Action Center does not not retain the action icon on status bar even though there are remaining item

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I realized that once I swipe down to open the action center, the rectangular icon on the status bar will disappear away even though I have not clear the notifications on the panel. Shouldn't the icon stay on the status bar only as long as there are more actions waiting in the panel? Why is it cleared the moment I pulled down the action center???

I think this is not friendly to the user at all.

:eck:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No. This works the same way as the email/SMS tiles. It's a notification that you have new items to see (i.e. things have appeared since you last looked at the action centre/email/sms apps).

If you've not dismissed alerts from your action centre and then a new item subsequently comes up, you wouldn't know about it.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I realized that once I swipe down to open the action center, the rectangular icon on the status bar will disappear away even though I have not clear the notifications on the panel. Shouldn't the icon stay on the status bar only as long as there are more actions waiting in the panel? Why is it cleared the moment I pulled down the action center???

I think this is not friendly to the user at all.

:eck:
Yea I noticed that, the notification icon should stay

mayur007

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
This issue i am also facing, but this issue is with inbuilt apps like Call, SMS and Email only, while outside apps works properly even if u clear from notification center its show on live title of main screen window or lock screen window. This is occurring from WP8.1 only previously it was not seen. Any solution to this problem.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No. This works the same way as the email/SMS tiles. It's a notification that you have new items to see (i.e. things have appeared since you last looked at the action centre/email/sms apps).

If you've not dismissed alerts from your action centre and then a new item subsequently comes up, you wouldn't know about it.

I think it makes perfect sense

Studio384

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
This is how it is supposed to work. Why would you want an icon in the notification bar for notifications you have seen anyway?

mayur007

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
@Studio384.........it should nt work like that, then what is the use of the live title notification. Live title notification on main screen reminds the user that so many msg is been unread even if u clear it from notification center. Live title notification is just like a backup concept which u can access it afterwas, if it is nt there for inbuilt apps then its not use.

mayur007

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Actually question ask by chmun77 and me are slightly different bt its from same notification+action center only. He asked abt the status icon and I asked abt the live title notification for inbuilt apps only

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It makes the most sense the way it is and should not be changed.

As others have mentioned, it displays *new* notifications- ones that have popped up since you last checked it. This is consistent with the way the rest of the OS works. If you have looked at the action center and not cleared the notifications, you have obviously made a mental note to address those notifications later and they will still be waiting for you in the action center later.

If the icon is back, something new has happened and it prompts you to look again. If the icon were always there then if you missed the toast (or have things configured to silently show in the action center without a toast or vibrate as I do) then the visual indicator becomes useless unless you always deal with all notifications the moment they appear. That's.... Just bad design. Don't advocate for it.

Also note that the icon appearing is *the only* visual indicator you get when the phone is set to silent mode. If the icon is already there and you're not looking at the start screen (browsing the internet, playing a game, etc) you will not be notified of a new text message and you'd have to manually check the action center every minute to see if your friend finally texted you back...
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
It makes the most sense the way it is and should not be changed.

As others have mentioned, it displays *new* notifications- ones that have popped up since you last checked it. This is consistent with the way the rest of the OS works. If you have looked at the action center and not cleared the notifications, you have obviously made a mental note to address those notifications later and they will still be waiting for you in the action center later.

If the icon is back, something new has happened and it prompts you to look again. If the icon were always there then if you missed the toast (or have things configured to silently show in the action center without a toast or vibrate as I do) then the visual indicator becomes useless unless you always deal with all notifications the moment they appear. That's.... Just bad design. Don't advocate for it.

Also note that the icon appearing is *the only* visual indicator you get when the phone is set to silent mode. If the icon is already there and you're not looking at the start screen (browsing the internet, playing a game, etc) you will not be notified of a new text message and you'd have to manually check the action center every minute to see if your friend finally texted you back...
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

Let me ask you a simple question. Will you remember that there are still outstanding items for you to check if the notification is gone, just because you slide down the action center bar to toggle a switch or just to look at the battery level? Please do note that you have not even taken a look of what's new on the action center. In other words, the new items are STILL available there on the panel, but the icon is gone. Does this actually sounds fine to you? Not me. I'm not asking the icon to stay there forever, but clearing the icon only AFTER I have ACKNOWLEDGE them or REMOVE the items. How the icon just went away because I slide down the shade? Regardless of they are the silent toast or normal ones, as long as the user has yet to see everything, the icon has to be there.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So, lets assume you have notifications that you've seen in the action centre but not dismissed.

The next time you have a new event come in, how are you going to know that something new has occurred since you last looked at the action centre?

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Um...how about the iOS notification centre? What shows up to alert you of new stuff?
Besides, this way makes sense. And @chum77, no one uses their phone that way. If you've checked notifications and ignored them, then you've ignored them. If you left then there, then you intend to check again at some point. There's no handwringing necessary

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's absolutely working as intended, and it's great this way. Swiping down the notification center acknowledges that you've seen those new items. Whether you actually open the according apps or not doesn't and shouldn't matter. This way - like someone already said - the notification icon can reappear to inform you about the arrival of NEW items.
Mail and Messages app live tiles are working the very same. Their tiles clear upon opening the app, not upon reading each single new item.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
So, lets assume you have notifications that you've seen in the action centre but not dismissed.

The next time you have a new event come in, how are you going to know that something new has occurred since you last looked at the action centre?

It doesn't matter because I have NOT ACKNOWLEDGE the new items yet at all. I have only seen the notifications, but I have not act upon the events. Should something new has occurred, just keep the icon there because new items are still there.

Don't you see the picture? I have only pull down the notification bar. Have NOT interact with the new events. If I have interacted with the new stuffs, go ahead and clear the icon, only IF there are no more outstanding events on the action center.

Using your scenario, when the lock screen notifies you of new sms. And you have NOT interact with the SMS app. Does the icon on the lock screen disappear just because you have unlocked the phone and notice the count on the sms tile? Nope. Doesn't the tile count stays there till you launch the app? Yes! Is should work the SAME for action center as well. What MS implemented is just not right.

Last edited:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
It's absolutely working as intended, and it's great this way. Swiping down the notification center acknowledges that you've seen those new items. Whether you actually open the according apps or not doesn't and shouldn't matter. This way - like someone already said - the notification icon can reappear to inform you about the arrival of NEW items.
Mail and Messages app live tiles are working the very same. Their tiles clear upon opening the app, not upon reading each single new item.

"Their tiles clear upon opening the app" You got it!! Clear ONLY when you launched the app! Not just because you see the count on the tile aka after you unlock the phone. Right? Likewise for notification center, I have only pulled down the action center to check for battery status, or even toggle switches, or going into settings, etc. I have NOT acknowledge the events. Why clear the icon???? The icon don't need to reappear at all for new items because the "past" NEW items are still there on the list! Just append the latest notifications to the list and retain the icon on the bar.

Simple said: As long as there are new items on the list, do not clear the icon. Until all items are read / acknowledge, remove the icon. Just like tile counters, the numbers are only reset when user has tapped / launched the appropriate apps. What I'm seeing here are double standards between the action center and tiles. Notifications on lock screen stay even we unlock the phone.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Um...how about the iOS notification centre? What shows up to alert you of new stuff?
Besides, this way makes sense. And @chum77, no one uses their phone that way. If you've checked notifications and ignored them, then you've ignored them. If you left then there, then you intend to check again at some point. There's no handwringing necessary

I think notification on iOS is even worse. No icons at all on the top bar. But on Android, the icons stay there until the respective app for a particular event is acted upon / acknowledged by the user. The user knows that there are new items, but what's the point of having an action center if the notification icon disappear just because user pulled down the action bar? I may not have read what's new because I pulled down the bar for other purposes like toggling switches, or going into settings, etc. The new items ARE still there on the list waiting for me to interact with. Is just don't make any sense for MS to do that.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss