Glance not working [L920]

HvdW

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
My glance screen and double-tap-to-wake-up isn't working on my 920 after the Cyan update either and I'm sure they're turned on. Please help...

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
My glance screen and double-tap-to-wake-up isn't working on my 920 after the Cyan update either and I'm sure they're turned on. Please help...

Did you confirm they're turned on? Not just "sure"about it? The update turned it off for many, myself included. I also had to open it, and then reboot per the app to get it working

HvdW

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, their toggles are set to "on" in the settings menu. Is the another way to confirm that they are on? What do you mean you had to reboot per the app to get it working? I've rebooted the phone multiple times after toggling the switches.

HvdW

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed that my automatic brightness isn't working anymore... I don't get it! I know others have fixed this by removing their screen protectors, but I've never had a screen protector. I don't see how doing a fresh install of 8.1 could cause this.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
my suspicions of a defective proximity sensor may be confirmed.

a properly functioning proximity sensor is required for glance, double tap to wake, and governs the display during a call. (also personally noticed that it can affect autobrightness)

sometimes it can be obstructed, (such as by a screen protector, or dirt on the screen) or it can be outright defective and require service.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, their toggles are set to "on" in the settings menu. Is the another way to confirm that they are on? What do you mean you had to reboot per the app to get it working? I've rebooted the phone multiple times after toggling the switches.

When Glance sets itself up, as it apparently did for many during this update, it forces you to restart to "finalize" the install.

HvdW

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm going to try using compressed air to remove whatever is blocking my sensors. If that doesn't work, I'll be opening up the phone and cleaning that area properly. Will report back on my findings!

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Probably not helpful, but a couple of experiences I've had about freeze ups. On my Lumia 810, I've had the time stop advancing during the night.....Gee, been in bed almost all night and it still says early PM. It's always on the charger at night. Solution: Pop the battery, restart, all is well.

#2 incidents happened on one of my phones well before Lumia. Sorry I can't be specific. Android? Symbian? But who knows, maybe Lumia might do this, too, to someone, so I'm mentioning it. Phone will not respond to anything (and if memory does serve, will not start after pulling the battery. I remember great panic.............) The phone was well charged, but putting it on the charger for "a while," fixed it. Up, up, and away.

Considering the complexity of a phone, even a dumb phone, and that they make millions and millions of them, it's amazing as many work well as they do.

HvdW

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Yay! A few short blasts of compressed air to the ear piece fixed my issues! Thank you again for everyone's help :)

Considering the complexity of a phone, even a dumb phone, and that they make millions and millions of them, it's amazing as many work well as they do.

Indeed, it is a wonder. What gets me is the fact that something so sophisticated and technologically advanced can be stymied by something as basic and primitive as dust. We still have a long way to go, it seems.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Yay! A few short blasts of compressed air to the ear piece fixed my issues! Thank you again for everyone's help :)

Indeed, it is a wonder. What gets me is the fact that something so sophisticated and technologically advanced can be stymied by something as basic and primitive as dust. We still have a long way to go, it seems.

Well, file THAT one away for the future! And if you sent it in to Nokia they would have charged you $100 to fix it.

I recently got two used but still in factory boxes with all goods Nokia 925's long story (on another thread) short is that there were problems "seeing" the SIM card. Both of them, one worse than the other. All ready to ship to Nokia but over the days, I had swap many SIM's around my many phones trying to figure that and other things out.

Lo and behold, all better! Corrosion on the internal contacts, I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes