Where is NTP in GDR1?

dreamfly

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
So was exciting to get GDR1 for one and only one thing: NTP. Does anybody know where it is? Or we are still in the dark ages of not getting an accurate time in windows phone?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
So was exciting to get GDR1 for one and only one thing: NTP. Does anybody know where it is? Or we are still in the dark ages of not getting an accurate time in windows phone?

I think it's behind the scenes so we don't have to worry about it.

Entegy

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
15 seconds is not the end of the world. NTP works in the background. This will prevent drift by minutes in the future.

ncharlt

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No NTP either :( Setting an accurate time on windows phone is a nightmare!

Other than the extra timezone option, nothing seems to have changed. As a test, I manually set the time several hours out and then set the option to automatic. Many hours later, the time had not changed. This is the exact behaviour I've seen since WP first launched - very disappointing.

Regards

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
What's the problem with implementing this feature? I don't get it. I really don't get it! Is it that hard to add a feature that all the phones in the last 10 years or so?

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
It will be fool not to have a setting for this. I think MS forgot about it or could be in the next update. Haayyyy. Do MS have quality control in place?

Lewk86

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
With the simcard in, the timezone changes to the wrong zone for me and sets the time to a minute slow. With no sim card, it doesn't even change the time or date. I followed Daniel's Post on changing the settings and it didn't do anything.

Why can't Microsoft let you select a time server and tap a sync now button? Is it that hard to implement. So many apps screw up for me because of the wrong time. It's becoming painful.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Reading the article here

Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 lets you set the time without a SIM card | Windows Phone Central

Says that NTP is used when they're no SIM card present. I'm on EE in the UK, so I know that they don't offer the NITZ mobile protocol. With a SIM card inserted, I'm not able to get the correct time no matter what toggles I hit in settings->date+time. I guess that with a SIM card inserted only NITZ is used for setting the time/date.

jcboliveira

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The OEM MS site explains ntp support, it has a xml configuration file. It seems that it only needs WiFi and that the sim can be present. However right now it doesn't work in my 930.

magicaltastic

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So, something strange happened to me yesterday, my L925 continues to crash/freeze every few days since I installed WP8 DP, resulting in me having to soft reset to recover. I got Cyan and it still happens, and upgraded to the update, same again. Yesterday evening I noticed it had frozen again, I did the soft reset and stuck it in my pocket. When I took it out it showed the correct time, this has never happened before.
I experimented, changing the time manually, setting it back to automatic and watching it jump back. This was still working this morning. I had planned to do a hard reset to see if that helped with the freezing, and since then the time won't set automatically, so what's different?
Only thing that it might be is I was in a 4G area yesterday, but not this morning when it still appeared to be working.

Anyone know if Three UK does time sync over 4G, or had I accidentally got it to work and my hard reset screwed it up again? Not sure when I'll next be back in a 4G area to test it...

Cheers,
Alan

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting how Microsoft claims this feature to be implemented while nobody seems to really understand how do we enable it? For example I want my clock to auto set itself after a soft reset. It does not work, of course.

BtakB

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
You may have found it by now, as a few months have past since posting, but I've finally installed developer preview and after it had installed a number of updates found that under All Settings - "date and time" there is now an option to turn on "Set date and time automatically" and "Set time zone automatically". I turned this on and my Lumia 1020 set itself to the right time.

My OS version is 8.10.14203.306.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It didn't work for me until I flashed again the last firmware available. I did that in order to reset it, I think it could have worked even using the buttons or the reset option in settings. It drifts 10 seconds by the way, it depends on what server is set and how far away you are from it when the phone syncs with it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes