Ability to change browser ID in IE?

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I expected this with Update 1, but I don't see it. Anyone have info on it?

Totally forgot about it until I went to HTML5Test and it showed "you are using an unknown browser that imitates Mobile Internet Explorer 10 on Windows Phone.". Usually it says "Internet Explorer X for Windows Phone X.X"

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Not the best site to use as it tests against a whole bunch of untested and unknown standards. It's a wonder it identifies a browser at all.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I would say it's because there's going to be someone who changes it *back* and then moans and complains certain sites don't work anymore.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I would say it's because there's going to be someone who changes it *back* and then moans and complains certain sites don't work anymore.

The ability to have the device recognized as Chrome, Safari, etc... shouldn't break anything but the ability to have the browser prompt a download and open the Marketplace. Various 3rd party browsers have had this ability for years, on multiple platforms.

I doubt there's an option to ID as Netscape. ;)

I assumed after reading that article, this would be more usable than it apparently is.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
The ability to have the device recognized as Chrome, Safari, etc... shouldn't break anything but the ability to have the browser prompt a download and open the Marketplace. Various 3rd party browsers have had this ability for years, on multiple platforms.

I doubt there's an option to ID as Netscape. ;)

I assumed after reading that article, this would be more usable than it apparently is.

IE on WP8 can open store (not marketplace) links in the Store app.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
IE on WP8 can open store (not marketplace) links in the Store app.

Try this on the mobile twitter site (which you get when you follow a link) and the "install app" button send you to the google play store to download the android app. Sounds like a disaster in the making

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing it depends on the site being visited - it detects certain keywords and changes the user agent accordingly.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
To reply to the guy talkin' about IE opening other apps. It's possible.
But it's up to the app, not IE.
An example is the WPCentral app. When you click on a link (in an email or on a webpage) that looks like

wpcentral:show?Article=cortana-does-some-hilarious-animal-impressions&comment=1129232

(this is an example, it's a link I got in my mail which is leading to a comment) or something similar, you'll get ported to the app.
As far as I know, any app can do this, it just needs to define that it opens that kind of links.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923