Consumer VPN a myth?

tomdjp

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It was widely reported that Update 1 would feature a "Consumer VPN" to provide security when connecting over public Wi-Fi hotspots, etc. However, I see no evidence of this in the build.

Re-reading Joe Belfiore's original blog comments, I wonder if reporters may have misinterpreted, and in fact there is nothing more than some minor additional settings in the existing (enterprise) VPN configuration.

In that case, users who want such protection will still need to subscribe to a (commercial) VPN service on their own and configure it in the normal way.

Has anyone been able to find/identify a Consumer VPN feature in the update?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
haven't seen anything.
although I'm not sure if they added a LLTP whatever with IPsec under the normal VPN settings in addition to ipv2

iitianshenky

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I use Windows phone 8.1 and I live in a college campus. Here in campus we use campus internet which is proxy enabled. Some of the apps like WhatsApp and Skype do not work under proxy network so I am in big trouble. I don't know much about VPN but I heard that other platforms use VPN to make those apps enabled behind proxy. As Windows Phone now supports VPN, can anyone please help me to use the apps behind proxy using the VPN service. Thanks in advance. Please reply.......

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Pptp and open vpn isn't yet supported, however I find that hide.me's free account ike2 worked pretty well with WP.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I just tried the new L2TP and it worked just fine with my VPN provider (PureVPN).

So as long as the provider has that option, I'd say there is "consumer VPN" in GDR1.

Now, WP8.1 GDR1 still handles an incorrectly configured VPN connection terribly.... I had put in an incorrect preshared key and set the connection to automatically connect (default)... apparently WP doesn't stop trying or something because it was a pain to get it back to NOT connecting at first (reboots etc). But once I got it running it worked fine. :)

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Now, WP8.1 GDR1 still handles an incorrectly configured VPN connection terribly.... I had put in an incorrect preshared key and set the connection to automatically connect (default)... apparently WP doesn't stop trying or something because it was a pain to get it back to NOT connecting at first (reboots etc). But once I got it running it worked fine. :)

That's the thing, incorrectly set VPN totally screws up the settings page and increases loading time.

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
anything new on this subject? Was this supposed to be included with Denim?

Lumia Denim Update features
"Consumer VPN – Allow you to maintain privacy and security when using data while connected to public Wi-Fi hotspots."

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone with a Denim updated phone have any information ? Anything new or different for the VPN ? L830 users? Thanks

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
A lot of the consumer VPNs rely on connections that use extremely weak protocols (pptp for one) or require a proprietary client.

I suspect that many of you will never get support for the consumer VPN you want.

elwin lobo

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
well I wanted to know on what type of protocol does Hotspot shield and the other frequently used VPN's use... any ideas when we can expect a free VPN with ads to come to the windows store..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99