Battery issue or Start Menu rare lag?? Please read

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i have a Lumia 925 developers device with WP8.1 GDR1 (Yes GDR not Update, cuz it sounds cool lol :grin:)
Anyway, i am experiencing battery issues with abnormal discharge rates like 2% in 1 minute standby, and i have done it al: soft reset multiple times, hard reset with backup restore and without backup restore and draining the battery to 0% and charging again. Nothing helped.

So i connected my device to my computer and monitored the performance on "Windows Phone Developer Power Tools 8.1" (available with Visual Studio 2013). I noticed that there is a process (StartHost.XXXX) taking up to 80% of the processor time when swiping through the start menu and around 30% in idle (When the phone is on the start screen, not locked)

startHost.PNG

Notice how it is taking 85% when going through the start menu and using 6% when doing nothing and then going up without me interacting with the phone. The average usage when idle (again when the phone is on the start screen and not locked) is around 28~35%. This is causing battery issues and the lags i get sometimes when leaving an app.

So i thought it could be because of the live tiles and the live folders, so i removed cortana's tile and look at the difference here:
startHost 2.PNG

I can say that with almost all apps open, i am not having the lag issue, but i can't report on the battery status now because this might need couple of days to go back to normal.

Anyone can confirm this, or have any ideas about this, please post here.

Thank you all for reading.:angel:

NickG92

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you have Cyan? i downgraded so i got the Lumia Black update with GDR1 and had major battery issues, i then upgraded to Cyan again and installed GDR1 and had perfect battery.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Do you have Cyan? i downgraded so i got the Lumia Black update with GDR1 and had major battery issues, i then upgraded to Cyan again and installed GDR1 and had perfect battery.

Yeah I do, I had the developers preview, then I downgraded to WP 8 to get cyan now I have WP 8.1 with cyan gdr1

Jimmy Aditya

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a problem with my battery in wp 8.1 update 1, my battery reduce 10% per hour, I Very disappointed with this update, why always microsoft release update for developer, they always have issue in battery ☹

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with my battery in wp 8.1 update 1, my battery reduce 10% per hour, I Very disappointed with this update, why always microsoft release update for developer, they always have issue in battery ☹

Well, that's why it is called a preview edition, it is aimed at developers (and the devices they use to test apps). However i think the issue i described is the thing that it eating up the battery life

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Who else thinks this might be the CPU rendering the graphics not the GPU???
I think everytime windows phone gets updated it needs a new GPU driver which is why it usually comes in bundle with the firmware.

Formula84

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
with the talk about having Cortana pinned caused the resuming wait after unlock, I figured I would remove it even though I was not having resuming... Sure enough the micro stutter/ home screen lag is gone now.

Interestingly if you shrink to the smallest tile it does not stutter... If I had to guess I would say it has to do with the circle/orb animation, if you look closely it seems to be animating while the home screen is also animating...

I think Microsoft/Cortana team needs to set the tile to not animate during the initial animation when returning to the home screen.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 slightly lags sometimes, but man I'm in Canada and we got Cortana with the update 1...my battery is horrid! I am really hoping Cyan helps correct the battery performance, I don't want to shut Cortana off...

And this is with no Cortana live tile

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 slightly lags sometimes, but man I'm in Canada and we got Cortana with the update 1...my battery is horrid! I am really hoping Cyan helps correct the battery performance, I don't want to shut Cortana off...

And this is with no Cortana live tile

You don't need to turn Cortana off just unpin the live tile

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to turn Cortana off just unpin the live tile

Live tile already unpinned...i just woke up and with Cortana off, locations disabled I still lost 20% over sleep time...this is crazy. I used to only lose 3-5%. Been happening since last update (DP without Cyan)

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Live tile already unpinned...i just woke up and with Cortana off, locations disabled I still lost 20% over sleep time...this is crazy. I used to only lose 3-5%. Been happening since last update (DP without Cyan)

Have you turned off the battery sense and Wi-Fi sense??

However I think that you have a process stuck in some kind of a dead loop, was the phone hot??

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Have you turned off the battery sense and Wi-Fi sense??

However I think that you have a process stuck in some kind of a dead loop, was the phone hot??

Im not sure how to turn off battery sense, but yes wifi sense is off. I dont believe its a stuck process as i usually reboot the phone before pulling it off the charger, to make sure nothing is running in the background. Before GDR 1, i was getting exceptional battery life, averaging 30-40 hrs on a charge. I am starting to think theres a possibility Live Tiles is causing the drain? Its the only new thing i am using compared to before. Anyway, i didnt mean to ovetake your thread...was just noting i also have battery drain problems and the occasional lag (its not horrible, but its there).

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Im not sure how to turn off battery sense, but yes wifi sense is off. I dont believe its a stuck process as i usually reboot the phone before pulling it off the charger, to make sure nothing is running in the background. Before GDR 1, i was getting exceptional battery life, averaging 30-40 hrs on a charge. I am starting to think theres a possibility Live Tiles is causing the drain? Its the only new thing i am using compared to before. Anyway, i didnt mean to ovetake your thread...was just noting i also have battery drain problems and the occasional lag (its not horrible, but its there).

To turn off battery saver open it and turn off the background task for it then go to the ssettings and disable the battery saving option.

Another thing, are you using the folders feature?? Because that has alot of animation and alot of info to display.

Don't worry about taking over the thread, it is here to help people

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes I'm using live folders,and now that I think about it I've realized the more I make...the worse my battery has been getting. Yes, they do have a lot of animation hence why I originally suspected they may be a culprit...but I didn't think to this extent. I'll be reverting to WP8 and updating normally (not DP), live tiles are nice but not worth this headache.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss