VoLTE not supported on all phones?

tomdjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

VoLTE is apparently supported in WP8.1 Update.
I have a Lumia 1520 GB CV (unlocked county variant for UK), and am using it on a carrier that supports VoLTE (the same SIM works on VoLTE in a Galaxy S5)... but the phone still uses regular 3G voice.

According to dev.windowsphone (do Google search for "Settings_for_IMS_services"), OEMs can show/hide a toggle to enable VoLTE in "Settings > cellular+SIM > SIM" (btw, should be "mobile+sim"?), but I do not have such toggle in my settings
Perhaps that means the toggle is hidden and disabled by default, unless OEMs specifically enable it (presumably on specific carrier variants)... If so that would be disappointing.

Anyone else tried this or have any news?

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Well at the moment if I'm not mistaken, no mobile network in the UK has deployed VoLTE so the option is not available for you to select. It would probably be enabled in a future update when VoLTE is enabled on the networks. I've got a Lumia 920 on EE as well but no option for that.

tomdjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but I was referring to Country Variant builds (i.e. not a specific carrier build) so there is no one except Microsoft to "enable" it. In addition, I'm actually in another country where there is indeed a mobile network with VoLTE.

Actually I kinda found the answer on WP's Uservoice, where someone writes as follows:
"WP8 already support VoLTE. It is left to OEM to enable it. See development documents here: <snip>
So at least for now it looks like it will only be OEM builds made for specific carrier partners that will support it.

shoelesself

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but I was referring to Country Variant builds (i.e. not a specific carrier build) so there is no one except Microsoft to "enable" it. In addition, I'm actually in another country where there is indeed a mobile network with VoLTE.

Actually I kinda found the answer on WP's Uservoice, where someone writes as follows:
"WP8 already support VoLTE. It is left to OEM to enable it. See development documents here: <snip>
So at least for now it looks like it will only be OEM builds made for specific carrier partners that will support it.

I was under the impression that the enabling would be done from the backend as opposed to a specific OEM build for the phone? Otherwise this would imply that if I got a SIM Free device I wouldn't be able to use VoLTE at all

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon