My Lumia 920 eats battery like crazy. Funny thing is that I have let's say 38% left, then turn my phone off and on again and magically now I have 26% juice left in my battery. I'm on Cyan.
    08-16-2014 09:40 AM
    When Lumia 520 screen is on the battery drops like a comet, give it just two hours and goodbye, it's crazy confusing. Always on 2g, location off, no Wi-Fi etc.
    08-16-2014 09:45 AM
    my lumia 925 with 8.1 gdr1 got worse...
    08-16-2014 09:45 AM
    My Lumia 520 could last about 4 hours if i use it continuously, is it good or bad ???
    08-16-2014 09:50 AM
    Mine improved a bit with 8.1 gdr1 unlike how it was before the update
    08-16-2014 09:51 AM
    After the update stabilized (I think it took 6 or 8 soft resets and a couple of days), the battery usage on my 920 was about the same, maybe slightly better, than it had been on the 8.1 DP. At idle with the screen off, battery usage is in the 3.5% per hour range. 'Average' daytime use for me runs around 4 to 5% per hour. Bright screens, for example in the Bing News app, jump that into the 6 to 7% range, and Here Drive + voice navigation with the screen on bumps it up to 10 to 15%, although I usually plug it into the car when I'm using that.

I don't have Cyan yet (AT&T 920), so I'm still running Black. I'm careful to only pin live tiles on the start screen that I actually look at, and turn off background usage on apps where I don't use the live tiles. I don't have the Cortana tile on my start screen, not so much because it used battery but because it never told me anything I wanted to know. Since installing the update, I've pinned 17 (yep, 17!) live folders on my start screen, so obviously I love that functionality, and have seen no battery hit from using it.

I had numerous battery issues with the original 8.1 DP. Worked through them with a combination of soft resets and analysis of the Usage screen in Battery Saver, with judicious disabling of background apps that don't need to update. Note that I have Battery Saver itself turned off, as it was a big battery waster for me, and I don't need it watching for my battery to go below 20%, since it almost never does. The patches to 8.1 DP helped, also. In late May I tried a hard reset, just to see if it would make it any better, but there was no difference, so I figure it's about as optimized as I can get it without Cyan or other MS updates. Frankly, reports like the OP's make me wonder if Cyan will be a good thing or not.
    08-16-2014 12:53 PM
    My Lumia 520 could last about 4 hours if i use it continuously, is it good or bad ???
    It is definitely better compared to my lumia 820 which barely survives 3 hrs if continuously used.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    08-16-2014 01:25 PM
    Mine's rubbish. My 521 can bare stand just 4 hours of battery life, yet again it's my "business phone" #NeedANewLumia
    08-16-2014 01:28 PM
    It's much better than it used to be, that's for sure.
    08-16-2014 01:29 PM
    My Lumia 920 eats battery like crazy. Funny thing is that I have let's say 38% left, then turn my phone off and on again and magically now I have 26% juice left in my battery. I'm on Cyan.
    My 1520 has been stellar, once I took the Cortana tile off the start screen.

wp_ss_20140816_0001.jpg
    08-16-2014 03:08 PM
    That sucks BIG time. I was hoping Cyan would help my 920.
    08-17-2014 05:51 PM
    That sucks BIG time. I was hoping Cyan would help my 920.
    I'm sure the person who has cyan hasn't calibrated the battery properly. Cyan im sure will make the battery better if not the same from DP I get 12+ hours with light to moderate use. One thing you can do is fully deplete your battery to where your phone shuts off then charge it fully overnight
    08-17-2014 06:03 PM
    Erratic battery issues seem to be the plague of WP. Right from the beginning. And in the forums there is a whole lot of well intentioned observations and advice from individuals that, really, know nothing about technologies. Not just the battery, but the phone. I've a half century dealing with electronics and battery technologies.

My battery experience on my Nokia 810 might be politely called "variable." BTW, the only way to really get a handle on what is going on in your phone is with a good battery reporting app. I use and like Battery Sense. You also have to use a stable data base, and that is in standby. My phone seems to use battery at the least in the hours after recharging. Typically, 1% or less per hour. But my experience shows that anything up to about 5%/hr is routine. OTOH, weird sudden discharge rates of 10-25% per hour! Usually rebooting fixes that.

The battery issues have been addressed to some degree of success with OS updates. They have nothing to do with Amber, Black, or Cyan. There was an update to 8.1 mid June which really helped.

I have the following always on: Wifi, 4G (it uses more power than 2G), Glance, and Cortana. People have reported that having email updating automatically, and the FB app are stealth battery suckers. Oh, I run 8.1 Update via Preview for Developers.

Unless something is really wrong in your phone or your battery is defective, a careful analyis of these matters will likely fix your issues. You can also get replacement batteries of higher capacity for most phones, even the "non-replacable" types. The 2500mah hour version I bought to replace my standard 1800mah definitely, absolutely has a lot more capacity than the OEM and has performed well for almost a year.
    08-17-2014 07:20 PM
    Erratic battery issues seem to be the plague of WP. Right from the beginning. And in the forums there is a whole lot of well intentioned observations and advice from individuals that, really, know nothing about technologies. Not just the battery, but the phone. I've a half century dealing with electronics and battery technologies.

My battery experience on my Nokia 810 might be politely called "variable." BTW, the only way to really get a handle on what is going on in your phone is with a good battery reporting app. I use and like Battery Sense. You also have to use a stable data base, and that is in standby. My phone seems to use battery at the least in the hours after recharging. Typically, 1% or less per hour. But my experience shows that anything up to about 5%/hr is routine. OTOH, weird sudden discharge rates of 10-25% per hour! Usually rebooting fixes that.

The battery issues have been addressed to some degree of success with OS updates. They have nothing to do with Amber, Black, or Cyan. There was an update to 8.1 mid June which really helped.

I have the following always on: Wifi, 4G (it uses more power than 2G), Glance, and Cortana. People have reported that having email updating automatically, and the FB app are stealth battery suckers. Oh, I run 8.1 Update via Preview for Developers.

Unless something is really wrong in your phone or your battery is defective, a careful analyis of these matters will likely fix your issues. You can also get replacement batteries of higher capacity for most phones, even the "non-replacable" types. The 2500mah hour version I bought to replace my standard 1800mah definitely, absolutely has a lot more capacity than the OEM and has performed well for almost a year.
    If you're referring to draining the battery fully then recharging overnight comment I made, it worked for me and it makes sense why it did. If not then disregard this.

"knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
    08-17-2014 10:37 PM
    Since 8.1 update 1 my L820 battery has taken a severe performance hit. Used to be fairly stable at around 2-3% drop per hour with light to moderate use. Absolutely no problem getting through a day with juice to spare. Since the update however it's now running at 10-15% drop per hour with the same usage and settings (nothing runs in the background that I don't need to). I thought it might be an issue with signal as the mast in my area has been flakey for the last couple of weeks however even with data disabled it's still as bad and in areas with strong signal performance remains poor. Last night as a test I fully charged it before bed and when I woke up this morning it was down to 48% and showing 12% per hour drop. I disabled Cortana and it's balanced back out at 2-3% per hour so things are clearly pointing in that direction. I do have Cortana pinned as a live tile so not sure if that it making a difference, will remove the tile and see if that helps. This is unsustainable however, I reset my battery stats when I noticed the problems after update one and I am barely getting 10 hours from a full charge, best so far is 11. Prior to update I was getting over 24 hours.
    08-18-2014 03:16 AM
    I'm sure the person who has cyan hasn't calibrated the battery properly. Cyan im sure will make the battery better if not the same from DP I get 12+ hours with light to moderate use. One thing you can do is fully deplete your battery to where your phone shuts off then charge it fully overnight
    I'll give it a try. But as I said, before GDR1 battery life was way better.
    08-18-2014 06:56 AM
    This post is very contradictory for anyone with intelligence reading it. First you said you don't have Cyan yet as you're still on Lumia Black but you then go on to talk about Cortana and not having it pinned on your screen huhhh. Isn't Cortana a Lumia Cyan update?? What you should have started with first is what do you actually have running on your device whether it be Lumia Black, Lumia Cyan,DP Lumia Cyan and GDR1 DP. Then go on to say what you've experienced because just reading your 2nd paragraph alone should have anyone confused.
    08-18-2014 07:12 AM
    Ya i agree.& i find another contradictory thg tat after GDR 1 dp my battery life is more beyond appreciation but i see guys complaining abt it here wondering why...?? Sent from l525
    08-18-2014 07:22 AM
    This post is very contradictory for anyone with intelligence reading it. First you said you don't have Cyan yet as you're still on Lumia Black but you then go on to talk about Cortana and not having it pinned on your screen huhhh. Isn't Cortana a Lumia Cyan update??
    Cortana came with 8.1. It doesn't have anything to do with Cyan, which is a Nokia firmware update.
    08-18-2014 09:33 AM
    8.1 DP GDR1 was KILLING my battery, like having to charge twice daily on low usage. I really do think it comes down to the Live Tiles, i had a bunch on my start screen and noticed the battery gradually get worse as every day i added another folder. I've now reverted to Production (Cyan/8.1, no GDR1) and my battery is back to normal on my 1020, 1.5 days single charge low-med use. Im really happy to see the major difference from DP to Prod, battery life wise...MS actually took their time to resolve a lot of the issues i witnessed in DP.
    08-18-2014 10:13 AM
    If you're referring to draining the battery fully then recharging overnight comment I made, it worked for me and it makes sense why it did. If not then disregard this.

"knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit and not a vegetable. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
    Love that quote!

Every NiMH or LithIon battery needs to be excercised before reaching full capacity. Yes, drain until it shuts off, wait a bit, it will fire up again, let it shut off again. Then charge fully. Lather, rinse, repeat three times. The difference will be noticable.
    08-18-2014 11:18 AM
    This post is very contradictory for anyone with intelligence reading it. First you said you don't have Cyan yet as you're still on Lumia Black but you then go on to talk about Cortana and not having it pinned on your screen huhhh. Isn't Cortana a Lumia Cyan update?? What you should have started with first is what do you actually have running on your device whether it be Lumia Black, Lumia Cyan,DP Lumia Cyan and GDR1 DP. Then go on to say what you've experienced because just reading your 2nd paragraph alone should have anyone confused.
    Exactly what I posted above, about not understanding what is what. Cortana comes with 8.1. It has nothing to do with Amber, Black, or Cyan. My 810 runs Cortana on 8.1 (Update) and Amber.
    08-18-2014 11:22 AM