No connectivity without Internet Sharing - Dev Preview 8.1 Update 1

b3040

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody,

Today, my L820, which is running the latest & greatest (hmm not THAT great at the moment - v8.10.14147.180) suddenly stopped to connect to the Internet. Just nothing did work, browsing a website, using WhatsApp, my local news app... I tried everything, reboot, soft reset, removing Wlan connection, using Cellular only or Wlan only and all I get is a DNS/Site not reachable.

Until I remembered, that I used Internet Sharing (over Wlan) in the morning: Now, if I turn on Internet Sharing, I have connectivity as long as its running - even if no client is connected. As soon as it stops, I'm left with no connectivity again.

I'm still trying to solve the issue without doing a hard reset... Anybody else facing the same issue? Any solutions (or suggestions to get closer to one)?

I recommend to not use ICS for the time being. Unless, of course, you want to help me (and probably MS) and test if it also messes up your phone's connectivity.

Best regards,
b30

(I suspect it has something to do with how ICS sets up DNS (or NAT for new connections) as old connections like WhatsApp continue to work a while after ICS was disabled until - I suspect - they have to open another connection or freshly perform DNS)

b3040

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Additional Info: Connecting to Wlan network works perfectly fine, even when it has a login page where you have to enter credentials to get Internet access. Also detecting whether the WLan has "limitied access" or internet access works fine - just no useful connection at all when ICS is off...

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like a DNS issue you have.

Unfortunately that's all I can tell you. Have you tried a hard reset? (power + volume down keys)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar thing on AT&T 920. Went out of Wi-Fi range at home (far corner of the house). Wi-Fi was showing limited or similar so I turned it off as I usually do expecting LTE to work. Phone showed LTE but no internet worked.

I used Airplane mode to switch the cellular off and on and then everything worked... but an early Skype message then popped up from a couple of hours back which to me indicates that LTE had been 'broken' for a while.

b3040

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I did a hard reset (or is it called soft reset? anyway I did the volume + power button kind of reset but not a factory reset, which will probably solve everything)...

And no, Airplane mode does not help either. Only thing is turning on ICS again... (it really seems like a DNS issue, but it's strange that it can last for almost the whole day now... I used ICS during the morning commute around 8o'clock (UTC+1) and that's 11 hours ago...)

And I also checked with other devices if I get displayed correct standard gateway, dns server etc.... in the WiFi details...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I did a hard reset (or is it called soft reset? anyway I did the volume + power button kind of reset but not a factory reset, which will probably solve everything)...

And no, Airplane mode does not help either. Only thing is turning on ICS again... (it really seems like a DNS issue, but it's strange that it can last for almost the whole day now... I used ICS during the morning commute around 8o'clock (UTC+1) and that's 11 hours ago...)

And I also checked with other devices if I get displayed correct standard gateway, dns server etc.... in the WiFi details...

Yours is an odd bug. Almost makes me scared to turn ICS on ;)

b3040

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I now performed the factory reset and everything is back to normal. Not trying to use ICS until the next wp update (or cyan). But I'd still be interested if anyone experienced the same....

darkcurse

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting, I experienced the exact same thing on an unlocked Lumia 1520. Reception said full bars and had the 4G icon and everything but it would not connect to the internet via mobile data. WiFi was fine. I didn't think to turn on ICS, I've just ended up using the Nokia Software restore tool to reset my device back to plain WP 8.1. I might give update 1 another try and see if turning on ICS solves it

MarianDE

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I have expericed the same issue after using internet sharing. But in my case I wasn't able to use neither WLAN nor mobile data.
I have tried to restart my device several times, switch WLAN and Internet Sharing on and off. Tried to activate the airplane mode, needed a soft reset because the device hangs up in the activation of the airplane mode.
After the soft reset internet was working again.

b3040

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
That's interesting, seems there this issue comes in multiple flavors...

Though, I think when caused by ICS as on my L820, it should work as long as ICS is turned on and fail to connect to anything (that is, cellular and WiFi) if ICS is turned off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre