Can't create start screen folder on Lumia 920

fizzymatt

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

I've been trying to create a folder on my start screen (Nokia Lumia 920, just in case it makes a difference), but whenever I try to drag a tile on top of another tile, the bottom tile just dodges out of the way.

All of the other 8.1 features seem to work just fine, and although I've followed the MS tutorial to the letter I just can't seem to get this to work.

I've tried all the different combinations of tile size, toggling the "more icons" setting, rebooting, etc, but still nothing :'(

I've not ruled out the possibility that I'm just being dumb yet, but I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on this issue, or had experienced anything similar after the 8.1 update?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What is the version of your operating system? This is not a feature of 8.1, but a feature of the next update AFTER 8.1 (and not patch update, but feature update). This update would be similar to what was called GDR1, GDR2, or GDR3, under 8.0, but they're not calling it that. I can't remember now if it is just called Windows Phone 8.1 Update or Update 1.

[some time goes by]
But since WPCentral has a nifty search feature, I can now tell you that it is called Update 1.
Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 rolling out to Developer Preview users | Windows Phone Central

Have you installed this update?

fizzymatt

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Ah, my OS version is 8.10.12393.890, but it looks as though the update is 8.10.12400.899; I hadn't realised the folder feature wasn't part of the same release.

8.1 was only rolled out to the 920 today (in the UK anyway), so I'm guessing I'll need to be patient.

Thanks for your help :)

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ah, my OS version is 8.10.12393.890, but it looks as though the update is 8.10.12400.899; I hadn't realised the folder feature wasn't part of the same release.

8.1 was only rolled out to the 920 today (in the UK anyway), so I'm guessing I'll need to be patient.

Thanks for your help :)

yeah the live folders is only on the developer preview build which currently stands at 8.10.14157.200. Put simply you'll be able to use live folders when the Software section in About under Settings reads as the screenshot.

wp_ss_20140822_0001.png

texas tk

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's been several months now, and a colleague of mine has a 925 with ATT in USA....she still can't create folders....when will that feature finally hit the 925?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Live Folders is in the GDR1 update, which is being rolled out alongside the Denim release.
When AT&T authorises the Denim firmware to be released the phone will get it. Hopefully in the next couple months...

G.

PBarrette

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I reset my phone to factory because the Developer Preview was causing me too many problems. Now that I'm on the retail version for AT&T I'm really missing a few of the GDR1 features, especially folders. Come on AT&T, what's the holdup?

Kascha K

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I reset my phone to factory because the Developer Preview was causing me too many problems. Now that I'm on the retail version for AT&T I'm really missing a few of the GDR1 features, especially folders. Come on AT&T, what's the holdup?

Same here. I just did this last night into today because the power button stopped working consistently and the phone suddenly went berserk. Not refreshing the screen quickly or doing anything else right, not turning off (only rebooting), etc. I'm on a 1520. I backed up, did my factory refresh, restored, and am now using HeaderTiles to separate sections and had planned to start grouping tiles up and I can't do it.

My phone is on Cyan and trying to update gets me nothing. How long are we going to have to wait for Denim now? They're supposed to be releasing Windows Phone 10 Q4 of this year aren't they? What's wrong with AT&T that we don't even have latest 8.1 yet?

PBarrette

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
My phone's on Cyan, but I believe it's GDR1 for 8.1 that's needed. Of course your chances of getting Denim are better than mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro