Anyone still getting the 0x80188308 error?

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I was just curios to see if people are still getting the 0x80188308 while trying to update from 8.1 (dev preview) to 8.1.1. I've had this issue for the last few weeks. I've not heard anything from Microsoft regarding this issue thus far, only the fact that they've acknowledged it. I understand that they are most likely pretty close to a fix, I was just wondering if it's just certain devices that are affected, or if it was a broader spectrum. I myself have a Lumia 820.

SymmetryPlus

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm still getting 80188308 errors when I try to update to 8.1 GDR1 and it's affecting several different models of Nokia Lumia, plus Samsung and HTC too.

From the few official Microsoft updates I've seen, there's still no indication of how far away we are from a fix.
Do you have information that leads you to understand they are pretty close to a fix?

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes I'm still running into this, just tried yesterday. Can't do software recovery tool either as I don't have the right version of Windows on my PCs (Vista and WinRT).

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm still getting 80188308 errors when I try to update to 8.1 GDR1 and it's affecting several different models of Nokia Lumia, plus Samsung and HTC too.

From the few official Microsoft updates I've seen, there's still no indication of how far away we are from a fix.
Do you have information that leads you to understand they are pretty close to a fix?

Sadly, not as such. I did however reach out to Microsoft's dedicated Windows Phone twitter to see if I could get a rough idea of how they're going about it. Didn't really get much of an answer I'm afraid. Only that they were working on it, and that if I have this problem, I should add my experience to the forum post. When I said that they're most likely close to fix, I was mainly going on the time since they acknowledged the problem, and when they said they were working on it. I understand that is quite naive and ignorant, as we have no information on how complex (or non complex as the case maybe) this issue is. Just hoping for the best really :winktongue: Also, it's very interesting to see that it affects a variety of users in many countries and different handsets. There doesn't seem to be a particular pattern or similarity when it comes to this error.

Last edited:

cbomb

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I had to do a hard reset the other day to fix an unrelated issue and it also happened to fix this update error. Sooo glad because it was getting quite frustrating.

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Hard resetting loses your game data progress on sd card right? As when you reinstall the games it doesn't read the app data already on the sd card but overwrites new data right?

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Still getting the annoying 0x80188308 error for the past month, tweets to #WinPhoneSupport and #joebelfiore were both ignored...

adrian1338

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
well obviously everyone who got that error still gets it because there has not been a fix yet. I hoped WPcentral would take some action and research on that matter but well

keysersoze#CB

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I too have that error (Samsung Ativ S SGH-i8750). I have been told that a hard reset will fix the problem, but thats not working for me.
So do you need to do a hard reset with the SIM card in the phone?

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Pretty annoying that it is still not fixed.. Make us early adopters happy and we will do the word of mouth advertising, not sure why MS doesn't understand this basic.

hikaruwpc

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
/rant starts

Just want to add my frustration to the thread. Every time my 925 prompts me that there is an update available for my phone, it's a sad reminder that Microsoft doesn't care much about their most enthusiastic users. It's has been more than 1 month since Joe Belfiore's "sit tight" tweet, how long more should we wait before we just bite the bullet and do the recovery thing, or even leave for other greener platforms?

/rant over

SymmetryPlus

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
As a pessimist, I'm beginning to think that DP users affected by 80188308 who are unable or unwilling to try a hard-reset / roll-back to WP8.0, have been hung out to dry. What do you think the chances are that disabling the DP option, and just waiting for an official 8.1 GDR1 upgrade, will avoid this error?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs