Battery 🔋 (calibration ?) issues after 8.1 update

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Lumia 920. Updated to 8.1 update last night. Put the phone on charge and went to sleep. Woke up to 100% charge in the morning.

Changed region to UK (don't like Cortana alpha) which rebooted the phone. After the reboot, the charge was down to 14%.

Put it on charge again, it reached 100% in 15 mins.

Might just be a calibration issue (strange, as I didn't factory reset after updating), but is anyone facing the same issue?

********Summary***********
1. When changing the phone language/region after the phone reboots, battery percentage is down from actual percentage (In my case 100%) to 18-25%
2. Even after extended use, battery doesn't go below 18-25% (tested for 4 hours)
3. Connecting the phone to the charger brings the battery percentage back up to the actual number in 10 minutes
4. The problem doesn't happen when the phone is turned off manually (Power button, swipe down) and then turned on

*****Phone/Firmware*****
1. Problem seen on Lumia 920 with Black firmware and OS Windows Phone 8.1 update (GDR1)
2. Problem not seen with Lumia 1320 with Cyan firmware and OS Windows Phone 8.1 update (GDR1)

Last edited:

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I can reproduce the issue at will. Rebooted by changing the region again, battery down to 21% from 100%. I let it be for an hour and with heavy usage battery remained at 21%. Connected it to the charger and in 10 mins was back at 100%.

I can confirm that my wife's 1320 with the Cyan firmware doesn't have this problem (I am using 920 with Black). Maybe it is firmware related?

It would be great if someone else can confirm they see the same problem and I will post this in MS uservoice

Last edited:

SlightlyDum

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar problem... Every time I restart my phone, it shows a different percent... roughly 15% lower then before and then when i reset again it would be back to 15% higher. But the thing that sucks about my phone is that if i'm 85% or higher.... The phone turns itself off and i would have to power it up myself.

SlightlyDum

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I hope that solving the problem doesn't require hard reset...cuz no ! I won't download all my games and apps again plz !

I've hard reset twice.. The first time I didn't back up and just did a fresh reset and the problem persist. The second time, I did a back up from an older time and still the problem persist.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I am having a similar problem... Every time I restart my phone, it shows a different percent... roughly 15% lower then before and then when i reset again it would be back to 15% higher. But the thing that sucks about my phone is that if i'm 85% or higher.... The phone turns itself off and i would have to power it up myself.

Did this problem occur after the 8.1 GDR 1 update last night?

Firdaus Edymainoe

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently using the Lumia 930. So far, I've only seen two increase in battery percentage which the first time it froze and I restarted it. The second time was after I restart the phone by long pressing the power button. Running the Windows Phone 8.1 with Cyan (8.10.12397.895). Did not update to GDR1.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Had this once on original 8.1 preview back in April. Let battery run down until phone shut itself off, then recharged to 100%. The problem went away and hasn't come back, even with Update 1. Normally I wouldn't recommend doing this to the battery, but as a one-time thing it's probably not too bad.

Note: Phone is US L920 on Black.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa