported that it is automatically fixed.

Nokia needs to speak up, else WPCentral needs to take the issue up with Nokia, this is a huge issue , esp the people who have upgraded via Dev Preview. This is such a pain. My camera has become useless.

If WPCentral posts an article on this issue maybe MS/Nokia will notice, I am sure there is a software fix for this.

True. Nokia needs to recognize that the 8.1 software update is not working correctly with every phone, several phones are facing problems with this update and it needs to be fixed. Problems with the maps, "Cortana", microphone, and, the most important, the camera. The camera feature is certainly the best thing that has the Lumia 1020, my phone does not recognize that it has a camera after installing the software update, I cannot downgrade to the previous software, the company is not offering strong solutions to fight the problem, then, where is my point to continue with Nokia if they launch software updates with defects and they are not able to fix them? Loyalty? Hopes for a better future? Nokia, Microsoft, understand, this is a market, I'm just a client, I can switch to other company if I have to, we have busy lifes and we need to move on. I'm currently struggling to receive some solutions because I like my phone and I want to keep it, but I'm getting tired of this. Is so difficult to release a revised software update able to neutralize the bugs and problems of the latest update? Every company do this if they know that the recent product (software update) is causing problems, just right after a couple of days from the official release, I don't believe that Nokia or Microsoft are unaware of these issues...

monotheist

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I have tweeted to both and both just gave me a standard reply, hope it catches their attention.
can you please take time to tweet them and give them a link to this thread? Can we just spare a few mins to do that?

Rednedo7

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I downgraded my WP 8.1 preview phone to WP 8.x but then decided to upgrade to WP 8.1 preview GDR 1 earlier today.
My camera works fine with 8.x but with WP 8.1 preview or WP 8.1 preview + GDR1 the camera app
crashes (camera does not work) and Nokia Maps keep crashing. Has anyone heard about this problem?
Phone works great with WP 8.x and has Lumia Black installed.

BR/Lumia

Rednedo7

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When I put cyan on my 1020 I had a very buggy phone everything was very sluggish battery life terrible crashing .Tried soft reset , hard reset, reinstalled found the problem was with a backup I had used so done fresh reset without using the backup my phone is now working fine might be worth considering bit of a pain having to start over but so far so good

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster