Live Folders - Your opinion?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
@RumoredNow
I totally agree with your perspective; however, I think the folders might also be designed to get more users in the mobile phone market to look at Windows Phone as a possible choice. If those people spot some similarities in what they are used to, they might be more willing to switch to WP.

I've started using folders on my 1520, and I'm really digging them now. :)

msalmank

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
So both poll answers indicate a like for Folders... Read them again and see.

I could not, therefor, vote.

I don't think I'll be using the Folders. I like the tiles as is, On Android I used Folders and, quite frankly, needed them. They allowed things to be bundled by type and allowed everything to fit on one screen without obscuring the background too much. I want everything I use (or think I'd use) on a regular basis to be "close to the surface" and "immediately available." Two taps is good. One tap is better. Mind reading would be the best, LOL.

On Windows Phone I don't need to bundle. I group tiles together geographically in areas of similarity. I don't need multiple screens to fit everything in. The Start Screen is one infinitely scrolling screen that I never leave. Despite having 72 tiles on my screen (I just counted) it takes about the same amount of time to scroll to what I need as to tap a folder and identify which occupant I need. I know where things are and can always halt a quick scroll in the right neighborhood. Everything I think I want or need is immediately available and ready to tap and that makes me happy.

I think Folders is, in part, just to answer those critics from other OSs that, "Nyanyahnyahnyahnya, we got folders and you don't." Not a reason to use them, IMHO, just because they are necessary on another OS.

Aesthetically, I don't like the Folders as they start to force a uniformity of look onto the screen. "We are the Borg. Resistance is futile." I work to keep my tiles layout non-symmetrical. I mix the 3 sizes. Some are live, some are not. Some transparent, others solid. Scrolling through the screen gives me a fresh look from every "neighborhood." They all have their unique charm, but like a city; each neighborhood contributes to the whole and affect the overall character. And when it comes to Live Tiles I want them each proudly showing their stuff. Those winks of info are a huge part of what makes Windows Phone attractive to me, and more useful than another mobile OS.

And rather than obscuring the background, more tiles sets it free. My background soars behind a rapidly scrolling screen and enlivens me every time I behold it.

Just my two cents.

Continue on, Folder People, as will I.

Peace and groovyness of Windows Phone be upon you all...

Yeah, I accidentally wrote "useless" instead of "useful" when creating the poll, and there isn't any way to modify the entries after creation.

In regards to your comment: I don't believe you can compare folders on iOS/Android with Live Folders on Windows Phone. Live Folders are tiles that offer a collection of information from a bunch of applications that you would prefer to bundle together. It may be quick contacts or a collection of games or whatnot. The Live Folder tile in itself can be of three different sizes as well - just like a regular tile... thus giving you the option to organize things the way you want to.

Yes, one of the biggest factors in play on Windows Phone is the application tiles... and though it holds true that even with 72 tiles, it may not be an overhaul for some, there are those that would prefer a cleaner start screen where they can organize things accordingly. I basically see managing my start screen as a collection of application tiles (some big and some small, some transparent and some not...) along with a few live folder tiles that essentially are a collection of apps that I know that I won't be using too frequently, but would like to have quick access to when needed. There are many apps that you just don't feel like pinning on your Start menu, but going up and down the app list is a bit cumbersome compared to opening a folder and selecting it from there.

In short... Live Folders aren't necessary or a major feature, but they provide one more way of customizing your Start Screen without loosing the aspect of Live Tiles. Providing more options for something is never a bad thing... You may not use it on your screen today, but that doesn't mean you find it completely useless either.

Now I'm just wondering when Microsoft will realize that the Live Lock Screen would be better off not being an app, but an integral part of the system! I know people are saying its gimmicky, but even having the ability to modify how your lock screen operates and where it displays messages, etc. is a welcome change - some wallpapers tend to have text that comes under the default placement of the calendar appointments and other lockscreen data which can be quite unappealing! :smile:

lambomang

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The only thing that annoys me about Live Folders is how hard it can be to make them sometimes. Whenever I try to place an app on a folder it usually pushes it out of the way instead of going into it. Just a minor issue though, the rest of it is awesome.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that annoys me about Live Folders is how hard it can be to make them sometimes. Whenever I try to place an app on a folder it usually pushes it out of the way instead of going into it. Just a minor issue though, the rest of it is awesome.
Ditto. I found that by making the app small then placing it in the folder it os much easier.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I start to get annoyed because it slows certain tasks down. Got to touch the Start Menu multiple times to get to some apps now.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
To follow up a bit what StephanW said I don't know if it has been mentioned before since I have not read the whole thread but I would like it if once you open an app that is in a live folder the folder closes and the start screen returns to 'normal'. As they are right now if you back out from the app the live folder is still expanded. Only if you press the start button is the live folder closed (or tapping it again).

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
To follow up a bit what StephanW said I don't know if it has been mentioned before since I have not read the whole thread but I would like it if once you open an app that is in a live folder the folder closes and the start screen returns to 'normal'. As they are right now if you back out from the app the live folder is still expanded. Only if you press the start button is the live folder closed (or tapping it again).

Or pressing the back button once more, but yes, I do agree about this annoyance, but it doesn't stop me from using the awesome functionality.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site

I'd actually find that bothersome much of the time, since I have several folders organized so I can go through the apps in them one after the other, and don't want the folder closed between each one. I prefer the present manual close.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
And that's why making everyone happy is impossible. We all have different tastes.

Although I must say if you want folders that never close you already have that without using folders. :p

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would presume the logic is intact the way it is.... Back out of App takes you back to where you last were. I.E.: The folder.

Otherwise you have the Start (Windows) key for the start screen or long press back button for multitask view...

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
And that's why making everyone happy is impossible. We all have different tastes.

Although I must say if you want folders that never close you already have that without using folders. :p

Ah, but that uses a lot more start screen real estate, which is one of the major benefits of live folders for me. :cool:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Re: Live Folders - A small suggestion.

You can resize them.

Since someone else un-buried this old thread and I just now saw this reply to me in it, that's not at all what I'm talking about. I've got many folders that are all smaller than the available space on my screen. As in they're all four medium tiles tall (and the screen fits 5). However, when I press the button to open a folder, the OS doesn't center on that opened folder, meaning that despite the contents all being able to fit on one screen, I have to scroll down anyway. With how well-thought through live folders are in general, it's a silly oversight.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I think the live tiles for these folders are personally a bit ugly, particularly with the long tile. That said, the way they handle is out of a dream for me. I like can you can name the folder like on other operating systems, store the tiles at any size you want from within the folder, and that you still get your notifications. It was really a near-perfect way to combine a basic feature into the slowly eroding Metro UI language.

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Live Folders - A small suggestion.

Since someone else un-buried this old thread and I just now saw this reply to me in it, that's not at all what I'm talking about. I've got many folders that are all smaller than the available space on my screen. As in they're all four medium tiles tall (and the screen fits 5). However, when I press the button to open a folder, the OS doesn't center on that opened folder, meaning that despite the contents all being able to fit on one screen, I have to scroll down anyway. With how well-thought through live folders are in general, it's a silly oversight.

I actually prefer it that way. Don't think it was an oversight, but a behavioral choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb