GDR 1 Not Enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
First of all, let me be clear I've been a WP user for the last four yrs. And as everybody that has used WP I have gone through all the pain and humiliation towards us. Although, I owned a Galaxy I never got rid off of my HTC Radar I love that phone [I wish HTC bring something alike to WP 8.1.] I was so happy when WP 8 was announced that I did not wait to finish my contract and I got [still have] the Lumia 925 I love this phone one of the best in the market. I wont give you a history about WP 8 cause I am pretty sure you all know it. But then our wishes finally came true, MS announced 8.1 and when they let regular users like me to downloaded the new OS I couldn't be happier: Cortana, Background, new CEO* Notification Center, Word Flow, more emoticons and so on.... Then GDR 1 came alone and I am very happy with it, I love Life Folders, Apps Corner, Device Hub, new and updated apps everyday so every thing we have been asking for is coming.

But GDR 1 is not enough. Why? Because as everybody in the tech world pointed out MS did a great job to catch up and I totally agree with that statement. MS has made many WPers very happy and that is good, but there is nothing that take us apart from the competition to attract people from other OS' [Apple, Android and Blackberry] to our platform. Yes is a great update [especially if you've been using WP for awhile] but if you like me play with Android latest update you will see we still lack behind, for example our notification center is great but too limited iOS and Android give the user more power; you shouldn't have to click twice or thrice get something done. My older son has the HCT One M7 and there is nothing in WP I can use to attract him to WP, he likes some of the features of the OS but overall he is not impressed yet and there is one app that is not helping the cause [Clash of Clans] this has been a major hurdle for him to even consider WP.

Finally, MS has to bring something that people want, even if they don't know they want it/them Cortana and live tiles are great but not enough, we need that WOW! :eek:) moment* just like the first iPhone or Galaxy 4/4s MS need to let people speechless when they see, touch and use WP.

I want to give my thanks in advance for ready my post please be free to respond, I would like to have your input I prefer to see constructive comments but I just want you see what you think ..... What can we do to help WP get more noticed?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have two thoughts about this:

1) some people prefer reliability/stability/ready-made while others prefer more options/flexibility. If options always won, the iPhone's simplicity would not be a draw to millions who can afford them.

2) it's good that Microsoft isn't stopping development with 8.1 Update 1. ;)

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
tell me, what are the wow factors that a person experience when they pick up the latest iPhone 5S or Samsung Galaxy S5 or HTC One (M8)?

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
tell me, what are the wow factors that a person experience when they pick up the latest iPhone 5S or Samsung Galaxy S5 or HTC One (M8)?

The knowledge that the products are widely supported and that the platforms are two of the major players which means it is less likely that there will be trouble. For the average consumer this means a lot. iOS and Android are seen / mentioned daily in TV commercials as at least a note saying "check out our App available at <insert store>"..... WP8 (8.1) is not.

Just face it..... what is seen and known sells. It's as simple as that. WP8 & 8.1 is in the peripheral vision of the consumer.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I think windows phone 8.1 GDR 1 is great its the only OS that has evolved in a rapid space compared to any other OS...iPhone is still same and boring and trying to copy Symbian android and windows. I think nokia phones has way more innovation then apple or android devices. I love my Nokia Lumia 1020...I think where we lack is in apps and the way apps works in android and IOS. windows phone developer should makes apps in par with android and ios. AS of now iam very happy with my windowsphone. I was a person coming from Symbian...which was the best OS according to me...I found windowsphone very limited . but after 8.1 iam very happy. windowsphone OS is very smooth and stable

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, MS won't fully commit to WP and I see why.
It's only the part of their ecosystem, and not a profitable one. With Nadella in charge, I feel like the "threshold" is gonna be the last chance for WP to go big. Otherwise they will keep it on life support for infinite amount of time. Also, I think they are keeping their best things for WP9 so we won't get any realy sweet things on WP8 (both hardware and software wise).
At the end of the day, even if they will realy upset like 50% of current WP users, it's only like 1% of mobile/tablet marketshare.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, MS won't fully commit to WP and I see why.
It's only the part of their ecosystem, and not a profitable one. With Nadella in charge, I feel like the "threshold" is gonna be the last chance for WP to go big. Otherwise they will keep it on life support for infinite amount of time. Also, I think they are keeping their best things for WP9 so we won't get any realy sweet things on WP8 (both hardware and software wise).
At the end of the day, even if they will realy upset like 50% of current WP users, it's only like 1% of mobile/tablet marketshare.

Keep it on life support? The whole point of threshold is to make Windows essentially one operating system. Windows Phone isn't going anywhere except to merge with Windows. Over the next year Windows Phone won't fall into a separate category. It will be apart of all modern Windows installations with apps supported across all devices.

I've been a WP user since day one. While it's certainly lacked features comparatively, I've never doubted Microsoft's commitment to it. Why? Because they overhauled their ENTIRE product portfolio based on Windows Phone. You don't recenter your entire product line around a particular product, then drop it a couple years later.

I don't know where anyone thought GDR1 would be "enough." WP won't have significant market share for several more years. Android and iOS simply have to strong a foothold on the market. Look at Windows, it's dominated the entire PC market for almost 20 years. Even though Apple has become extremely popular and OSX is on par or better than Windows, they still can't get more than 5% of that market.

The difference will come when Windows is Windows and MS can use their existing market share of PCs to leverage in the phone and tablet market. Right now the two products are still too different.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
First of all, let me be clear I've been a WP user for the last four yrs. And as everybody that has used WP I have gone through all the pain and humiliation towards us. Although, I owned a Galaxy I never got rid off of my HTC Radar I love that phone [I wish HTC bring something alike to WP 8.1.] I was so happy when WP 8 was announced that I did not wait to finish my contract and I got [still have] the Lumia 925 I love this phone one of the best in the market. I wont give you a history about WP 8 cause I am pretty sure you all know it. But then our wishes finally came true, MS announced 8.1 and when they let regular users like me to downloaded the new OS I couldn't be happier: Cortana, Background, new CEO* Notification Center, Word Flow, more emoticons and so on.... Then GDR 1 came alone and I am very happy with it, I love Life Folders, Apps Corner, Device Hub, new and updated apps everyday so every thing we have been asking for is coming.

But GDR 1 is not enough. Why? Because as everybody in the tech world pointed out MS did a great job to catch up and I totally agree with that statement. MS has made many WPers very happy and that is good, but there is nothing that take us apart from the competition to attract people from other OS' [Apple, Android and Blackberry] to our platform. Yes is a great update [especially if you've been using WP for awhile] but if you like me play with Android latest update you will see we still lack behind, for example our notification center is great but too limited iOS and Android give the user more power; you shouldn't have to click twice or thrice get something done. My older son has the HCT One M7 and there is nothing in WP I can use to attract him to WP, he likes some of the features of the OS but overall he is not impressed yet and there is one app that is not helping the cause [Clash of Clans] this has been a major hurdle for him to even consider WP.

Finally, MS has to bring something that people want, even if they don't know they want it/them Cortana and live tiles are great but not enough, we need that WOW! :eek:) moment* just like the first iPhone or Galaxy 4/4s MS need to let people speechless when they see, touch and use WP.

I want to give my thanks in advance for ready my post please be free to respond, I would like to have your input I prefer to see constructive comments but I just want you see what you think ..... What can we do to help WP get more noticed?

How exactly have you experienced pain and humiliation using WP? I am sorry but if that is true for anyone they seriously need to get some perspective. It is an OS on a phone that is not worth any emotional investment. Personally I have experienced no pain and no humiliation and would prefer to not be lumped in as part of "everybody that has used WP."

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
. Even though Apple has become extremely popular and OSX is on par or better than Windows, they still can't get more than 5% of that market.
OS X is only installed on extremely expensive Apple hardware, and Apple is making good money on it.
One system? Yeah, sure, WP and Windows will have shared app pool in the market, but do we realy need "apps" on our desktops and laptops?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
OS X is only installed on extremely expensive Apple hardware, and Apple is making good money on it.
One system? Yeah, sure, WP and Windows will have shared app pool in the market, but do we realy need "apps" on our desktops and laptops?

Why wouldn't we? You think just because I use my laptop to code in Visual Studio that I have no use for a good weather app, a good Netflix app, a good Mint app, etc. on it?

You really think that mobile and desktops are going to remain segregated forever? If I can pack a greatly powered PC into a small tablet form, why would I ever want a big clunky desktop? Over the next 5-10 years tablets like the SP3 will replace laptops and desktops simply because there is no need to have something big and clunky anymore. You can dock a tablet and use as a desktop (keyboard, monitors, etc.) anytime.

There will always be 5-10% of the market that needs more advanced abilities like AutoCAD, Visual Studio, etc. But there is absolutely ZERO reasons those users can't use the same form factor as the rest. Especially with docking stations. If anything it's an advantage because they can have a docking station at home and work and only one computer. Not to mention a portable tablet when they need it for leasure or a job site.

I don't understand why its so difficult for people to recognize this.

I do front-end development at work. I'm trying to get a SP3 to replace my desktop there. It will be great because I can dock it in for multiple screens, but take it with me in a meeting, hold it in my lap and test a touch UI I made with the touch screen, and show colleagues how it works. Then I can take it home with me and dock it there and work just as easily.

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have gone through all the pain and humiliation towards us.

Stopped reading right there.
If you experienced "pain" and "humiliation" then you never liked the OS to begin with. Nobody forced you into this. Buy another phone if you don't like what you're using.
And don't say "us". You don't speak for everyone. Even less for me. I didn't experience pain or humiliation.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Don't you have any programs (apps = applications) running on your computer ?

Do you use MS OFFICE, that's an app (or any other office substitute), a media player for music / videos, a calculator, etc ... all apps.

BTW - whatever phone you're using is absolutely more powerful than your first computer !(unless your first computer is less than 10 years old)

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

iPhone changed the game; it was so drastically that two big houses felt under [ Motorola & Nokia]
Android gives more flexibility than WP & the iPhone, every OEM is embracing it and it took the price and development advantage that MS took for granted. Popularity & price [this one especially] is what keeps Android in the top.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
If you experienced "pain" and "humiliation" then you never liked the OS to begin with. Nobody forced you into this. Buy another phone if you don't like what you're using.
And don't say "us". You don't speak for everyone. Even less for me. I didn't experience pain or humiliation.

The funny thing is, lately I've been bragging about my Windows Phone. While I get teased about it at work a little bit (I don't care) I always slap it right back at them. To all iPhone users...

1. Do you have a glance screen with the notifications and time always there?
2. Can you double tap to wake?
3. Do you have live tiles that show counters and live data like the weather or meetings?
4. Can Siri remind you to buy something at the next grocery store?
5. Do you have a 41mp camera?
6. Why is your screen so tiny?
7. Do you have an alphabetical list of apps with a jump link navigation for those rarely used apps?
8. Can you merge email accounts?
9. Do you have a family room or groups that pull in social data, calendars, messages, etc.?
10. Do you have predictive texting?
11. Do you have a Swype style keyboard?
12. Can you talk to text through Bluetooth in your car?
13. Can you have a multi-point conversation with Siri?
14. Do you have NFC?
15. Do you have wireless charging?
16. Cam you resize and arrange tiles based on visual hierarchy, etc?
17. Can you have a theme color that is used throughout the OS and many apps?
18. Can you remote desktop to your PC and use Siri to call up that connection?

The list goes on. Anyone who claims they are ashamed should just STFU and go to Android or iOS. Like you said, no one is forcing them to buy WP.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
iPhone changed the game; it was so drastically that two big houses felt under [ Motorola & Nokia]
Android gives more flexibility than WP & the iPhone, every OEM is embracing it and it took the price and development advantage that MS took for granted. Popularity & price [this one especially] is what keeps Android in the top.

That's not a wow factor. iPhone's wow factor was in 2007. Android is simply pushed by all the carriers and OEMs. That's not a wow factor.

What's keep those two in is they are recognized and familiar. There is no wow factor either has at this point. The top 3 are pretty close with their own unique benefits. The app store is what keeps many people locked in.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
How exactly have you experienced pain and humiliation using WP? I am sorry but if that is true for anyone they seriously need to get some perspective. It is an OS on a phone that is not worth any emotional investment. Personally I have experienced no pain and no humiliation and would prefer to not be lumped in as part of "everybody that has used WP."

Have you ever hear of "making a point?" When I said "pain and humiliation towards us" is not literally is metaphorically. As a WP user I am very happy with the experience I had have with the OS. Although, there are people out there that take this literally, I was making a point that WP has not respect from the tech world, period.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The knowledge that the products are widely supported and that the platforms are two of the major players which means it is less likely that there will be trouble. For the average consumer this means a lot. iOS and Android are seen / mentioned daily in TV commercials as at least a note saying "check out our App available at <insert store>"..... WP8 (8.1) is not.

Just face it..... what is seen and known sells. It's as simple as that. WP8 & 8.1 is in the peripheral vision of the consumer.

Just because a product is well known doesn't necessarily mean there will be less problems. Android and iPhones are always having problems. In fact there is a higher level of customer satisfaction for WP users than iPhone or Android users. The fact that fewer know about WP has always been the biggest problem. Yet WP continues to grow.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Have you ever hear of "making a point?" When I said "pain and humiliation towards us" is not literally is metaphorically. As a WP user I am very happy with the experience I had have with the OS. Although, there are people out there that take this literally, I was making a point that WP has not respect from the tech world, period. And I am not speaking from anybody I just pointed out the truth. Until 8.1 WP was way behind.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
That's not a wow factor. iPhone's wow factor was in 2007. Android is simply pushed by all the carriers and OEMs. That's not a wow factor.

What's keep those two in is they are recognized and familiar. There is no wow factor either has at this point. The top 3 are pretty close with their own unique benefits. The app store is what keeps many people locked in.
Guess what? The 2007 iPhone wow! factor still on, diminishing but still strong and sales don't lie. Android has the help of Samsung and those Chinese OEMs.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
The funny thing is, lately I've been bragging about my Windows Phone. While I get teased about it at work a little bit (I don't care) I always slap it right back at them. To all iPhone users...

1. Do you have a glance screen with the notifications and time always there?
2. Can you double tap to wake?
3. Do you have live tiles that show counters and live data like the weather or meetings?
4. Can Siri remind you to buy something at the next grocery store?
5. Do you have a 41mp camera?
6. Why is your screen so tiny?
7. Do you have an alphabetical list of apps with a jump link navigation for those rarely used apps?
8. Can you merge email accounts?
9. Do you have a family room or groups that pull in social data, calendars, messages, etc.?
10. Do you have predictive texting?
11. Do you have a Swype style keyboard?
12. Can you talk to text through Bluetooth in your car?
13. Can you have a multi-point conversation with Siri?
14. Do you have NFC?
15. Do you have wireless charging?
16. Cam you resize and arrange tiles based on visual hierarchy, etc?
17. Can you have a theme color that is used throughout the OS and many apps?
18. Can you remote desktop to your PC and use Siri to call up that connection?

The list goes on. Anyone who claims they are ashamed should just STFU and go to Android or iOS. Like you said, no one is forcing them to buy WP.

I really like your list. Is a really punch back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon